Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20

Author Topic: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)  (Read 42689 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)
« Reply #195 on: December 24, 2013, 08:21:08 pm »

And there's also this http://megamek.info/mekhq !

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 25, 2013, 02:03:53 am »

Used to be a forum that hosted single mercenary lance campaigns.  One player would create their mercenary company, and other players would play the assigned foes.  I think there was a campaign manager that set the forces, created campaigns, and so forth.  It was a good read, I just wish I remembered where I saw it.

bagele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 25, 2013, 09:10:37 am »

And there's also this http://megamek.info/mekhq !

Didn't even know they had made that program too! Pretty impressive stuff.

Apollyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 28, 2013, 02:01:13 pm »

I want a MekHQ campaign so badly. I did an inhouse of it, and dear lord, the awesome is overwhelming.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2013, 02:03:54 pm »

What's so much better about MekHQ vs MekWars? I really like the persistence of your actions in MekWars, I admit :) Even though I mostly do raids rather than skirmishes, which start involving land exchange :)

Apollyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 28, 2013, 02:59:22 pm »

Cause MekHQ is way more persistent. You get actual salvage. I remember one time I was trying to dismember a clan mek to put his sensors and engine in one of my meks, and their clantech is so high, my techs were difficulty 11 or 12 to actually do the customizations, and it took like... 3 months or something to do it.

You can do that with all salvage. It's a PITA though, cause, if you want to change something on say your LT, you have to remove the armor, and to do that, you need to remove the arm, etc.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 28, 2013, 03:06:29 pm »

Tip with modifications in MekHQ: ALWAYS move mechs into the factory before customising them. It helps keep the difficulty down (By about -4, so it's pretty big)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 28, 2013, 03:10:58 pm »

I think the best for small player number GM'd(or not) campaigns, especially if role playing a mercenary group, the best one is the MekHQ. Outside of that, MekWars... Mainly because it tracks all the planets and everything on them and once put up and running on a dedicated server, it can be played on by anyone vs. anyone.

Refits and c-bills for faction military units never made any sense in the first place so they can be just removed. Your sponsor is an entire thousand-billion population star federation that trains your pilots too, so why wouldn't you have the money to repair an AC/5? :)

I've had the arranged games thread up in the Steam group for some time now, but looks like people aren't interested.  :-\

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 28, 2013, 04:46:31 pm »

I'd be interested in a RP driven campaign. To be honest, I'm not exactly one of the best players, but I think it'd be amusing to run with a few other players.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 28, 2013, 04:50:50 pm »

You guys are totally selling me on this MekHQ thing, hahahah :) Has it kept up with Megamek developments? I know Mekwars and Megamek seem to be developed almost in tandem, but I haven't seen anything about MekHQ!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 28, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »

From the looks of the current version I'd say it does, but I can't really comment about it. And I'd be interested in such a campaign as well, as an Aerospace pilot, or an infantry man (Battle armour or not, doesn't matter)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 28, 2013, 08:03:37 pm »

I think the best for small player number GM'd(or not) campaigns, especially if role playing a mercenary group, the best one is the MekHQ. Outside of that, MekWars... Mainly because it tracks all the planets and everything on them and once put up and running on a dedicated server, it can be played on by anyone vs. anyone.

Refits and c-bills for faction military units never made any sense in the first place so they can be just removed. Your sponsor is an entire thousand-billion population star federation that trains your pilots too, so why wouldn't you have the money to repair an AC/5? :)

I've had the arranged games thread up in the Steam group for some time now, but looks like people aren't interested.  :-\

Some of the fluff actually talks about Mechwarriors not being able to get replacements for their mechs.  The stories about the Centurion's Gyro being so rare that it's literally worth it's weight in gold and so forth.  Course, most of that fluff is from the 3025 era, when Mechwarriors were more like feudal knights and LosTech was a thing.

Apollyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 29, 2013, 12:47:48 am »

I'd be up for a RP driven MekHQ game as well.

I had a really great idea like some time ago, where every player would play a certain unit. I was stuck between the Swords of Light and Word of Blake, and couldn't decide. But basically, each player would play, say, the Shadow Divisions. So one would be the 41st Shadow Division, another the 49th, etc.

It never took off, cause I couldn't find like-minded players. MekHQ has everything Mekwars has, and honestly, I think it does them way better. Mekwars is way too impersonal for me, so to speak. It's like a game of chess. MekHQ makes me feel invested. It's a hands on approach. Everything depends on you. Even something as simple as timing jumps to another system, with mek repairs. There was one time I had to field a mek without his left arm, cause I was installing Ferro-Fibrous armor on top of a new actuator. I forgot about it, jumped to defend a system, and realized I had to wait two days before the mek was ready, which was not an option.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 29, 2013, 12:53:25 am »

Yeah, that does seem amazingly cool - I really should try it out at some point. However, I find it hard to commit to weekly sessions for instance... I guess that's what Mekwars gives me: flexibility. If I want to play a match, I can join and see if anyone's up :)

I'd love to see LP/AAR of the MekHQ campaign though. If anyone's going to organise one, give me a blurb and I will update the OP accordingly!

Apollyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 29, 2013, 11:00:50 am »

I could maybe run one short campaign, to teach people how it works, and all. But I am mostly interested in playing it, not running it. Also, I am very random, so I may not be consistent in running the campaign. But I can at least promise long gaming sessions when I am on.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20