Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289972 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #615 on: January 16, 2015, 02:13:32 pm »

How'd they find it?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 16, 2015, 02:22:10 pm »

BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30784886

High res MRO images spotted it and some of its landing mechanisms.
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 18, 2015, 03:44:11 pm »

That's really sad actually. Following the failure, the entire Beagle program was scrapped. Had they known that they were this close, there likely would have been a Beagle-3 and maybe further.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 18, 2015, 08:28:11 pm »

And it probably wasn't even a systematic error, just some random, unpredictable problem. Bah.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 18, 2015, 08:29:03 pm »

Terraforming Mars.
Who thinks it's a good idea?
Who thinks it's a bad idea?
Who's undecided?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 18, 2015, 08:39:49 pm »

Terraforming Mars.
Who's undecided?

Terraforming takes too long and costs too much to be something we can view as anything other than a potential future goal. I say we focus on learning how to create enclosed biomes (biodome, anyone?) that are self-sustaining, and then on creating enclosed human settlements on the Moon and Mars. It'd allow us to colonize other worlds in a more reasonable timeframe with a more reasonable cost, and it's a necessary step to get economic infastructure into space anyway if we want to end up terraforming.

On the other hand, we should practice our terraforming on Earth in the meantime. Not just because it's a step along the road to Terraforming actually becoming feasible, but because the climate needs it - we've already messed up the Earth to the point that climate change can't be stopped by just capping emissions. We need to learn to use large-scale geoengineering and bioengineering to control the climate, so we can reverse damage we've done and even optimize the Earth (we have a lot of deserts that could seriously use some greening - a huge portion of the Earth's surface isn't hospitable enough form permanent settlements and could be colonized before we colonize space).

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 18, 2015, 08:45:13 pm »

Ya but the terraforming on mars would be opposite. It needs an atmosphere so we could easily make CO2 on it then bring in plantlike things until it had enough atmosphere to bring plants and such.
The second part would be similar to what earth needs but not the first part
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 18, 2015, 10:41:44 pm »

Terraforming is too far out of reach.  We don't know enough about Mars.  We don't know enough about or can't build robust enough life support systems that would be required for people to work and live on or around Mars.  Almost all isolated life systems have a nearly immediate fall back; Earth's surface, which is much more survivable at it's worst than vacuum.  We haven't sent people further than Luna and quite of few of those people nearly died doing so.

There's a lot that must be done before terraforming is even on the table.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 18, 2015, 10:46:20 pm »

Also it has no magnetic field in place that prevents the scouring of the planet's atmosphere from solar winds.

So we'd have to create our own, artificial, giant magnetosphere.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 18, 2015, 10:48:50 pm »

Terraforming Mars.
Who's undecided?

It's an inefficient means to an end.  There are better ways of creating habitable space.

Also it has no magnetic field in place that prevents the scouring of the planet's atmosphere from solar winds.

So we'd have to create our own, artificial, giant magnetosphere.

Just putting a few meters of material (such as ice) between humans and the radiation sources would also do the trick.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 18, 2015, 10:52:06 pm »

His point was that atmosphere would simply blow away if we could create it, not that dealing with radiation is impossible.

The response to which is, we'll just keep smacking comets into it as long as we have it populated.  Of course, even if it had an atmosphere, you'd still get cancer as fast as a ginger on a beach if you spent much time outside.

ed: The idea of simulating a planet sized magnetosphere with an artificial device strikes me as feasible as a ringworld.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 10:55:14 pm by Rez »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 18, 2015, 11:26:46 pm »

Solar Erosion, like all erosion is painfully slow.

If you have the inclination to change the chemical makeup of the atmosphere of the entire planet, then you have the ability to replenish it every couple hundred years.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 19, 2015, 08:25:07 am »

To my understanding even when the atmosphere would indeed be wasted by the solar winds it would take so much time (in order of thousands or millions of years) it would still be practical to do. I could be wrong on those numbers however.

Terra forming, in the case of Mars, could be a by product of heavy industrialization on the planet. Which by it's low gravity could allow us to build space elevators with current engineering and materials, which would in theory make possible to use Mars as source of raw material and or base of heavy polluting industry with little regard of environment.

However the question is, what could be imported from there? Of course it would be an excellent exercise and impulse to the fields of extra terrestrial colonization, terraformation and space travel technologies, but I think it would be feasible only if we encounter huge quantities of rare minerals OR earth governments put enough taxes and restrictions on certain industrial enterprises that at some point it becomes cheaper to do them outside earth.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:35:57 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 19, 2015, 08:39:06 am »

You can't really have industry pumping out CO2 in Mars like it does on Earth, because you don't oxygen to burn fossil fuel (and it's unlikely there as fossil fuel in the first place).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 19, 2015, 08:55:51 am »

You can't really have industry pumping out CO2 in Mars like it does on Earth, because you don't oxygen to burn fossil fuel (and it's unlikely there as fossil fuel in the first place).
There's plenty of oxidizing agents, the thing is they are stuck in the rocks in the form of iron oxide (aka rust), I do not know which alchemy secrets could be used to unlock it from there, but I'm sure there's some way. I read somewhere that huge greenhouses (possible to do with few/light materials because the reduced gravity) could unlock gases from the soil, dunno if oxygen would be among those.

Supposedly heavy water is more abundant on Mars than here, if fusion energy ever becomes a thing, I guess they could use that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:58:44 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 232