Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289936 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1695 on: August 18, 2016, 10:33:08 am »

On phone so Zeppelin's

Blimps and Zeppelin's always return to earth in a storm. That isn't an option for Venus city. For decades we have had space craft that have operated in orbit just like an orbital city would.  Just do more of the same. Higher orbit and bigger station. Then you can start using off world resources to grow.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:36:03 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: August 18, 2016, 11:04:27 am »

On phone so Zeppelin's
On tablet, but not at all forced to use an apostrophe (although the keyboard uses up half the height of the display, which is awkward) and really a spill-chucker/bord-wodger forces possessive but not plural of a semi-obscure word..? Meh. It was an aside. Never mind.

Blimps and Zeppelin's always return to earth in a storm. That isn't an option for Venus city. For decades we have had space craft that have operated in orbit just like an orbital city would.  Just do more of the same. Higher orbit and bigger station. Then you can start using off world resources to grow.
They do because it is easy.  A leaking venusblimp would be easiest to fix in flight. Easiest to resupply in flight. Easiest to reach from orbit to assist or escape to orbit upon evacuation.  "We do this thing, and the other things, not because they are easy but we also do not make them harder than they need to be." To paraphrase.

A leaking orbital station would lose air quicker. It may be proof against storms (which we currently do not have enough data over, but 50km is likely to be less turbulent, and well above surface features) but it is more susceptible to random space-debris and a puncture of whatever kind can immediately escalate to a disaster, not merely a lingering problem.  Especially if in  a section stressed by centripetal/centrifugal forces as part of the necessary habitability of the station.

But design elements could be swayed by future information.  Right now, the balance of probability is very much hypotjetical.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: August 18, 2016, 12:53:38 pm »

The ISS has managed, what, 20 years without any serious impact, and Venusian space is much emptier than LEO.

OTOH a station would have no reason to be made other than 'because', and the same with a blimp-city. (The logistics of creating and maintaining which are mindfucking)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: August 18, 2016, 01:20:13 pm »

It is the same reason as an oil rig. To access resources. Space has much more solar energy then earth. Metals and volatiles outside a gravity well are valuable. Like bring about post scarcity valuable.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: August 18, 2016, 01:28:20 pm »

The ISS has managed, what, 20 years without any serious impact, and Venusian space is much emptier than LEO.
It's had its moments,.  As has a predecessor, hence a lot of the caution with docking, these days, unless you want to skip resupply operations and just concentrate on the natural dangers entirely.

And (as well as why we're sending men(/women) to venus) that's the bit we need more information on. But by the time someone is seriously thinking of it, we'll have better ideas about all of that. Right now, we know we could orbit Venus (to observe? Like an unmanned probe?) or float in its atmosphere (like an unmanned probe, again) and once we know why we want actual people there (long-term hands-on analysis of the atmosphere?), that'll be part of the mission-spec.

Personally, I think people orbiting Venus is probably the bigger waste of time. Assuming you need people at Venus for more than a fly-by'n'slingshot on the way to somewhere else that they will land on...

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: August 18, 2016, 01:51:16 pm »

venus takes the least delta-v to get to, so it can be useful for slingshots.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: August 18, 2016, 01:56:02 pm »

venus takes the least delta-v to get to, so it can be useful for slingshots.
...for which you don't 'stop off'. You slingshot. Hence why I think the first manned visit to (the vicinity of) Venus will be a flying visit at best. No orbit, no upper atmosphere, no landing.

Until we have some other reason, like to battle with the Mekon!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: August 18, 2016, 02:40:15 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Venus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Venus
Interesting readings by all means. Both orbital and floating colonies are proposed. As well as terraforming, which in my opinion should be long term goal of ALL of our colonies whenever possible.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: August 18, 2016, 02:47:39 pm »

And (as well as why we're sending men(/women) to venus) that's the bit we need more information on. But by the time someone is seriously thinking of it, we'll have better ideas about all of that. Right now, we know we could orbit Venus (to observe? Like an unmanned probe?) or float in its atmosphere (like an unmanned probe, again) and once we know why we want actual people there (long-term hands-on analysis of the atmosphere?), that'll be part of the mission-spec.
Well, we could live on Venus, it holding a few advantages over hard vac.
Or, more technically, floating in the upper atmosphere. At 50km high, the conditions are remarkably earthlike - 1 atmo of pressure, with a temperature a mere 0-50 degrees. No risk of explosive decompression, the atmosphere provides radiation shielding equivalent to Earth's, and a nice 0.904gs stops your bones from turning to glass.

It's easier to reach than Mars, with more flight windows and shorter flights.

Breathable air is a lifting gas, meaning the floating colonies would be able to lift themselves. You'd be able to go outside without a pressure suit, though you'd still need protection from the heat, acidity, and a supply of...

Oh, I got ninjad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Venus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Venus
Interesting readings by all means. Both orbital and floating colonies are proposed. As well as terraforming, which in my opinion should be long term goal of ALL of our colonies whenever possible.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: August 18, 2016, 03:05:38 pm »

Nobody has ever tried building anything, yet alone a self-sufficient city in those conditions - i.e. gravity, and pressure differences, but no ground to stand on.
Which means that contrary to what some have said, we don't have the technology to do it. It would have to be developed from scratch, with limited capacity for testing.
This makes Mars a much move viable prospect, for pretty much the same gains.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: August 18, 2016, 03:14:24 pm »

Oh, I got ninjad.
Quite a lot. I'm already (on balance) on the side of the 30-mile-high club, and the arguments for it were given (by others) a page or two back...  ;)

(We have tech enough to prototype, IP, in a balloon-equipped atmospheric probe. Sending something that supports a habitat, never mind a city, is a leap but once we've investigated the conditions with such a probe, and expanded our tested capabilities in several other projects...)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: August 18, 2016, 03:57:20 pm »

You could test it five feet off the ground in a wind tunnel.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: August 18, 2016, 04:42:02 pm »

NASA just announced that any published science done with NASA funding will be made available to the public for free.

So that's pretty cool.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: August 18, 2016, 04:44:12 pm »

What page can I find lizardmen on?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: August 18, 2016, 04:55:13 pm »

NASA just announced that any published science done with NASA funding will be made available to the public for free.

So that's pretty cool.
this is really something that should be done for all scientific research. its idiotic that basically all new discovery's are locked behind a thousand paywalls.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 232