Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)  (Read 42724 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: B12 reinforces Battletech MekWars 3025 campaign! (newbies welcome!)
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2013, 01:26:20 pm »

;)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2013, 02:29:18 pm »

To clear things up, in 3025 one always starts in Solaris, then defects to the faction of their choice.  The Solaris meks aren't the property of the player, and they don't go with the player.  In my case, I started in Solaris just like everyone on the server, then chose to join/defect to Periphery.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2013, 02:30:18 pm »

Yeah, I definitely haven't seen too many Periphery players, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding battles :) What timezone are you? I don't think I've seen you in-game!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2013, 02:39:34 pm »

Yeah, I definitely haven't seen too many Periphery players, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding battles :) What timezone are you? I don't think I've seen you in-game!

I've only just started, and my time playing is sort of erratic.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2013, 02:44:03 pm »

Legends sounds cool, but I've far more familiar with the 3025 timeline vs. 3068. All sorts of new units that I've never heard of.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2013, 02:48:26 pm »

Yeah now you know my feeling with all of Battletech, hah :D

Still, between MekWars 3025 and MWO I'm pretty happy that I can recognise the Blackjack, Hunchback and Quickdraw plus a couple of other names...

Sooooo many mechs though! You get much fewer mechs in MekWars 3025... I wonder why that is?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2013, 02:54:48 pm »

Yeah now you know my feeling with all of Battletech, hah :D

Still, between MekWars 3025 and MWO I'm pretty happy that I can recognise the Blackjack, Hunchback and Quickdraw plus a couple of other names...

Sooooo many mechs though! You get much fewer mechs in MekWars 3025... I wonder why that is?

The campaign system - a player draws a full regiment of units, and gets replacements only once 85% of them (of original unmodified BV) has seen battle. Each unit may only be used once, and since theres no scrapping, every unit gets used at some point.  :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2013, 02:57:30 pm »

Oooooooooh, that finally clicked now! Now I understand it :)

Do you HAVE to replace them at some point, or can you keep them for as long as they survive? And reinforcements come in a huge batch again?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2013, 03:06:45 pm »

Oooooooooh, that finally clicked now! Now I understand it :)

Do you HAVE to replace them at some point, or can you keep them for as long as they survive? And reinforcements come in a huge batch again?

Nope, one can pull whichever type of units wished still. But theres a certain minimum busy technician(=hangar space) number required to be able to enter the "minicampaign" and play the first game after the refit phase.

edit: so yeah the reinforcements do arrive in a big batch, but you get to decide how big it is yourself... But usually its best to completely fill the hangar, as that lets one build more balanced armies(more units to choose out of and it isnt critical if theres no job found for say 4 or 5 meks).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:10:49 pm by Erkki »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2013, 04:56:15 am »

One big problem with being in such a small faction is that I don't usually have anyone whom I can ask for advice on my lances.  If you're in a faction with at least one other person online most of the time, they at least can give an opinion (even if they're worse at lance construction that you are).

I'd love to post my lance designs here, but then you'd all know what I'm fielding!  ;D

Just lost two games due to automatic conditions (too low BV et cetra).  The first I probably would have lost anyways, but in the second we both only had one mobile vehicle, all his immobile vehicles had locked turrets facing the wrong way, and my immobile unit didn't have turret lock.  And in my opinion, my remaining mobile vehicle could have taken his.  Grr...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2013, 10:42:56 am »

Seems like we are doing different timezones, which is a pity! :(

Those conditions can be a little annoying yeah... sometimes it's worth ganging up on some immobile unit just so it loses BV and you achieve the victory conditions. Feels a bit gamey, but it helps you down the enemy's BV!

I'd love to get some mech discussion going here. I'm still in the process of getting to know them! I'll post what I have when I get home, since I lose them at a fast enough rate that you'll likely never encounter them, hehe :) I'm basically running two armies between 2800-3300BV, one made of vehicles and another made of light/medium meks. I'm very wary of getting my heavier meks into battle until I feel I have a chance...

I also had a very quick look at MWLegends yesterday and although the mechanics of it seem really interesting, I was rather put off by the community. I might look into it again in the future, but most people agreed that games are rather long (though they can sometimes finish early). Some said they tend to reserve a 2-4h window for games and such, and the game that I watched for about half a hour had barely started hostilities by the time I had to leave.

I was looking for the smaller matches, but from what I was told it's not too far from MekWars 3025, so I dunno whether to join both or not.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2013, 10:52:32 am »

Yeah I reserve that long too for playing - but only because finding an opponent might take a while and to look through the formed armies one more time. Better have more time than needed than not enough...

I dont think I've ever played a game longer than 2,5 hours, except those 4 vs. 4 MMNet/Mekwars games.  :D

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2013, 11:13:27 am »

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B61jXwPkBvx1NU9qWW5mc3hvNWc/edit?pli=1

You may find that document interesting... Notice that just the first 10 pages or so are on the campaign itself - the following 100+ pages can be applied to BT directly elsewhere too.  :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2013, 11:16:23 am »

Holy moly cow insane mother of Armok, that's a big document!

Where does it come from? Is it supposed to be public? Could I add it to the OP?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 11:19:50 am by Anvilfolk »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2013, 11:19:03 am »

Holy moly cow insane mother of Armok, that's a bit document!

Where does it come from? Is it supposed to be public? Could I add it to the OP?

Yeah I think that you may... The authors should be listed in it somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20