Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)  (Read 42694 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)
« Reply #210 on: December 29, 2013, 03:42:21 pm »

I decided to give MekHQ a try today and had fun figuring it out and making my own little campaign... unfortunately, there do appear to be a fair amount of bugs, and it hasn't really kept up to date with MegaMek. The version it uses is 0.35, but the latest one is 0.37. I also wasn't being charged for all the purchases I was doing, which makes the entire finances thing moot, and I often needed to close MekHQ and restart it to get a fight going.

Still, it has a ton of potential. I assume it uses the rules from some of the latest rulebooks?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 14, 2014, 01:58:54 pm »

I rejoined the Mekwars campaign as the Capellans. I highly doubt I will be playing a lot, but perhaps I can get a game or two a month or so. I played a round today and remembered why I quit in the first place, haha ;) But I'm in the mood for some persistent tactical games, and this fits the bill.

I'm still really annoyed that your units levelling up is bad instead of good. I mean, you'd like improvement to be a good thing, right? :P Instead, it increases your BV in a way that makes you outclassed. Oh well.

I'm also investigating other types of games that have persistence. Modern fantasy sports incarnations like Grind or Dreadball, and skirmish games like DeadZone, or FiveCore/Five Parsecs From Home. I got a bunch of clay that I am hoping will become miniatures!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 14, 2014, 02:10:54 pm »

I rejoined the Mekwars campaign as the Capellans. I highly doubt I will be playing a lot, but perhaps I can get a game or two a month or so. I played a round today and remembered why I quit in the first place, haha ;) But I'm in the mood for some persistent tactical games, and this fits the bill.

I'm still really annoyed that your units levelling up is bad instead of good. I mean, you'd like improvement to be a good thing, right? :P Instead, it increases your BV in a way that makes you outclassed. Oh well.

I'm also investigating other types of games that have persistence. Modern fantasy sports incarnations like Grind or Dreadball, and skirmish games like DeadZone, or FiveCore/Five Parsecs From Home. I got a bunch of clay that I am hoping will become miniatures!

Related, I redownloaded the MechWarrior Online a couple of days ago and have been trying it out. It seems to have improved a lot recently and the community warfare/clan wars/faction wars thing is apparently about to come out soon. The meks feel very different to each other compared to 6 months or so back.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 14, 2014, 02:13:22 pm »

One of the fun things about Battletech for me was that I got to try out lots of different combinations of mechs... in MWO it takes forever to get enough credit to try out one new mech, so that bums me out a bit. Might be time to reinstall and give it a try though :(

Perhaps I'll take the jump once those clan wars things come out. That could be fun! Is it just teaming up, or will there will be actual consequences to fighting?

Also relatedly, I found out that Mechwarrior Tactics apparently is no longer being developed :\

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 14, 2014, 02:20:11 pm »

One of the fun things about Battletech for me was that I got to try out lots of different combinations of mechs... in MWO it takes forever to get enough credit to try out one new mech, so that bums me out a bit. Might be time to reinstall and give it a try though :(

Perhaps I'll take the jump once those clan wars things come out. That could be fun! Is it just teaming up, or will there will be actual consequences to fighting?

Also relatedly, I found out that Mechwarrior Tactics apparently is no longer being developed :\

Well an XL-engine assault mek is about 15 mil credits and standard-engine meks are 8,5 or so at highest. Mediums are 4 to 5 mil. My stats page says I average about 99k/game without premium account, about 600-700k/hour, so compared to World of Tanks there is almost no credit grinding.  :)

Clan Wars will apparently have a star map where planets will be changing owners with maps(randomly/semirandomly generated maps using existing map objects and assets coming too) depending on the planet. The map is actually already in the game. I'm a bit worried about the large number of factions, though... The game queue waiting times may become high.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 15, 2014, 04:46:10 pm »

80 games for one new mech, and that's if you don't want to customise it... I dunno :P Especially if you're terrible at customisation, like yours truly, then it's really hard to get particular enjoyment out of buying all the wrong weapons...

Also played a 3200 BV match where I had 4 vees and 2 infantry, vs 4 mechs. It about two hours and a half. He had the upper hand in movement, though I had a fast Condor. Most of my Vs had Large Lasers, and two had significant amounts of SRMs. One had LRMs too. It was wide open terrain. It took forever, but and it was neck-and-neck, but I ended up winning (barely). Two of my vehicles exploded, one platoon was annihilated, but I destroyed two of his mechs and cripped the other two. My two remaining vehicles were almost out of armour by the end of it, and could barely move anymore.

It was an interesting match. I was more vulnerable to crits from side-hits because vehicles, and he was much faster, but I had significantly heavier weaponry. He had precision AC/5 and AC/2, which he used well for critting.

Gosh, I'm not getting into another fight anytime soon. Almost 3h. Ugh. I wish someone would come up with a simpler mech game!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2014, 04:53:24 pm »

80 games for one new mech, and that's if you don't want to customise it... I dunno :P Especially if you're terrible at customisation, like yours truly, then it's really hard to get particular enjoyment out of buying all the wrong weapons...

Also played a 3200 BV match where I had 4 vees and 2 infantry, vs 4 mechs. It about two hours and a half. He had the upper hand in movement, though I had a fast Condor. Most of my Vs had Large Lasers, and two had significant amounts of SRMs. One had LRMs too. It was wide open terrain. It took forever, but and it was neck-and-neck, but I ended up winning (barely). Two of my vehicles exploded, one platoon was annihilated, but I destroyed two of his mechs and cripped the other two. My two remaining vehicles were almost out of armour by the end of it, and could barely move anymore.

It was an interesting match. I was more vulnerable to crits from side-hits because vehicles, and he was much faster, but I had significantly heavier weaponry. He had precision AC/5 and AC/2, which he used well for critting.

Gosh, I'm not getting into another fight anytime soon. Almost 3h. Ugh. I wish someone would come up with a simpler mech game!

Yeah those MekWars battles take forever. Everyone there thinks their moves a lot, as if they only thought when it was their turn to move, even with such tiny armies... MWL 15k BV games in urban terrain can be over quicker.  ::)

Would you be interested in playing random MM games some time?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2014, 04:57:06 pm »

I guess I ought to try MWL at some point... this guy also didn't want to simfire, which makes the game like maybe 1/3 faster...

I don't even know how you get 15k BV :D

I actually rewatched us playing the other day - we had a livestream going at some point, with Xeron DFAing and Alpha Striking everywhere... oh, and getting an assault mech prone behind a hill ;D

I'd love to do that at some point, but probably not until the semester is over. There's been way too much work and I don't really want to commit to anything else right now...

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 15, 2014, 05:16:24 pm »

Np and I'm not looking competitive playing either. All a single small game, or two, should take is 2 hours. :)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2014, 02:08:40 pm »

PTW. Wish I could figure out that MekWars client.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 17, 2014, 02:10:51 pm »

Yeah, the Mekwars client is particularly confusing. People are generally super helpful though, so you should just ask around! I was taught most MekWars systems by people in my faction and even people in other factions.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2014, 02:12:42 pm »

Client.Jar should launch it. IIRC the default server address is wrong and you have to find the correct one somewhere. It also takes a while to connect the first time as the client (slooooowly) downloads the server side data. It doesnt help that it often gets corrupted and you get incredible bugs, so the server data has to be manually deleted and then downloaded again.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2014, 02:19:59 pm »

Someone should hop on IRC and walk me through it. Need to redownload now that I'm aware people actually play this! I still have my old Battletech figures. Couple power armor squads, assorted inf including guards and guerrillas, two aggro mechs, Arrow IV carrier, hovercrafts, a T copter-

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2014, 02:23:11 pm »

Someone should hop on IRC and walk me through it. Need to redownload now that I'm aware people actually play this! I still have my old Battletech figures. Couple power armor squads, assorted inf including guards and guerrillas, two aggro mechs, Arrow IV carrier, hovercrafts, a T copter-

Cant help on IRC but I can later(not today) play MekWars, Mekwars Legends or just mano et mano MegaMek games. Its difficult to get an opponent as most people seem to already be in groups or play their private or only the public MekWars campaigns.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2014, 02:25:18 pm »

Can't do it now, busy with work.

If you decide to go for Mekwars 3025, then all you gotta do is download the zip file, unzip it, and double-click on the .bat file in there. It will launch it (if you have java installed).

Choose a login/password, and you'll get a couple of prompts saying how you register your nickname. Then you'll get assigned to the Solaris tutorial faction. You will be able to set up your own armies from the mechs/vehicles assigned to you, and you can start asking questions. There's usually always someone online! They'll probably even give you a game :)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20