Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233]

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 335429 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #3480 on: August 22, 2024, 04:15:26 am »

Bird diapers are a strange thing to think about.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: August 23, 2024, 01:13:43 am »

Citizen Scientists Spot Super Fast Moving Object In NASA Data
456±27 km/s
The velocities (Table 1) indicate a slightly retrograde motion relative to Galactic rotation (VLSR = −292±19 km/s), with a trajectory directed radially inward (ULSR = 449±28 km/s) and constrained to the Galactic disk (WLSR = −15±11 km s−1)
(1.02 ± 0.06)×10^6 mph (miles per hour), 0.00152 ± 0.00009 c (speed of light), and for comparison
our Sun moves around the center of the Milky Way at a speed of 240 km/s (149 mi/s), or 864,000 km/h (536,865 mph)

The median speed is just below the Galactic escape velocity at the Solar radius, with current estimates ranging from 521+46 −30 km/s (Williams et al. 2017, 1.6σ above) to 580±63 km/s (Monari et al. 2018, 1.8σ above)

Edit:
estimated distance of 125±8 parsecs
408±26 light years, 1/110 the radius of the Milky Way galaxy ( ≈ 13 kpc )
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 01:30:11 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: August 23, 2024, 04:00:58 am »

FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: August 23, 2024, 05:57:43 am »

Citizen Scientists Spot Super Fast Moving Object In NASA Data

Here is another article on it:
https://thedebrief.org/nasa-citizen-scientists-spot-unidentified-speeding-object-racing-through-space-at-1-million-mph/

I bet it's Jebediah Kerman!

(In early KSP and on at least one clone/similarly-themed Android version, I have been known to almost trivially throw craft into highly retrograde hyperbolic orbits, even without any true gravitational slingshotting. With that, I'd be surprised if there weren't a number of high-relative-velocity ejections of companion bodies (and maybe, afterwards, an Oumuamua-like swing round another system), and some of those will emerge galactically-retrograde to the system at leaves, perhaps even at system-relative speeds that are also retrograde in galaxy-retrograde terms. Properly projecting the path both forwards and back is the key; given the inward travel, and likely age of body, it would more probably be a slow back-escape from an outer system than having started off initially as a fast back-escape from an inner one (over half an orbit ago). Although, given the densities of bodies near the centre, there would be potentially more interactions that might last (to remain not further disturbed, and detectable) for at least a significant part of one orbit.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: August 24, 2024, 06:57:52 pm »

Goddamn space DRM locking astronauts out of their return ships.

Whatever the problem was again (square filter in a round hole, like Apollo 13?) it's just been confirmed (properly) that the September launch of Dragon will go up with two less than planned, so that it can return in February with the Starliner pair.

Not good for Boeing's rep, of course, on top of their plane-type incidents.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: August 27, 2024, 02:45:59 am »

Seems like Boeing is fucking up constantly these days.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: September 01, 2024, 05:24:54 pm »

Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: September 01, 2024, 06:35:54 pm »

Sadly the Starliner doesn't look nearly as cool as the Event Horizon.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: September 03, 2024, 09:59:32 am »

nasa employee: oh hey u guys are back early
astronaut: starliner's haunted
nasa employee: what?
astronaut: *loading a pistol and getting back on the rocket-ship* starliner's haunted
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233]