Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289950 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1950 on: September 29, 2016, 09:48:37 am »

If I were a chemist working with dangerous chemicals, would you like to live right next to me or a few blocks away?

If a chemist were working with dangerous chemicals in Canada would you rather live in California or India?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: September 29, 2016, 09:50:40 am »

If I were a chemist working with dangerous chemicals, would you like to live right next to me or a few blocks away?

If a chemist were working with dangerous chemicals in Canada would you rather live in California or India?
Obviously it was an hyperbole and not correctly scaled.  ::)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: September 29, 2016, 10:21:24 am »

Also, again, mars might potentially be terraformable, while the moon is not, at least for the foreseeable future.
Wouldn't solar wind just blow away any atmosphere faster than you can create it? You kinda need a planetary magnetic field for proper terraforming AFAIK. Sure, the process of losing atmosphere is fairly slow, but how quickly can you replenish it? Does Mars even have enough reasonably accessible atmospheric elements, or would you need to bring in ice asteroids? If you need those, where do you get them, Kuiper belt? How much would that cost?

Also, I think it's rather silly of Space X to work on passenger ships first instead of cargo ships. You'll need to deliver a LOT of cargo to Mars before you can expect people to survive there for the ~26 months between resupplies.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:36:25 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: September 29, 2016, 10:36:55 am »

If you can make passenger ships, you can make cargo ships.

And I believe there were comments last page regarding the solar wind.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: September 29, 2016, 10:38:17 am »

If you can create a planetary atmosphere in a reasonable quantity of time, lack of magnetic field should not be an huge concern, im terms of atmospheric stripping. those are things that happen on larger time scales, not centuries. As far as I know.

And SpaceX is planning more than one version of the spaceship. Tanker and passenger, so I can see them building a dedicated cargo ship as well. It is not like it requires any particular designing. Just skip the life support and extend the cargo bay all the way to the tip.

But even without a separate design, the passenger ship can transport a lot of weight and if you are willing to use passenger space ( for the first few missions, for example) it can carry even more.

Basically, they don't need to build a brand new vehicle if they want cargo: what they plan already fits the role well.

edit:
If you can make passenger ships, you can make cargo ships.

yes, passenger ships are cargo ships with tons of complex machines and supplies inside. if you can make those, cargo is just a matter of removing.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: September 29, 2016, 10:44:27 am »

If you can create a planetary atmosphere in a reasonable quantity of time, lack of magnetic field should not be an huge concern, im terms of atmospheric stripping.
That's a big if. An atmosphere would take a LOT of gas to make, how much infrastructure would you need to get that gas in a reasonable timeframe and how much would this cost?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: September 29, 2016, 10:46:01 am »

Also, again, mars might potentially be terraformable, while the moon is not, at least for the foreseeable future.
Wouldn't solar wind just blow away any atmosphere faster than you can create it?
I think the estimates range around a few ten thousand up to some million years of solar wind erosion to strip away the atmosphere.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: September 29, 2016, 10:59:09 am »

If you can create a planetary atmosphere in a reasonable quantity of time, lack of magnetic field should not be an huge concern, im terms of atmospheric stripping.
That's a big if. An atmosphere would take a LOT of gas to make, how much infrastructure would you need to get that gas in a reasonable timeframe and how much would this cost?
Indeed, terraforming is a tremendous effort which requires moving incredible quantities of mass.
What I was trying to say is that lack of magnetic field does not impact much terraforming plans, because if you can feasibly terraform a planet, you are greatly outpacing loss of atmosphere by solar wind anyway.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: September 29, 2016, 11:04:11 am »

What is feasible terraforming, though? I sort of remember some estimates that it would take tens of thousands of years to gather all that mass, and at that rate solar wind losses can significantly increase the time it takes to make the atmosphere. IIRC the main issue was that there's simply not enough mass in all the Martian ice combined so much of the atmosphere would have to be imported. Or is there something in the martian rocks that can be turned into an acceptable gas for the bulk of the atmosphere?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 11:06:11 am by DJ »

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1959 on: September 29, 2016, 11:42:05 am »

Solar wind losses are a geological-scale issue. We can start with manufacturing an atmosphere now and worry about topping it off every 20,000 years or so later.

As for actually getting the atmosphere there, options exist. I personally favor polar asteroid bombardment, although asteroid winters are a bit of a problem.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: September 29, 2016, 12:03:47 pm »

Solar wind losses are a geological-scale issue. We can start with manufacturing an atmosphere now and worry about topping it off every 20,000 years or so later.

As for actually getting the atmosphere there, options exist. I personally favor polar asteroid bombardment, although asteroid winters are a bit of a problem.
well I would like the idea as well but only if there are failsafe planetside to deal with such effects

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: September 29, 2016, 12:09:39 pm »

What on mars would such a failsafe even be?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: September 29, 2016, 12:13:55 pm »

I recall something about releasing gases from martian soil but can't really remember it.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: September 29, 2016, 12:27:46 pm »

What on mars would such a failsafe even be?
I'm not sure, but I can postulate.

If say you are bombarding it from the poles, then you need certain stations along the equator, possibly branching towards the poles. These series of pipelines and stations could be controlled from orbit along longitudes and latitudes. Then, before bombarding it, fill these stations with gas mixtures and coordinate the variables (meaning the geographical spots on Mars where the stations are placed, in real time.) And properly release them if and or when the asteroid winter(s) happen, there is equilibrium

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: September 29, 2016, 01:50:06 pm »

I think the rate at which mars loses atmosphere is about 3100 tonnes per year.

This sounds catastrophic and scary, but remember that industry puts out something like 7-20 gigatonnes of CO2 per year on earth, and we aren't trying to terraform the planet.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 232