Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves won't tan hides  (Read 6398 times)

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't tan hides
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:35:33 pm »

My dwarves won't tan any hides, and I can't queue the job in a tanners shop. I also tried adding tan a hide jobs through the manager's screen, but that isn't working either. When I try the workshop it says under reagents: "Urotten TAN_MAT-producing body part." I have multiple stacks of unrotten skin; there's an untasked stack of 15 unrotten llama skin in a food stockpile not 3 tiles from the tanner's shop in fact. I had auto tan enabled in the workshop orders when the animal that produced the skin was butchered and it didn't queue it then obviously.

I haven't done anything to the creature raws or the material template raws; just to make sure I checked and all the skin templates have the appropriate TAN_MAT tokens.

I'm using dfhack, but the only commands I've run are siren, cleanowned, and removebadthoughts (I'm a cheater, so sue me).

Anybody have any thoughts, or should I report this to the bug tracker?
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't tan hides
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:40:51 pm »

Are there any links on the stockpiles, or any stockpiles linked to the tanner's shop?

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:41:46 pm »

Nope. And nothing forbidden.
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 04:44:49 pm »

has any other job claimed the skin, like a store item or another tanner's shop?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 04:53:53 pm »

I think it's fairly low priority. I usually assign a good number of dwarves the tanning job. It should however queue itself automatically in the tanner's workshop.

How did they get into your food stockpile? They usually go to refuse I think.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 05:32:33 pm »

The closest I've come to this problem is the dwarves not butchering or slaughtering animals that I have in cages, but it may be a similar issue, make sure the hides aren't forbidden and you may need to activate "tanning" for more dwarves...

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 05:42:04 pm »

Are your butchers' shops outside?  If so, you'll have to (o)>(r)>(o), in order to allow your dwarfs to gather the skins from the butcher's shop in the first place.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 05:52:19 pm »

Also, make sure the entrance to the tanner's shop isn't blocked.  Each workshop has certain tiles that must remain unobstructed.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 05:56:58 pm »

Alright, so my subject seems to have caused some confusion. It's not so much that the dwarves won't tan the hides, as I can't queue the tanning jobs in the first place.

• The skin is not forbidden
  • The skin in not hidden
  • The skin is accessible (dwarves can path to and from it)
  • The skin is not rotten
  • The skin is not claimed by another job
  • Everything's under-ground
  • The shop itself is not blocked

How did they get into your food stockpile? They usually go to refuse I think.

The food stockpile has skin under the fat category.
The refuse pile has Fresh Raw Hides under the item types category.

Is there a difference? I butchered live animals, and it gave me skin. According to the dfwiki, skin is what is tanned into leather. So....

dafuq

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 07:57:54 am »

You don't have to do anything, the tan jobs are added automatically. (Unless, maybe you have accidentally changed the option in the order menu?)

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 10:36:46 pm »

The jobs weren't added though. The tanners shop was up when the animals were butchered, and the dwarves were set to auto tan hides in the work orders the whole time.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 11:18:55 pm »

Do you have a kitchen? if the "skins" are actually fat, they may be meant to be turned into tallow, not tanned into leather... if this is still a problem, try getting your hunters to catch something and see if other hides are working...

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 12:06:24 am »

The kitchen has no tasks queued, and I can't add a render fat job either; it says it requires Unrotten FAT RENDER_MAT-producing glob. All the fat I did have was automatically properly rendered.

To be clear: the skin items are not claimed by any job whatsoever. I can move them around by blocking them in one stockpile and allowing them in another.

Anybody want me to put the save up so you can take a look at what's going on?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 05:15:11 am »

Are you sure those are skin and not wool? Skin doesn't come in stacks (and it would rot much too quickly to have 15 unrotten hides - which would require slaughtering 15 llamas); wool is a "wool/hair" type object and isn't auto-queued for anything. You must order a "spin thread" job at a farmer's workshop, and a spinner will convert it to yarn thread (one thread, giving one bolt of yarn cloth, per stack of wool).

If you possess any unrotten hides, the game will normally automatically line up a "tan hide" job at the tanner's, there's no additional managing needed. If this doesn't happen, you've either messed up auto-queue options (i think that's somewhere under "o"rders) or there really are no unrotten hides around.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 08:48:25 am »

It might be useful for you to post your savegame so we can look at it more closely.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2