Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)  (Read 42673 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)
« Reply #240 on: November 19, 2014, 08:06:45 pm »

Looks like you should update your Java version, according to a quick google for that error. Try Java 1.7 or 1.8.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2015, 06:19:07 pm »

Thought I'd post this here: http://battletechgame.com/

Looks like the people behind the reboot of the Shadowrun games are going to develop a turn-based Battletech game.

TACTICAL ‘MECH
COMBAT RETURNS TO THE PC.

Harebrained Schemes is pleased to announce their return to Kickstarter this Fall to partner with Backers in co-funding the creation of BATTLETECH. Jordan Weisman, the creator of BattleTech and MechWarrior, is back with the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over two decades. Steeped in the feudal political intrigue of the BattleTech universe, the game will feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics.

Colour me EXCITED.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 01, 2015, 03:49:53 am »

Me too!

Though apparently at least at first the player's force will be at most just 4 mechs... And that it apparently sticks to year 3025 and the early BT fluff of a neofeudal post-apocalyptic universe with very scarce resources. I never found that very believable, but the game may turn out to be good by itself still!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 01, 2015, 08:51:07 am »

Me too!

Though apparently at least at first the player's force will be at most just 4 mechs... And that it apparently sticks to year 3025 and the early BT fluff of a neofeudal post-apocalyptic universe with very scarce resources. I never found that very believable, but the game may turn out to be good by itself still!

Do you have a source of information that I don't have? Where did you get that from?

Honestly, I don't think I'm too bothered with just 4 mechs - kind of like XCOM, really. I would like battles to be relatively fast. For me, if the game has a meta-campaign but each tactical battle lasts +30m, it starts to feel a little grindy/bogged down.

I'm really excited for the RPG stuff. One of the things I never really liked about these MekWars campaigns was how leveling up your units was actually a bad thing, since their BV would get out of control and they stopped being competitive. I makes me not get attached to my assets, or get angry at them, which is the exact opposite of the thing that made the new XCOM game so good.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 01, 2015, 10:01:03 am »

Do you have a source of information that I don't have? Where did you get that from?

Honestly, I don't think I'm too bothered with just 4 mechs - kind of like XCOM, really. I would like battles to be relatively fast. For me, if the game has a meta-campaign but each tactical battle lasts +30m, it starts to feel a little grindy/bogged down.

More discussion there: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/computerconsole-games/new-battletech-game-coming-from-the-shadowrun-returns-devs!/

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 01, 2015, 02:41:06 pm »

Me too!

I'm really excited for the RPG stuff. One of the things I never really liked about these MekWars campaigns was how leveling up your units was actually a bad thing, since their BV would get out of control and they stopped being competitive. I makes me not get attached to my assets, or get angry at them, which is the exact opposite of the thing that made the new XCOM game so good.

Find someone to run a camping for you. MekHQ does wonders for that. Handles most of the administrative shit to.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 01, 2015, 02:51:06 pm »

That's great if you've got regular time to commit to it. I generally find I don't anymore :(

I've played with it by myself, but it's just not the same if you're the GM and the player too :)

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 01, 2015, 03:01:15 pm »

That's great if you've got regular time to commit to it. I generally find I don't anymore :(

I've played with it by myself, but it's just not the same if you're the GM and the player too :)

Yeah, that certainly is the truth. It was just a suggestion, I didn't remember if you knew about it or not.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 01, 2015, 03:01:54 pm »

I forgot to thank you! Thanks! It was a great suggestion. I wish I did have time, to be honest :)

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 09, 2015, 01:07:34 am »

No worries. :P

Anyways, Actually got started on a fun campaign yesterday with Facekillz. It's using ABT rules for the moment though once he gets a bit more experienced I'll probably take over playing the opfor. It was his first experience with megamek and BT and all of that fun.

I've actually been sort of debating trying to run a campaign with a few players, but I'm not sure. Timezones and sessions would be hell to work out. It would probably end up being RP light just because of how little I actually know about the background lore.

GundamMerc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 05, 2015, 12:35:49 pm »

I'd be willing to join.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 04, 2015, 05:36:17 am »

Had a pair of good matches on one of the megamek servers. Mek wars dominions. Set in the star league area.

have my faction set to the territorial states. Gave myself the alliance armored division formation which means that via the server rules, I'm limited to light mechs only but I can use any class of vehicle.

Played two matches, got my ass kicked in the first one entirely.

The second one was much more interesting. Had a pair of puma heavy tanks and a alacorn and a locust variant carrying rockets. For support, I had a AC/5 autocannon battery and a foot platoon with a support laser.

Ended up fighting against the lyran commonwealth with a player sporting a goblin medium tank, a motoried riflemen platoon, a rifleman (energy variant) A marauder and a wasp.

Had the battery firing constantly and that just wrecked the wasp right as he was getting in range. Meanwhile I had my pair of pumas going in full reverse while opening up on the approaching rifleman and goblin. Had most of the fire directed at the rifleman. It went on like this for a few turns and I ended up stripping off nearly all of the rifleman's armor, only for my locust to zoom up behind him and miss every rocket he fired. So I had the locust charge into the rifleman and broke all of his rear armor and fucked up most of his heatsinks.

At this point, my alacorn was trading shots with a hawk that kept jumping around. He sadly ran out of ammo. (I really should of noted that the damn think only had four shots.) When he ran out of ammo, he was pretty much ignored. The rifleman had fallen back at this point. His wasp was dead. He had his goblin tank charging at my battery and a lucky shot made him immobile, my battery finished him off next turn.

At this point, my puma which had my commander in it was stripped of armor on all sides from long range fire from the rifleman and the marauder and had it's ppc damaged so it couldn't return fire. He was killed shortly after by infantry swarming over him. I adjust my other puma so it could fire at the hawk and use it's rear mounted flamer and laser to toast the platoon that had been crawling over the command puma. Sadly I missed the damn hawk and his guns tore through my battery and left two men standing in it.

Next turn the rifleman kills my alacorn and the match ends with a loss for me.

The remaining forces were:
3rd alliance armor division-
One Puma tank, perfect health.
One infantry platoon, half of the men are dead.
One autocannon battery, two men remaining.

other team:
Rifleman with critical damage
Hawk with missing right arm and medium armor damage.
Maruder with no damage.

It was a fun match. I think I did fairly well considering the guy I was playing against had a hell of a lot more experience than I did. Not to mention it was my first set of matches in something like half a year I think.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 04, 2015, 12:00:35 pm »

It was a fun match. I think I did fairly well considering the guy I was playing against had a hell of a lot more experience than I did and a Marauder and a Rifleman. Not to mention it was my first set of matches in something like half a year I think.

Fixed that for you.  Those mechs rock, especially in combination.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 04, 2015, 12:04:20 pm »

I think I became a little too disillusioned with MekWars. My ideal is having a mech/merc company that you improve over time, become stronger and so forth. But the way MekWars 3025 was set up, at least, was that if your pilots got better, your BV would spike and that'd make your lances worse, not better, compared to someone whose pilots were crappier.

And so basically it was a game about being unhappy that you were doing well, because when you did well, you did worse.

It's kind of like, here's persistence, but now you don't want things to persist. You want to lose your units as soon as they get better :\

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 04, 2015, 12:11:58 pm »

I think I became a little too disillusioned with MekWars. My ideal is having a mech/merc company that you improve over time, become stronger and so forth. But the way MekWars 3025 was set up, at least, was that if your pilots got better, your BV would spike and that'd make your lances worse, not better, compared to someone whose pilots were crappier.

And so basically it was a game about being unhappy that you were doing well, because when you did well, you did worse.

It's kind of like, here's persistence, but now you don't want things to persist. You want to lose your units as soon as they get better :\

You could try mek-wars dominion. It's more rules intensive than mekwars but I enjoy it a hell of a lot more.

The differing formations are neat. My formation pretty much allows me to have any class of vehicle, but I can only buy light mechs. Hence why most of my lances tend to consist entirely of vees with the odd light mech in a supporting role.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20