Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289954 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2820 on: October 12, 2018, 10:15:46 pm »

Here's the problem with generating an universe exactly like ours, but without the little parts: the little parts are required in the early stages.
Hand-wave it away by programming in a fast early expansion, maybe, under the cover of universal opacity? Sure, it might leave a few data artefacts from the small seed structure that translates across the entire later universe, but who within your simlated universe is going to notice all those anomalies, literally across the entire sky?

(Also, you can probably poke into the data stack and housekeep away almost half of the matter produced from the original energy, so that it doesn't just all annihilate back into energy again. Fascinating to watch, but really slows the FPS down and then you miss out on all the more interesting stuff in your UniverseGen.)
However, due to the uncertainty principle, our universe already does not have the little parts. We still cannot simulate it, due to the ridiculous amount of memory and processing power required. It will not be doable, ever, due to the simple fact that a system cannot simulate an identical system without it taking up 100% of the system.

We could simulate a simpler universe, though, and we can assume that whoever is simulating ours is in a much more complex 'verse.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:25:29 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: October 12, 2018, 10:24:52 pm »

Your brain straight up ignores all sorts of different motion.

Locate the sun, turn and face south and point at the sun with your left hand, then point your right hand straight out from your shoulder sideways. You're hauling ass that way at around 100,000 kph while the whole solar system plows through the galaxy tipped up so we're kinda heading towards Vega last I checked at something like 720,000 kph and then we can go into our motion through the Laniakea Supercluster or relative to the microwave background.

You aren't aware of any of your motion within those different frames of reference, are you?

Only because all of those things are so vast and so far away that we can't tell the difference on our short tiny timescales.

In fact, it would take 10s or 100s of thousands of years before the current constellations become no longer recognizeable due to the movement of stars relative to each other (and the chance of maybe one going nova/supernova) and from our perspective. The constellations are certainly slightly different from where they were 2,000 or 3,000 years ago, but they'd still be recognizeable to an ancient Greek.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:30:31 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: October 12, 2018, 11:12:48 pm »

There's also this thing called frame-dragging, and the whole situation with special relativity that enables it.

while the solar system is whipping around Sagitarius A at some absurd velocity, and the earth is itself whipping around the sun at some other velocity, and then on top of it all, is spinning around its axis AND precessing, we don't really experience all those changes in effective velocity (for instance, as we go retrograde to galactic rotation during part of the year relative to the sun) because of those things.  We only experience these relative to the earth's frame.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: October 12, 2018, 11:15:20 pm »

You go around the Sun every year and I left out that you're doing up to a grand kph east as the planet spins, none of these motions stand out because your brain developed in a situation where zeroing them out is useful. Being able to counter for the local drop of a thrown spear due to gravity is useful, being able to identify any of the tiny influences it may feel from the Pisces Complex on our Supercluster is not.

Frame dragging is applicable when you're actually rotating with a body, we're not rotating with Sag A* like that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: October 12, 2018, 11:18:31 pm »

You'd need a hell of a sensitive biological instrument in order to sense those tiny influences in the first place (to the point where you'd have to engineer it, it would never evolve on it's own). You can't zero something out that you aren't sensing in the first place.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: October 12, 2018, 11:33:13 pm »

You go around the Sun every year and I left out that you're doing up to a grand kph east as the planet spins, none of these motions stand out because your brain developed in a situation where zeroing them out is useful. Being able to counter for the local drop of a thrown spear due to gravity is useful, being able to identify any of the tiny influences it may feel from the Pisces Complex on our Supercluster is not.

Frame dragging is applicable when you're actually rotating with a body, we're not rotating with Sag A* like that.

I should clarify--- Our effective sense of velocity change is tied strongly to our interaction with the earth, and its rotating reference frame.  We dont and likely would not experience a significant difference in perception if the solar system sped up or slowed down on its multi-millions of years long orbit around galactic center. (Again, relative to the sun as a reference velocity, we speed up and slow down that way every year-- Likewise, we do not notice any changes in G-force as the earth gets closer to the sun (ever so slightly) every year either.)

We dont even appreciably notice the change in effective G force from the moon orbiting over-head, except that it causes tides, either-- so a fair amount of biological damping on sensory perception is quite evident as well.

I was just pointing out that at least some of the high velocity changes our planet undergoes are imperceptible to us, because of our being part of earth's reference frame.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: October 13, 2018, 03:35:46 am »

Your brain straight up ignores all sorts of different motion.

Locate the sun, turn and face south and point at the sun with your left hand, then point your right hand straight out from your shoulder sideways.
...now spin counterclockwiseWheeeeeee!

(AAAAAAA!!)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: October 21, 2018, 02:52:18 pm »

Oh, I thought it was a copypasta, it flew all over the place. Can't find it anywhere tough.
Yeah, there's not much difficulty in achieving lightspeed travel (except for maybe some optics computing problems, but I think it can be adjusted for.) It just takes a good amount of time to accelerate to a good fraction of light speed.
If it wasnt copypasta, it should be. Repost it elsewhere!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: November 02, 2018, 11:26:05 am »

The NASAsphere of probes and scopes is dwindling.

Just in the last week, NASA has confirmed that Kepler is dead, Dawn is dead, and Opportunity may be buried:'(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2829 on: November 02, 2018, 11:47:45 am »

The NASAsphere of probes and scopes is dwindling.

Just in the last week, NASA has confirmed that Kepler is dead, Dawn is dead, and Opportunity may be buried:'(
F

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: November 02, 2018, 04:59:21 pm »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: November 20, 2018, 09:50:38 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibByF9XPAPg
Hello. This is Humanity, speaking to ourselves, or whoever else may be listening...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2832 on: November 21, 2018, 08:37:03 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibByF9XPAPg
Hello. This is Humanity, speaking to ourselves, or whoever else may be listening...
Thanks for sharing that. I felt a rare moment of pride for our species: This was us, in this moment of time.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: November 21, 2018, 09:21:23 am »

Hello everyone, I'm intrigued about how haven't I found this post before! I've always loved this space stuff and everything ot the point that I want to take it as my career. But here in Brazil it is quite difficult, not only by the lack of colleges that teach aerospace engineering, but also because the way we get into college (to understand that, check the spoiler below)

Right now I'm waiting for the results, so... Wish me luck everyone!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2834 on: November 21, 2018, 09:35:04 am »

STRIKE THE EARTH GPETER
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 232