Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289959 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1515 on: January 25, 2016, 10:27:53 am »

and that planet will have significantly less mass afterwards.
vastly different from the one we have now
See, those are the kind of qualifying statements that require something more than just 'feelies' to support. Is it really significant? In what way? How do you know? Why should we believe you? Why not check it before saying something like that and risk sounding silly?

1) I already explained this, but clearly you need sources, because you can't be arsed to do it yourself, and instead want to appear morally superior, while not contributing any math yourself either.

So, here they are.

The percentage of the earth's mass that is constituted by liquid water is very small. ~.023%.
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1997-08/868365319.Es.r.html

Most people turn their brains off at this point. The issue, is not how much of the earth's mass is water, but how much of it is HYDRATED SILICATE MINERAL, and what geological processes are required for that silicate mineral to remain in the face of thermal decomposition from the planet's internal heating.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1997-08/868365319.Es.r.html

They say that at an upper bound, the mantle could contain the same quantity of water in the form of hydrate minerals as the oceans contain. That brings the percentage, occupied just by water, up to ~.046 percent.

Now that we have the mantle, and the oceans-- what about the crust and the atmosphere?

The atmosphere's mass is about  0.014% of earth's mass. (Bringing our potential amount of lost material up to .06%)
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1999-11/943288749.Es.r.html

The lithosphere (crust) accounts for approximately 2.7% of the earth's mass. So, what percentage of the crust would be impacted by the removal of the atmosphere?

Clay minerals account for about 5% of the crust,
http://www.sandatlas.org/composition-of-the-earths-crust/
with an average water content of clay mineral being hard to find. Clays are the end product of feldspars and other silicate minerals being weathered and hydrated by the presence of liquid water. A good breakdown of what percentage of clays are of what species is hard to pin down. (nobody really seems to care.) Since what we care about is the water content, the best I can find is this source:
http://ir.uiowa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1076&context=igsar
which on page 334, says this:

Clay, according to Blair, is a mixture of silica and the silicates of aluminum, calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium. The silicates are hydrated and as a result they may contain from 6 to 12 percent of water chemically combined.

So, a ballpark mid-range estimate of 8% of 5% of 2.6% of the earth's mass (at the crust) will be will be chemically bound water, in the form of clay. So, again, just by combining the removal of the atmosphere and oceans, with total crustal subduction, (or heavy bombardment with deep penetrating ionizing radiation) we get an approximate of .025%

This is hedging closer and closer to .1% of the earth's mass being impacted, just from the removal of water alone. This completely discounts the action of the liquid water on previously chemically bound mineral complexes containing transition metals, like iron, in creating free iron oxides. When those are subducted into the mantle, under anhydrous conditions, you get a release of free oxygen radicals, and oxygen accounts for some whopping 46% of the mass of the lithosphere.

By now, it shouldnt be too terribly hard to figure out how the early loss of the atmosphere of the earth would have radically altered its mineral composition, and thus its ultimate mass.

But of course, I was totally pulling this all out of my ass, and had no clue whatsoever about such things as geology or chemistry, which would have been magically approximated, somehow, by a naive mathematical model with "spherical cows.", leaving off with just the loss of the atmosphere itself. (which by now, I should have thoroughly shown to be inaccurate.)

2) how do you know it is significant?

Chemistry, do you speak it? The conditions depicted are not suitable for the formation of these mineral complexes, and the resulting crust will be significantly less oxygen rich! We know this from experiments exposing rocks to ionizing radiation.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/037567429290048D

3) How do you know?

Because I like to educate myself, that's why. While I am not motivated enough to dig out an analytical lab from my butthole, I am motivated enough to read the work of people who have.

4) Why should we believe you?

Because I am willing to point out the documents others have made, when asked-- which is more than you have been willing to do.

Myself, and it's fine if you don't care, I've lost all respect for your opinions - you've never shown any deeper understanding outside how to use google. Dodging relatively simple mathematical exercises like they're the equivalent of performing genesis doesn't help.

Anyhow, I'm outta here. Take what I said as you will - use it or lose it.

Yup. Just as I have lost respect for your rebuttals. Ciao.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:37:25 am by wierd »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: January 25, 2016, 10:41:22 am »

Let's get out of this pointless argument. The sun never was, and never will be a black hole. So let's drop it.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: January 25, 2016, 10:44:23 am »

Very good.  Done.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: January 25, 2016, 11:09:04 am »

Let's get out of this pointless argument. The sun never was, and never will be a black hole. So let's drop it.
That sounds like a quitter's attitude to me. Future Humanity will one day be able to pursue the noble goal of collapsing our homeworld's star into a singularity, no matter how much ignorant cynicism you peddle in the present. We need to work today to give them that chance, to believe in the black hole that believes in us, or at least in consuming all available matter and energy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: January 25, 2016, 11:15:12 am »

According to Wikipedia, a 1 solar mass black hole should be able to grow, and not shrink from hawking radiation.

If you can somehow increase the intensity of the gravitation inside the heart of the star to overcome fusion pressure, and subsequent neutron degeneracy pressure, and thus create a singularity-- such created singularity should be stable once you turn off your doomsday device.

Now, would a device that can do that win a Nobel prize, or an Ignobel prize?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: January 25, 2016, 11:21:16 am »

Considering all the possible applications, I'd consider any device that can manipulate gravity the most important discovery in...ever. Even if it only allowed increases and not decreases, and if it did we'd pretty much be immediately brought into "masters of the universe" tier.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: January 25, 2016, 11:24:34 am »

According to Wikipedia, a 1 solar mass black hole should be able to grow, and not shrink from hawking radiation.

If you can somehow increase the intensity of the gravitation inside the heart of the star to overcome fusion pressure, and subsequent neutron degeneracy pressure, and thus create a singularity-- such created singularity should be stable once you turn off your doomsday device.

Now, would a device that can do that win a Nobel prize, or an Ignobel prize?
It will only grow if it has matter to suck in. Just a sol-sized black hole would still shrink from hawking radiation.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: January 25, 2016, 11:28:26 am »

Per wikipedia:

A stellar black hole of 1 M☉ has a Hawking temperature of about 100 nanokelvins. This is far less than the 2.7 K temperature of the cosmic microwave background radiation. Stellar-mass or larger black holes receive more mass from the cosmic microwave background than they emit through Hawking radiation and thus will grow instead of shrink.[citation needed] To have a Hawking temperature larger than 2.7 K (and be able to evaporate), a black hole needs to have less mass than the Moon. Such a black hole would have a diameter of less than a tenth of a millimeter.[92]

Where citation 92 directs here:
http://www.einstein-online.info/elementary/quantum/evaporating_bh/?set_language=en

Basically, it would absorb more mass-energy from cosmic gas and energy in the local area than the hawking radiation could sink away, is my understanding.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: January 25, 2016, 11:37:11 am »

nanokelvins
You know you're going to have a bad day when someone uses this unit of measure.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: January 25, 2016, 12:38:28 pm »

If you can somehow increase the intensity of the gravitation inside the heart of the star to overcome fusion pressure, and subsequent neutron degeneracy pressure, [...]
I'd go for trying to reduce the fusion pressure, and possibly the other as well.  Some exotic 'poisoning' particle could sap the virility of the sun's reaction (I think they used the concept of a Q-Ball for the movie Sunshine).

But that's getting into beyond-theoretical physics territory.  Just less improbable, IMO, than a localised increase in the value of G.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: January 25, 2016, 02:10:40 pm »

nanokelvins
You know you're going to have a bad day when someone uses this unit of measure.
what was that other measurement from awhile ago? picohitler?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1526 on: January 25, 2016, 02:13:42 pm »

Femto.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: January 25, 2016, 09:59:23 pm »

FemtoStalins
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: January 25, 2016, 10:03:43 pm »

I prefer the smaller, and thus more accurate, femto-nepoleans myself.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: January 25, 2016, 10:04:56 pm »

FemtoStalins

Equal to killing 1 billionth of a person. In other words, removing about 1 cubic millimeter of person.

I prefer the smaller, and thus more accurate, femto-nepoleans myself.

It's all just unit conversion anyway. :P
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 232