Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)  (Read 42676 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: B12 reinforces Battletech MekWars 3025 campaign!
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 12:48:17 pm »

Does anyone know if MekWars/MegaMek actually allows you to customise the mechs? There's a HUGE list of mechs, so I'm wondering whether we only get to pick those out or whether we can actually build them, which would be absolutely awesome :) Even if you can't do that, heat is DEFINITELY a concern during battles!

Another interesting thing about ammunition is that it explodes... in the quick game we played yesterday, our mechs were carrying machine guns, which are smaller weapons that do little damage but also produce no heat, so if you're close enough, you might as well use them! The problem? The ammunition can explode on a critical heat. And that's what happened to my mech... the MG ammo exploded with a whopping 380 damage and took the entire mech away with it.

Needless to say I didn't get in a single hit with the MGs :D

However, you need ammo for all sorts of other weapons like Short Range Missiles (SRMs) and Long Range Missiles (LRMs), for the Auto-cannons which can do some pretty insane amount of damage, and so forth!

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: B12 reinforces Battletech MekWars 3025 campaign! (newbies welcome!)
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 01:34:13 pm »

MGs are good for taking on infantry and exploiting areas that are missing armour to get lots of crits. Otherwise they're not really worth it, (especially due to the aforementioned ammo explosions) :D

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 02:44:44 pm »

I glanced through the game and played a quick match against another player. Got my ass handed to me. Not sure if it's something I'll enjoy though. I'll have to put some more time into it and find out.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2013, 03:43:39 pm »

MegaMek can load customized 'mechs (and tanks, ASFs, BA, etc...) I haven't done so in a while, so you'll have to read up on it yourself, but I can confirm it's possible.

MekWars does not use customized 'mechs. Most 3025 'mechs have flaws purposefully built into them, which makes them more challenging to use for the player. Custom 'mechs would obsolete many of the stock ones, which you might or might not consider a good thing.

MGs produce no heat, and thus on some units they can add significant extra firepower with little drawback. Furthermore, MekWars lets you configure your MGs to burst fire, which will increase their damage at the cost of heat. I don't remember the rule exactly, but I think you do 1d6 damage and the same amount of heat?

And yes, ammunition explosions will ruin your day. You can dump the ammunition, should you consider the weapon not worth the risk (MGs and SRM-2 on the Thunderbolt springs to mind.) But you best do this with no hostiles around, as any hit to your rear can result in an explosion as the ammo is dumped out.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2013, 03:58:45 pm »

'Machine Gun Ammo' is just a fancy way of saying 'Bomb'.

Today I got completely hosed by someone using only vehicles. I'm such a scrub.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2013, 05:36:49 pm »

Hey, play with me and you can hose someone yourself! What with my luck at exploding gyros and ammo, you should be fine :D

Rabid_Cog: Are you doing MekWars already? I'm super glad there's so much "new blood" going there. It seems like the kind of thing that deserves more attention than it gets!

Kanil: yeah, that makes sense. I think I've got my MekWars configuration to use Burst Fire, but missed the option in MegaMek :)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: B12 reinforces Battletech MekWars 3025 campaign!
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2013, 06:25:42 pm »

Heat is also the big other concern, as 'Mechs will rapidly overheat under normal circumstances, causing them to force-shutdown.  Energy weapons generate enormous heat, as well as missiles, while ballistics generate less heat (normally).  Handling your weight in the 'Mechbay and your heat on the battlefield is the real core of gameplay.  You try to get both of these as streamlined as possible, and combat equipment comes naturally from the excess space/heat you learn to shave down.  Energy is generally not a concern, as it's assumed beam weapons have their own generators (probably nuclear) with enough charge to last through any given battle.  Ammunition for ballistics and missiles, however, is a very real concern.

In-universe explanation for energy weapons is that they pull directly from the Mech's fusion reactor. Another protip: when deciding on weapon loadouts, the general idea is that you want a big damage weapon like a PPC, high-caliber autocannon or large laser, followed up by "spread" weapons like missiles, machine guns, LB-X autocannons or a slew of lasers.

The reason is that once an armor section has taken enough damage to drop it to zero, further hits will damage the internal structure and give you a chance at critical hits for each point of damage. Unlike a lot of FASA's other products (like the Renegade Legion line or even the Battlespace complementary system to Battletech), damage is recorded as a straight numerical value rather than an armor template. Ten points is ten points, regardless of whether that's one PPC hit, ten LRM hits, five SRM hits, ten machine gun hits, etc. When you hit with a missile salvo, every five points of damage is rolled on a semi-random table for hit location. So the more hits you get, the more chances to hit a location where the armor has been breached.

So ideally you want to punch a few holes in an enemy's armor with the big guns, then focus on spraying them with small multiple-hit weapons to increase the likelihood of critical damage. A critical hit can completely knockout a weapon or other system, torso critical hits can damage the servo or engine (both of which are major hindrances), and lucky cockpit critical can injure or kill the pilot outright.

You can either try to balance that in a single design (like the Griffin, Thunderbolt and Orion) or --and this is where the real mastery of the game begins -- in using multiple specialized mechs well together. A Warhammer + Trebuchet + Spider, for instance. The Warhammer uses its twin PPCs to punch holes in an enemy, which the Trebuchet saturates with missiles, while the agile Spider keeps harassing the enemy by manuevering into its rear arc. (Rear armor is far thinner than frontal armor, so that even light mechs can cripple a haevy or assault if they can get in the rear arc and stay there.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2013, 06:31:01 pm »

PTW. I'll read when I'm not so tired and can understand what's going on.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2013, 07:02:39 pm »

To clarify on what RedKing said and to avoid confusion, each instance, not point, of internal damage gets you a roll on the critical chance table, and each successful crit knocks out a component in the affected zone. Which component knocked out, however, is completely random, one of the factors that led to the original Awesome (AWS-8Q I think?) being labeled a 'Zombie' due to the sheer amount of armor and heatsinks it had, lowering the chance of a sweet crit.

Speaking of criticals, there's also the Through Armor Critical, also known as a TAC or Golden BB. I'm going to assume most who have played at least some Mek know that after getting your to-hit roll, you also roll on where on the 'Mech the round lands, and that getting the boxcar 12 lands you a headshot. Rolling a snake-eyes 2 is almost as good though, because it also gets you a roll on the critical hit chart, even if you hadn't pierced armor. Where you get the crit depends on the rules however, default is in the CT location, where your damage goes with a 2, while an often-used optional rule has you roll location again.

This leads to an optional lance loadout if you happen to feel lucky, where you load up on as many multi-hit weapons as possible in an attempt to TAC and headshot enemy mechs with as much weight of fire as possible. But really shouldn't be used in the current 3025 era, without the LBX autocannons that made this tactic viable.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2013, 07:15:11 pm »

What is a good initial bit of lore one should read? I understand that's how everyone came to know the mechs, their usages, and all that stuff. So far I'm still only getting into the technical parts, but would like to know more :)

In the meantime, I'm on Steam in case anyone wants to drop by. I'm getting dinner soon, but after that I might be up for a game or teaching what little I know to someone who hasn't played before!

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2013, 09:04:14 pm »

Sarna is probably the go to wiki for Battletech. Here's a link to their history section.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/History

Personally I tuned out around 3060, I think it gets pretty silly after that.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2013, 11:50:27 pm »

Agreed. Once FASA sold the rights, it went downhill pretty fast IMHO.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2013, 11:02:53 am »

I'll read the overview, but am wondering whether the actual novels are worth reading :) Any particular suggestions?

In the meantime I'll be around for a bit of the day, on Steam and checking the forums. Let me know if you want to play some!

--- edit ---

Also, since there are no games bigger than 1v1 people, do we all want to join a specific faction or go to different factions so we can fight each other?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:09:42 am by Anvilfolk »

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2013, 11:48:18 am »

I think the Gray Death Legion novels are widely held up as a strong point in writing if you`re looking into the operations of a Merc unit.
For major plot moving, I would recommend the Warrior series by Stackpole as long as you can deal with some 1 dimensional characters and the Kell Hounds being pretty much the biggest Mary Sues. They cover a lot of the 3025-30 era.

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2013, 06:43:32 pm »

I have now played 3 games against other players, and I have made a few discoveries.

1) I can't win initiative rolls for shit.

2) If I take a bunch of brawler mechs, the game will dump me on a wide open map with no cover.

3) If I take couple of longer range units, the game will dump me in a city map where you can barely see 3 hexes.

4) I pretty much always need a 12 in order to hit. This particular one I suspect might be my own fault.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20