Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 233

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 346374 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1725 on: August 19, 2016, 06:30:03 am »

Huge satellites before colony ships most likely.  Also Mars is crap for farming but due to low gravity and materials it could export food to space. Or just export raw materials for farming like algae compost grown in vats.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:34:27 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: August 19, 2016, 07:16:19 am »

Yeah, unless for some insane reason you're imagining a Mars settlement as unpressurized and unshielded Mars will obviously seem worse than Venus, but pressurization and shielding are far easier than dealing with making a buoyant living space in sulfuric acid clouds, as can be seen by every mission to space ever.
Make a battery, turn it inside out, fill it with 20% oxygen.

There ya go, you've got a basic aerostat for Venus.

Having ANY sort of additional lifting gas besides O2 just provides comfort room.

Dealing with acid is something we're good at. Dealing with pressure isn't necessary on Venus, you actually specifically want your habitat to be the same pressure as the exterior, if you get a leak you can rely on one of the most advanced chemical identification suites we can carry there to detect it: your nose, and then you can go patch it since it's just going to be mixing, not violent outgassing and death.

You can make polyethylene containers, here, I'll go show you a basic prototype of a Venus habitat right now: http://www.plastic-mart.com/sulfuric_acid_tanks_containers.aspx

Yeah, it's literally that simple. If it will contain it in our atmosphere, it can be made to keep our atmosphere from mixing with the outside gases.

Go price a Mars habitat, don't forget to include the costs for support crew, training, replacement, emergency survival areas, etc, etc, etc.

Mars you need a spacesuit, Venus you need little more than a gas mask and an outer layer, biiiig difference there.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: August 19, 2016, 07:16:39 am »

Huge satellites before colony ships most likely.  Also Mars is crap for farming but due to low gravity and materials it could export food to space. Or just export raw materials for farming like algae compost grown in vats.
Sounds wasteful. Why are we growing algae on Mars and not in space, again?

(And going to space (off-earthl) for space (liebensraum) isn't very logical, compared with just normal population controls of various kinds, until we have some sort of space-elevator/star-gate/whatever to get (willing/unwilling) emmigrants off-planet efficiently. It must be the "getting eggs into other baskets" elementthat is the driver to off-world colonisation, in the shorter term.  But starting with pioneers and adventurers before even that.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: August 19, 2016, 07:26:41 am »

We don't have the money to lift a critical number of people and habitats out to Mars, but we'll be a lot closer to doing so for Venus than we will for Mars, so to answer the earlier question: would I prefer to go to Venus or Mars to live in a hab? I assume the first crew on Mars will die, or be rescued at tremendous expense, no fucking way would I be part of that, get back to me in a hundred years and we'll see if we have regular habitation and transport there down to a regularly thing yet. We could start launching habs down to float in Venus and make sure the maintenance systems work before people even arrive, which is a lot more comforting.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: August 19, 2016, 07:49:22 am »

We don't have the money to lift a critical number of people and habitats out to Mars, but we'll be a lot closer to doing so for Venus than we will for Mars, so to answer the earlier question: would I prefer to go to Venus or Mars to live in a hab? I assume the first crew on Mars will die, or be rescued at tremendous expense, no fucking way would I be part of that, get back to me in a hundred years and we'll see if we have regular habitation and transport there down to a regularly thing yet. We could start launching habs down to float in Venus and make sure the maintenance systems work before people even arrive, which is a lot more comforting.
Sure we don't have the money to lift all that to Venus neither, no matter how much less expensive it turns out. On the other hand which could be the long term plans for floating habitats on Venus? How much larger can they become? How much weight can they support per tonnage? Could it support industrial scale operations? How do you deal with the high winds blasting acid toward those tanks? Are they designed to withstand wind as fast as 360 km per hour? How are you going to lift those thanks there? How are you going to manage them to stay in a single place? This last point is critical. How are you going to simply dump those habitats in Venus and then expect to get to them without an anchor. And a ~60K anchor that can withstand acid and +400C° temperatures sure seems like a huge weight to carry there.

I do get the perks of the upper atmosphere of Venus, but they do not outweigh the troubles just yet. Sorry but I'm for one, not buying your hypothesis that it's actually easier making colonies on Venus, for a reason NASA has manned plans for going to Mars and not Venus.

In Mars inflatable (lighter) habitats partially sunken and covered in martian soil are a possibility, as it is using the landing module as an starting habitat. I once saw a plan that involved sending several unnamed ships beforehand to land in a place and then using the empty fuel tanks as an habitat, which is possible because you actually have a solid place to start.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: August 19, 2016, 08:56:09 am »

Mars you need a spacesuit, Venus you need little more than a gas mask and an outer layer, biiiig difference there.
How do you think you're going to deal with 75 degrees Celsius atmosphere, still denser than on Earth = better heat transfer, trying to cook you alive, night or day? You won't be leaving your habitat without a spacesuit either, bub.

for a reason NASA has manned plans for going to Mars and not Venus.

Nor really plans, but there is a proof-of concept study:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20160006329.pdf

I do agree with your general conclusion, though - a floating habitat is a cool idea, but if somebody tries to tell me that it's also cheaper and/or easier than plonking some prefabricates on Mars and constructing a colony out of them, then that person is to me full of hot air (somewhat fittingly).

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: August 19, 2016, 09:23:05 am »

That's what I meant.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: August 19, 2016, 09:58:58 am »

Sounds wasteful. Why are we growing algae on Mars and not in space, again?

(And going to space (off-earthl) for space (liebensraum) isn't very logical, compared with just normal population controls of various kinds, until we have some sort of space-elevator/star-gate/whatever to get (willing/unwilling) emmigrants off-planet efficiently. It must be the "getting eggs into other baskets" elementthat is the driver to off-world colonisation, in the shorter term.  But starting with pioneers and adventurers before even that.)

I was just speculating about the composition of the packaging with algae. The export is the material for farming.

And it's not about living space any more then an oil rig is about living space.
Nowhere's really good for farming other than earth. You can't even use Mars' 'soil' because it's full of perchlorates. If you don't know, they're basically super carcinogenic.

No one is saying farm in the raw soil...  Mars is just a place where materials are available outside a eartg sized gravity well. And I am just tossing it out there. Personally i think asteroids are more promising.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:02:43 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: August 19, 2016, 10:01:33 am »

super carcinogenic.
An early version of the song in Mary Poppins, rejected and rejigged.

(As "chim-chimeny chim-chimeny chim-chim-cheree...", obviously.)

On the other hand which could be the long term plans for floating habitats on Venus? How much larger can they become?
Being designed for neutral buoyancy (within a controllable degree) add as many other neutrally-buoyant units on as will physically attach.

How much weight can they support per tonnage?
One tonne per tonne, all-in. That's superstructure, envelope, inhabitants, machinary, etc.

Could it support industrial scale operations?
See above.

How do you deal with the high winds blasting acid toward those tanks?
See below

Are they designed to withstand wind as fast as 360 km per hour?
See below.

How are you going to lift those thanks there?
Drop them from orbit. Whether fabricated on Earth and lifted from there or constructed 'somewhere' in space from hoisted or harvested materials, that's to be seen.

How are you going to manage them to stay in a single place?
Why would you do that?

This last point is critical. How are you going to simply dump those habitats in Venus and then expect to get to them without an anchor. And a ~60K anchor that can withstand acid and +400C° temperatures sure seems like a huge weight to carry there.
No anchor. Free-floating. Travelling with the wind, far from (the idea is) turbulance, it'll be like at serene balloon ride, without the scary "so now where are we going to land this thing?" feeling as everyone looks out for a handy field with no powerlines, ahead. (Or, in our case, landing on a steep slope.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:14:21 am by Starver »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: August 19, 2016, 10:37:35 am »

If you are building complete habitats off Venus why not just leave them in lunar or earth orbit and save a lot of fuel?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: August 19, 2016, 10:44:29 am »

*Adopts Buddhist Mystic Pose*

To know that, child, first you must know your true purpose...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: August 19, 2016, 10:51:02 am »

Cause Venus habitats can be made from cheap plastic while orbital habitats need to be made from a few meters thick lead.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: August 19, 2016, 11:00:31 am »

One tonne per tonne, all-in. That's superstructure, envelope, inhabitants, machinary, etc.
Where do you get this? So, if I want a warehouse to store a 250000 tons, I need to bring 250000 tons of material to Venus? Don't seem much practical.

Drop them from orbit. Whether fabricated on Earth and lifted from there or constructed 'somewhere' in space from hoisted or harvested materials, that's to be seen.
And they get to orbit magically? That's what I meant. You still need to spend a great deal of effort bringing the material there. And according to you you need a ton of material in order to support a ton? How much mass you actually need to move? Can local materials be used like in the case of a solid planet colony? (In my head Venus would be like colonizing a gas giant), since the last question answer is a big fat no, then you need to bring everything.

How are you going to manage them to stay in a single place?
Why would you do that?
To find the darn thing? I know structurally talking it will be subjected to less stress as free floating but it doesn't seem very practical for things beyond simply exploration and scientific study. The fact of being free floating doesn't magically do away with the speed of the wind neither.

No anchor. Free-floating. Travelling with the wind, far from (the idea is) turbulance, it'll be like at serene balloon ride, without the scary "so now where are we going to land this thing?" feeling as everyone looks out for a handy field with no powerlines, ahead. (Or, in our case, landing on a steep slope.)
Right, as serene as a ballon flight can be with peaks of 360 km per hour...  ;) And in this scenario... once the planet if densely you'll have the occasional colonies crashing into each other. Nice.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:04:50 am by LordBaal »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: August 19, 2016, 11:38:57 am »

Cause Venus habitats can be made from cheap plastic while orbital habitats need to be made from a few meters thick lead.

No orbitals don't.

And there is a difference to lasting a little while and structural integrity. We could make ocean going ships and bridges out of plastic. We don't.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:43:58 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: August 19, 2016, 11:43:07 am »

Regarding building stuff and shipping it out there, I think there is a reason "Venusian Gardens" are a sci fi trope. Get plants to grow in nearly pure CO2, get them to grow acid-resistant materials, these are doable long-term goals, and then we skyelves now?

Lots of things are more worthwhile energy wise in orbit, up in the clouds of Venus you get more sunlight than we do here in orbit, take something which WOULD be too expensive and draw a line under it, with an arrow pointing to the insolation at Venus cloud tops.

You have the opposite problem at Mars, btw, though as a quirk of planetary physics, both atmospheres are ~95% CO2!

Re: meters thick lead, well no, a meter or so of water will generally suffice, but that is in contrast to plastic balloons still, a lot less mass to deal with.
Sure we don't have the money to lift all that to Venus neither, no matter how much less expensive it turns out. On the other hand which could be the long term plans for floating habitats on Venus? How much larger can they become? How much weight can they support per tonnage? Could it support industrial scale operations? How do you deal with the high winds blasting acid toward those tanks? Are they designed to withstand wind as fast as 360 km per hour? How are you going to lift those thanks there? How are you going to manage them to stay in a single place? This last point is critical. How are you going to simply dump those habitats in Venus and then expect to get to them without an anchor. And a ~60K anchor that can withstand acid and +400C° temperatures sure seems like a huge weight to carry there.
Oxygen is a lifting gas in a CO2 atmosphere, designing things to deal with acid is a well developed technology, and you have something like 2k W/m^2 that close to the sun and that high up, I'm sure you could find something for station keeping or broadcasting location, and that's before getting into things like the electric potentials you can develop from hanging a tether down into the hotter atmosphere.

Long term plans: do science, build more habs, establish another population of humans off-planet which can begin growing, mine the sky for carbon

I do get the perks of the upper atmosphere of Venus, but they do not outweigh the troubles just yet. Sorry but I'm for one, not buying your hypothesis that it's actually easier making colonies on Venus, for a reason NASA has manned plans for going to Mars and not Venus.

In Mars inflatable (lighter) habitats partially sunken and covered in martian soil are a possibility, as it is using the landing module as an starting habitat. I once saw a plan that involved sending several unnamed ships beforehand to land in a place and then using the empty fuel tanks as an habitat, which is possible because you actually have a solid place to start.
You don't have a solid place to start building in space either, but we're going to have to get better at that at some point, we already know how to build floating structures in the ocean, these are not super difficult problems, it's just a matter of engineering out the known and existing technologies to solve the problems at hand.

Solving the problem where outside your environment is thinner than the air 100km above the surface here is also something we know how to do, but space stations are leaky and only survive through regular boosts and resupply missions. I don't expect a colony on Mars to survive without regular resupply missions, on Venus we could get by with a lot less shipped in.

How do you think you're going to deal with 75 degrees Celsius atmosphere, still denser than on Earth = better heat transfer, trying to cook you alive, night or day? You won't be leaving your habitat without a spacesuit either, bub.
There is a range of altitudes where you only need an air supply and protection from acid, I don't think there is a reason to prefer one over another besides whatever works best at the time, and indeed making it so habs could be floated in a range of them, and even change altitudes seems smart, and doable.

I do agree with your general conclusion, though - a floating habitat is a cool idea, but if somebody tries to tell me that it's also cheaper and/or easier than plonking some prefabricates on Mars and constructing a colony out of them, then that person is to me full of hot air (somewhat fittingly).
Dropping them on Venus is going to be at worst the same cost energy wise.

http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/Venus.html

More interesting, and which I should not have assumed was commonly known: windows to Venus occur 8/5 years, windows to Mars are 14/7 years, it takes about 5 months to do a Hohmann transfer to Venus, vs 7 months for Mars, and the only times Venus really loses on delta-V are when you want to go surface > orbit, which we wouldn't be doing here. Upper atmosphere > orbit is a different issue entirely.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 233