Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)  (Read 42708 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2013, 12:55:26 am »

Got the Atlas shelved for the moment. Did put together a Heavy lance though. And two medium/light lances and one vehicle lance.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2013, 04:27:00 am »

From my limited experience, heavy lances are actually quite rare (most players love their vee armies too much), so might as well use them to increase your flu generation.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2013, 12:11:08 pm »

Asuncion got raided by a heavy Capellan lance, so I sent my heavy lance in to stop the blighters.

Composition:
WHM-6R
ON1-K
TDR-5S
TBT-5N

Deployed in the northern part of the capital city, with the Warhammer and Thunderbolt walking down parallel streets, the Trebuchet a block or two behind them and the Orion about four blocks to the east.

Enemy forces at first appeared to be overmatched -- a Griffin, Blackjack and Cataphract (3025 version). The Warhammer and Cataphract faced off, but things went bad early when an alpha strike from the 'Hammer whiffed on about half the rolls (on a BTH of 7). Meanwhile the CTF got in a lucky shot to the head and tore the armor off and bruised the pilot. Started backing up the street and trying to flank it with my Orion while the TDR and TBT dealt with the two mediums.

Then a mechanized infantry platoon scooted around the corner and right up under my TDR, who was busy trying to close and pound the GRF and BJ at close range, where most of their weapons would be at a major disadvantage. At point blank range like that, I couldn't target them with weapons. And kept missing kicks. And couldn't target them with the TBT because building were blocking LOS.

Eventually, the CTF got in *another* head shot and decapitated my Warhammer. I had started doing some real damage to the BJ and GRF and moderate damage to the CTF, but I had taken more of a beating than I expected. My Orion had managed to flank the slugging match and was closing in on them when his fourth mech emerged from around a corner -- an undamaged, 95-ton Banshee.

I didn't panic because the Banshee is fairly undergunned for an assault mech, and my Orion was still in pristine condition. But then it ran up and pushed my Trebuchet so that it fell backward into a small ornamental pond in the city center, which breached a couple of locations and flooded. Tried to stand up but had a blown hip actuator and fell and breached another compartment.

At that point, I signaled surrender. Put a beating on three of his mechs (and finally killed a handful of infantry late) but no kills. Lost my headless Warhammer to his salvage crews.

Never had that much damn trouble with an infantry platoon before.  :'(

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #153 on: November 29, 2013, 12:21:14 pm »

Aw man, that's a heavy lance! What's the BV on that? Are you using the RedKing username in-game? Just jumped in to see if I saw you :)

Who were you fighting? CC has some really great commanders! And then there's me ;D

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 29, 2013, 01:01:40 pm »

Do you have anti-infantry weapons besides flamers and machine guns available? I always have enough SRM/MML tubes(with inferno ammo) and/or a plasma rifle in each army to counter TSM units, BA, and the rare infantry...

I just managed to put my 11 kBV c3 army(Battlemaster and Cronus being the shooter-spotter pair) into action the second time, and they won again without a loss. Whee! My opponent fielded one of the most powerful IS meks, a Thunder Hawk, but failed to utilize it too well. In the end the lone, fast and jumpy Cronus of mine tied down both the Thunder Hawk and a fire support Yeoman, while my army just pretty much crushed the other 3 meks of his, and then the accurate c3-guided fire took away the Thunder Hawk's head.

edit: I'll be on the Bay 12 BT Steam group chat tonight.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:06:17 pm by Erkki »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2013, 01:39:26 am »

Do you have anti-infantry weapons besides flamers and machine guns available? I always have enough SRM/MML tubes(with inferno ammo) and/or a plasma rifle in each army to counter TSM units, BA, and the rare infantry...

3025 doesn't have either MML tubes or plasma rifles.  It's either inferno missiles (short or long), flamers, or machine guns.  From what I recall, the TDR has machine guns.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2013, 12:01:06 am »

It had MGs, but couldn't target at range 0.

I'm rapidly losing interest in MekNET. Always seems to be a dozen or so people on, but apparently none of the people who aren't actively fighting keep their units deployed, so I can't attack jackshit. Seems stupid to have to "request" a match in order to do anything.  >:(

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2013, 02:16:21 am »

It had MGs, but couldn't target at range 0.

I'm rapidly losing interest in MekNET. Always seems to be a dozen or so people on, but apparently none of the people who aren't actively fighting keep their units deployed, so I can't attack jackshit. Seems stupid to have to "request" a match in order to do anything.  >:(

Yeh, and then you may end up against a force of slightly higher bv that is tailored against your faction or known/guessed style...

What time zone are you at?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:19:11 am by Erkki »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2013, 10:39:03 am »

Yeah, it could be a timezone issue. A lot of people are permanently on in case they need to be called on as moderators, but aren't actively engaging. I feel like others prefer to hand-pick their opponents - sometimes not very innocently.

I usually find about 10-20 people on (evenings EST, or GMT-5, and during weekends), but haven't really had any particular problems finding matches. Sometimes I just activate and get attacked, and sometimes I call out for matches and someone ventures forth. That my ELO is low probably helps finding opponents, hehe :)

How many armies do you have? I've got three, spread between 2600-4200, which gives me a fair spread of BV to fight with. That helps in finding opponents. A lot of people also fight with small vehicle lances, to build up their resources for replacements in heavier lances. It's a good way to start :)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2013, 11:05:45 am »

I know it's sacrilege but there is nowhere else to talk about this thing that has me so excited but here.
I recently acquired all 8 of the original Robotech RPG books from the 80's! It is what led me to Btech and Mechwarrior, so it is somewhat related. I'm just so excited that I had to tell someone and this is the closest topic. Sorry to interrupt!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2013, 11:56:20 am »

I'm only playing with Megamek as i'm not interested in multiplayer and i've been enjoying a lot my battles with the Princess bot, as the game is very dependant on the dice rolls when it comes to initiative and hits the bot can then be sometime a very good challenge.

But i hope the devs will work on Princess calculation time optimisation, while Princess is already much better than the other nameless bot on that (the nameless bot is atrocious for the time it takes before making any move), i noticed that if you give more than 4 mechs to Princess, its calculation time increase a very lot for every single of that bot mechs movement.

For those playing with the Princess bot, you can improve its calculation time by doing the following :
- Click on Game Options
- In the "RPG Related" tab enable "(unofficial) Individual Initiative"

To me this really helped , with larger army the bot does not seem to wait forever anymore at some point

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2013, 11:58:55 am »

I know it's sacrilege but there is nowhere else to talk about this thing that has me so excited but here.
I recently acquired all 8 of the original Robotech RPG books from the 80's! It is what led me to Btech and Mechwarrior, so it is somewhat related. I'm just so excited that I had to tell someone and this is the closest topic. Sorry to interrupt!

Congrats!

I've sort of stopped playing MegaMek because I won my last match.  Kinda want to go out a winner instead of playing again and losing.   :P

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2013, 12:06:44 pm »

Congrats!

I've sort of stopped playing MegaMek because I won my last match.  Kinda want to go out a winner instead of playing again and losing.   :P

3 victories in a streak here!  :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2013, 12:14:31 pm »

Congrats!

3 victories in a streak here!  :P

Congrats to you also!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2013, 02:05:19 pm »

Hahaha :D

Hemmingjay, this can definitely be used as a generic Battletech thread! Do you also get to pilot massive battlemechs in the RPG? I'm afraid all I ever did was read (and enjoy, somehow!) the DnD 3rd edition rulebooks. Never played though!

Hah, I still put in a match every now and then, when I get time. I mostly lose, but I've won a few when luck was also on my side. Luck will always be a significant factor, but you'll notice that some players tend to always win and others tend to always lose. That says a lot about how much of a role luck plays! At the campaign level you've got how you build up your armies, and at the tactical level there's so many ways to optimise movement and positioning that I couldn't even believe it at first.

I became aware of this during a particular battle when I examined my to-hit numbers and the enemy's to-hit numbers more carefully. It turns out I was always firing at a +1 compared to him, probably because he was always doing his utmost to move his mechs in the most efficient way across several turns, and kept me at optimal firing ranges while he kept himself at less than optimal firing ranges from me. The main point is that a difference of 1 in the to-hit number usually means somewhere from 40% to 200% more likely to hit.

Over several turns, that does not mean he is being luckier - he is being smarter! :)

Robsoie: I never won against Princess, though I admit I haven't player her in a while. I dare say for the usual mech lances of about 4 mechs, the decision times might end up being around the same (or longer) for human or for Princess. Individual initiative means Princess doesn't need to decide on which mech goes first (by optimising moves for each mech, and then seeing which one has the best payoff), and can instead focus on optimal moves for a single mech. That's why it's faster, probably :)

I also doubt they will develop the AI further - MegaMek is mostly supposed to be an MP experience, I believe.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20