Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289928 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1665 on: August 17, 2016, 06:58:03 am »

At least with Mars you can build as heavy as you like, and have a static base to land on. The temperature is basically a non-issue compared to all the other issues with our other planets because managing gigantic temperature swings is something space agencies are very good at. The dust is more of a problem, but you can redirect dust-blast  away from sensitive areas and use windbreaks and such. When you're 50km up, there is no cover, no resources, and you can't go underground.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: August 17, 2016, 07:01:09 am »

Mmmm organic soup.. with fried garlic bread and thickened chive cream. Oh stop it
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: August 17, 2016, 07:16:14 am »

Mars is worse, you require radiation shielding due to the lack of magnetic protection, you need damn near spacesuits anywhere but the bottom of the Valles Marineris due to the functional lack of atmosphere, and the dust. Mars is a wasteland, and a waste of effort.

Making things withstand acid isn't hard, we don't do it as much because our atmosphere just burns a layer of oxidation onto everything, and acids are less common. If getting stuff to survive ph extremes were a problem, batteries wouldn't be a thing, I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable putting them on (or in!) my body at the rate we have and do.

Assuming you had a breathing filter and an umbrella you could stand on the porch of an aerostat floating in the soup we call Venusian air. We could use current technology and have habitats on Venus right now, tons of them, upper atmospheres are big places, especially when you have way too much atmosphere like Venus has.

We will never, in our lifetime, see a point where you could be anywhere near unprotected and survive on Mars, barring anti-aging, full conversion cyborgs, and the like. There are exactly three regions in the solar system with some combination of solid ground and 1 bar of pressure: Venus @49 km, Earth @0 km, and Titan @~0 km.

Titan is far too cold, but fascinating nonetheless, Venus has annoying rain and we don't breathe pure CO2, but oxygen is a lifting gas there, and we're in the last region as we speak. Living on Mars is BARELY easier than living on the Moon, except you have to descend much further into a gravity well, and travel much further, for no benefits beyond "we went there", which has value, but not much compared to "we are living on another world and can remain there indefinitely" like Venus air-colonies would offer.

Though, making humans out of all that carbon is silly, what you want to do is make diamond processors and upload into them.

Re: Dorsidwarf, You have the same amount of atmospheric protection 50km above Venus as you do here, how often do you go underground for solar storms? Never? Ok then. I will repeat my earlier point though: oxygen is a lifting gas on Venus, if you filled a balloon by exhaling into it and let it go outside your aerostat, it would float away.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: August 17, 2016, 07:23:38 am »

Some, not nearly as much, and it does have some magnetic shielding apparently. The ESO orbiter found that as I recall, which makes sense, having such a massive atmosphere persist with none is problematic.

http://sci.esa.int/venus-express/50246-a-magnetic-surprise-for-venus-express/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:26:40 am by Max™ »

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: August 17, 2016, 07:26:47 am »

Earth is perfect.
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: August 17, 2016, 07:29:11 am »

Except all the people, oxidation, and the annoying tendency to undergo glaciation events.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: August 17, 2016, 07:41:14 am »

Coruscant

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: August 17, 2016, 08:39:33 am »

Coruscant
How the fuck's that planet going to stay breathable? The oxygen'll get used up eventually!
*hand wave*You don't need to know how the air remains breathable...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: August 17, 2016, 09:50:48 am »

I think they import air/food and export waste/heat everyday by the thousands of tons or something.

I remember reading when I was a child about covering atmosphere Venus with bacteria/algae or something that would eat the dioxide and sulfur and crap oxygen. Sadly later I read it was not viable to do so.

Forget Mars and Venus. We need an outpost in the moon first. Then Mars. In Mars we could build an space elevator with current materials and engineering.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: August 17, 2016, 09:59:48 am »

Need radiation protection on Venus, too. Venus also lacks a magnetosphere, though the atmosphere would absorb SOME of the radiation at least.
Magnetospheres don't protect planets from radiation, they protect atmospheres from being ablated away. The atmosphere is what inhibits the radiation.

You can see this even with LEO operations, where you are still inside Earth's magnetosphere but will definitely die of radiation poisoning if you don't have protection, because you're outside the atmosphere.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: August 17, 2016, 10:02:00 am »

Magnetosphere does deflect (bend away) charged particles like those ejected during solar flares, but not radiation.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 17, 2016, 05:56:41 pm »

Living on Mars is BARELY easier than living on the Moon, except you have to descend much further into a gravity well, and travel much further, for no benefits beyond "we went there", which has value, but not much compared to "we are living on another world and can remain there indefinitely" like Venus air-colonies would offer.

Doesn't Mars have a hell of a lot of iron? Particularly a hell of a lot of small nodules of iron easily harvested on the surface and readily usable in a foundry?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: August 17, 2016, 06:15:15 pm »

I mean, it's red because of the iron. Not sure if that's usable or not, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: August 17, 2016, 06:17:06 pm »

Mars and the moon both have lots of iron. Not really worth the trouble of going there though.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 17, 2016, 06:24:32 pm »

That sulfuric acid might be a godsend actually. Sulfuric acid contains hydrogen (and oxygen), which is otherwise lacking in the atmosphere. And acids react with alkalines and make water + salts.

I'm still not seeing why you dont just send a ship to dip in, grab the hydrogen and then bugger back out into orbit where humans belong.  It's nice that you can freefloat in the atmosphere but you can float even freer outside the atmosphere.

Or just skip Venus entirely and snag an asteroid with a high water content and bring it to earth orbit.

Mars and the moon both have lots of iron. Not really worth the trouble of going there though.

The moon has iron in a low enough gravity well that you can launch from it without rockets.  That's more handy then iron at the bottom of a deeper gravity well.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 232