Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289931 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2220 on: February 25, 2017, 02:21:45 pm »

Also, a tidally locked planet wouldn't necessarily have its atmosphere snow out. Venus experiences days longer than its years, yet its atmosphere essentially rotates approximately every 4 Earth days. Thermodynamics drives global winds from the warmer day side across the cooler night side and back.

A planet experiencing such constant, strong global winds presents challenges of its own to life, but not insurmountable I think.

Life always finds a way. The permanently dark side would also pose it's own challenges to life and the winds coming from the day side would make some of it warm enough for life to survive there.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: February 25, 2017, 06:41:49 pm »

Hell, this system is so young and in such a dense neighborhood that it's hard to know how things like bombardment cycles will work out, was there a wisp of cometary material that already got stolen/kicked inwards, is there stuff out there which is falling inwards as we speak, are there moons and asteroids getting chucked across the system, at this age the Earth still had issues with fucking magma raining out of the sky from the big cloud that the moon was coalescing from as I recall, who knows what interesting shit is happening over on TRAPPIST-1 right now?
Also, a tidally locked planet wouldn't necessarily have its atmosphere snow out. Venus experiences days longer than its years, yet its atmosphere essentially rotates approximately every 4 Earth days. Thermodynamics drives global winds from the warmer day side across the cooler night side and back.

A planet experiencing such constant, strong global winds presents challenges of its own to life, but not insurmountable I think.
The surface pressure and sheer mass of the atmosphere itself means there isn't going to be much variation due to the small amount of sunlight making it through the cloud decks, unless you let the atmosphere relax and collapse down onto the surface it's going to fuckhot down there.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: February 26, 2017, 04:38:24 am »

Semi-random question:

Since the planetary orbits are only meta-stable due to resonances, (implying that there is not a precise period of orbit around the star-- it speeds up and slows down due to said resonances) that should prevent tidal locking with the star, no? There is no reason for the rotational period of the planetary axis to stay perfectly synchronized with the solar orbital period, given the resonances in effect, right? The rotation might be very very slow, but not zero, i should expect.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: February 26, 2017, 04:56:26 am »

Best chance is for one of the planets to have evolved supermassive hamsters, who keep the rotation going by using the planet as a giant treadmill.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: February 26, 2017, 12:43:44 pm »

What you describe at the end there is going to be a moon at L1 or L2 along a line with the planet and star, and the whole system has the moon/planet keeping the same face to each other and accordingly the star, unless it's a young doomed moon during inspiral, or perhaps a spin-orbit resonance besides 1:1 during the brief early era before it winds up getting locked into a 1:1 state.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: February 26, 2017, 02:31:51 pm »

Hell, this system is so young and in such a dense neighborhood that it's hard to know how things like bombardment cycles will work out, was there a wisp of cometary material that already got stolen/kicked inwards, is there stuff out there which is falling inwards as we speak, are there moons and asteroids getting chucked across the system, at this age the Earth still had issues with fucking magma raining out of the sky from the big cloud that the moon was coalescing from as I recall, who knows what interesting shit is happening over on TRAPPIST-1 right now?

The surface pressure and sheer mass of the atmosphere itself means there isn't going to be much variation due to the small amount of sunlight making it through the cloud decks, unless you let the atmosphere relax and collapse down onto the surface it's going to fuckhot down there.

Just because the atmosphere might rotate like Venus' due to thermodynamics, doesn't mean it will be as thick
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: February 26, 2017, 03:35:15 pm »

I figured you were talking about Venus, though I missed that it's only the upper atmosphere which rotates quickly, the lower atmosphere doesn't move anywhere nearly as much.

With a lighter atmosphere you would need much higher surface velocities and it's going to lose energy faster I'd expect.
But that doesn't answer my question. People are saying a tidally locked moon is impossible without L points, but a moon that's only tidally locked to the tidally locked planet, then it's able to orbit at any speed and distance (within reason, OFC), so long as its rotation matches up with its orbital period.
It'll need to be very close, the Hill Spheres (where the planet gravity dominates) of such a densely packed system aren't going to be very big, outside of those orbits the moon will be orbiting the star, to have it approach stability then you'd need to plunk it on the L1 or L2, but the rest of the system doesn't help this idea since it's got so many bodies in such a narrowly constrained system of orbits in the first place.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: February 27, 2017, 05:49:51 pm »

So... SpaceX just announced they're gonna send two private citizens on a trip around the moon... Next year.

Hours beforehand, NASA announced they're considering putting people on their currently planned as unmanned capsule test around the moon... Next year.

Next year could be great.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: February 27, 2017, 08:20:06 pm »

Hey look, the moon exists! We should do stuff with it!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: February 27, 2017, 08:37:34 pm »

Hey look, the moon exists! We should do stuff with it!

For now, just look at it... from a distance.... a much shorter distance, but still a distance... but exciting nonetheless.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: February 27, 2017, 09:45:47 pm »

...and then: RKKV the fuck out of it, to show everyone who's boss!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: February 28, 2017, 02:53:34 am »

Hours beforehand, NASA announced they're considering putting people on their currently planned as unmanned capsule test around the moon... Next year.

Next year could be great.

That's amazingly fast by NASA standards. I wonder if Trump strong armed them to produce Great Stuff (tm)?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: February 28, 2017, 04:46:15 am »

That's crazy fast to how NASA usually rolls , considering that astronauts begin their mission brief, work through, training and practice months to a year in advance.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: February 28, 2017, 05:28:36 am »

Well.. perhaps it's the right time for mankind to start being more bold, take more chances and Jumpstart a space economy somehow.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: February 28, 2017, 05:34:22 am »

In truth, a lunar orbit isn't all that much of a risk and is a known kind of mission, so it's not surprising they would just suddenly decide to do it. It's a decent test for the Orion capsule as well.

I mean, Apollo 13 had damn near everything go wrong when it was still a semi-fresh practice, and they made it back.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 232