Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 233

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 346383 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1905 on: September 21, 2016, 04:19:12 pm »

"Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen!  The Pacific is odds on favorite, but we have very generous prices for Australia... again... The continental US has seen some heavy spread betting, mainly concentrating on Los Angeles area and the Hollywood sign, Mount Rushmore (damaging just one specific quarter), the Whitehouse (and/or Capital building) and impaling itself directly upon the Empire State Building spire.  There are some pundits going for Big Ben (sic), the Eiffel Tower, the Pyramids, the Taj Mahal and Christ The Redeemer, whilst quite a large number of small bets in roubles and bitcoin have gone towards it landing directly upon a Syrian aid convoy.  Apart from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, we aren't taking bets on the People's Republic of China or its extensive maritime claims at all for...  reasons, but the Republic Of China is still an option... "

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: September 21, 2016, 04:25:13 pm »

Couldn't they send out a special mission with a rocket to lock into the main station port and prop it up enough for it to regain stable orbit? I mean, I'm not sure if that would be cost effective, but I'd guess it probably is, considering that its an entire space station being lost :U
It's also retired.  It's been inactive since 2013 and already intended for reentry between 2016-2017, which means it's unlikely that they would have changed their plans in the interim.  They wouldn't be salvaging a working station; they'd sending it up to tweak the reentry course at most, which isn't nearly as cost-effective. 

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: September 21, 2016, 04:55:12 pm »

whilst quite a large number of small bets in roubles and bitcoin have gone towards it landing directly upon a Syrian aid convoy

Figures.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: September 27, 2016, 09:37:21 am »

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

Elon musk talking about his mars plans in 3 hours, 50 minutes.
A bit surprising the talk wasn't delayed due to the falcon 9 explosion, but half of his fan base would have died of hype ( or hype withdrawal?) had he delayed more.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: September 27, 2016, 10:03:12 am »

Also, apparently china recently activated it FUCKHUEG new radio telescope to search for pulsars and aliums.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: September 27, 2016, 01:28:27 pm »

Far Universe Check for Kinda Huge Unambiguous Evidence of Greenmen

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: September 27, 2016, 01:33:44 pm »

before the conference starts, spacex posted a promotional video of how they envision mars colonization.

That huuuu(uuuuuuu)ge thing that goes up seems to be their planned rocket.

video

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: September 27, 2016, 03:14:02 pm »

Watching right now, I missed most of it but Elon is not a great speaker in the q&a, he's got a real bad stutter.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: September 27, 2016, 03:19:44 pm »

he had that bad stutter for the whole speech. My poor untrained ear is struggling to listen to him.

But, hey, he got me some great pictures of rocket stuff, so I'll forgive him for not being a good speaker :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: September 27, 2016, 03:22:06 pm »

Ugh, fucking Funny or Die's idiot reporter trying to ask a "question" that's just a joke. A joke that wasn't funny.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: September 27, 2016, 04:13:20 pm »

Ugh, fucking Funny or Die's idiot reporter trying to ask a "question" that's just a joke. A joke that wasn't funny.
Yeah, they clearly didn't do any screening of the questions beforehand.

he had that bad stutter for the whole speech. My poor untrained ear is struggling to listen to him.

But, hey, he got me some great pictures of rocket stuff, so I'll forgive him for not being a good speaker :P

It was an interesting presentation, though he indeed isn't the most natural speaker, that's true.

Link to the video to those who missed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1YxNYiyALg

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: September 27, 2016, 04:39:32 pm »

I waited for it and missed because had to driva back home.
There's any brief on the presentation I can read?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 04:47:15 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: September 27, 2016, 04:51:26 pm »

Huh, didn't know he had a stutter, sounds like more of a pain in the ass than mine, I don't double as much as I get stuck on the start of words with certain sounds. Trying to start a sentence with a soft vowel is a nightmare sometimes.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: September 27, 2016, 04:52:36 pm »

I waited for it and missed because had to driva back home.
There's any brief on the presentation I can read?

Here's something: http://futurism.com/elon-musk-mars-colony-all-his-key-points-from-todays-announcement/

Better summaries will probably become available later, as people have more time to make 'em, but it's something.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: September 28, 2016, 01:32:28 pm »

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 233