Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most horrific injury/health problem  (Read 2228 times)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Most horrific injury/health problem
« on: November 05, 2013, 10:50:33 pm »

what's the worst you've ever encountered?
I think syndromes which rot the whole body take the crown.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Silfarion

• Bay Watcher
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
Re: Most horrific injury/health problem
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:54:18 pm »

HOLY CRAP
BEARDS! BEARDS FOR THE POOR!

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 11:04:37 pm »

8 military dwarves are like this.. surgery is underway but i doubt any will be saved.
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:10:14 pm »

I recall seeing a video by PlumpHelmetPunk where Jefmajor had his left testicle nommed on by a trog, it subsequently got infected. Let's just say it pains me to think about it.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:23:16 pm »

Looks like the dwarf is rotting.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 11:26:59 pm »

but what's the worst injury that a dwarf has recovered from?  anyone got some good pictures of gnarled veteran dwarf watch?

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 11:27:37 pm »

I've had dorfs lose all of their fat to fire breathing creatures. They live, but I can only image them as leathery husks.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:59:27 pm »

but what's the worst injury that a dwarf has recovered from?  anyone got some good pictures of gnarled veteran dwarf watch?
hey this guy isn't dead yet, give me time!

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 12:00:59 am »

Do you count people who have had entire limbs mangled by were-creatures? I had a weremongoose mutilate one of my haulers that just magically regenerated his limbs.... You know.... Using the restorative powers of the mongoose!
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 02:22:26 am »

I've had some dwarves survive having all their skin (but I think no internal organs) rot. Evidently, the surgeon only had to remove the rotten tissue from their upper lips, and then the rest magically went away. The only side effect was "somewhat impaired" vision.

I also have one dwarves currently surviving (more than 5 years) with rotten guts. Some other dwarves died from the same syndrome, and one or two survived until they died of other causes.

My militia commander fell on his head as a child and has a permanently "dented" brain as a result. He's also one of the guys who survived the skin rot.

One of my other soldiers passed out during a zombie siege. The zombies all focus-fired her head, but since they couldn't penetrate the helm, the only shots that got through were shots to the face. Now her description says, "Her left cheek bears a huge dent, her right cheek bears a huge dent, her left eyelid bears a huge dent, her right eyelid bears a huge dent..."

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 07:29:47 am »

One of my other soldiers passed out during a zombie siege. The zombies all focus-fired her head, but since they couldn't penetrate the helm, the only shots that got through were shots to the face. Now her description says, "Her left cheek bears a huge dent, her right cheek bears a huge dent, her left eyelid bears a huge dent, her right eyelid bears a huge dent..."
on that note i remember a dwarf who lost both eyelids.
that's gotta be unpleasant.

Merari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 07:31:46 am »

My militia commander fell on his head as a child and has a permanently "dented" brain as a result. He's also one of the guys who survived the skin rot.

Your military is led by Opie?

This can either go horribly wrong or horribly right.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 11:08:55 pm »

Your military is led by Opie?

This can either go horribly wrong or horribly right.

In Dwarf Fortress, horribly wrong is horribly right.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 12:06:03 am »

In earlier versions, mere rain would cause the dwarf's fat to boil inside his skin. Also, if you get skin only necrosis, then it's perfectly survivable, but the moment a dwarf takes any damage, he dies.

Also give a dwarf with poor intelligence and memory and no diagnosing skill the job of diagnoser for laughs. "Stubbed toe? Better pull his lungs out."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 10:07:27 am »

Evidently, the surgeon only had to remove the rotten tissue from their upper lips, and then the rest magically went away.
I think that's just a display issue -- not in the sense of the game failing to display something, but in what it chooses to display.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2