Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 233

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 335480 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #600 on: January 14, 2015, 06:27:17 pm »

Cover your missiles with mirrors.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 14, 2015, 08:24:45 pm »

Clearly you have to shoot their lasers with your lasers, and by the law of bad science fiction they'll cancel out.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 14, 2015, 08:28:05 pm »

Yeah, or use cutting edge "fog" technology to make their weapon useless.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 14, 2015, 08:28:38 pm »

I actually have a snazzy book that covers things like this (got it signed by the author too!). I'm working from memory here, but IIRC the basic outline for a "shield" like the kind you see on spaceships in science fiction would be a combination of a few different things, notably a sphere-esque shape of carbon nanotubes to deflect solid objects combined with a fast-transition lens type of thing that would nigh-instantly opaque on contact with a focused light beam (i.e. laser weapon).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 14, 2015, 08:50:24 pm »

I actually have a snazzy book that covers things like this (got it signed by the author too!). I'm working from memory here, but IIRC the basic outline for a "shield" like the kind you see on spaceships in science fiction would be a combination of a few different things, notably a sphere-esque shape of carbon nanotubes to deflect solid objects combined with a fast-transition lens type of thing that would nigh-instantly opaque on contact with a focused light beam (i.e. laser weapon).

Yay, physics of the impossible!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 14, 2015, 10:09:18 pm »

Clearly you have to shoot their lasers with your lasers, and by the law of bad science fiction they'll cancel out.

Oh no they crossed the beams!  :P
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 14, 2015, 10:49:34 pm »

But if it does that, wouldn't all of the laser's heat go to that lens?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 15, 2015, 12:00:25 am »

Is...Is that a TARDIS on the cover?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 15, 2015, 01:07:18 am »

Oh no they crossed the beams!  :P
This works by laws of actual science as well. It's no more and no less than applying interference.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 15, 2015, 01:23:49 am »

Is...Is that a TARDIS on the cover?
Maybe...

But if it does that, wouldn't all of the laser's heat go to that lens?
Yeah, but it could work the same as armor does for bullets. If we know what is gonna take the hit then we could hypothetically engineer that particular material to be highly resistant to that kind of hit (having good thermal resistance and fast diffusion rates, for example). It's not the best, but it's about the best you can get in reality. (Checking the book now it also suggests a plasma window on top of the other two layers to keep oxygen/vacuum from passing through the force field. (It even suggests using argon gas so that you get the same blue-colored glow as they do in Star Trek. :P)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 16, 2015, 02:21:02 am »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 16, 2015, 02:22:57 am »

Things seem to have got a bit explode-y at the end :|
Magma is overrated.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #612 on: January 16, 2015, 12:28:50 pm »

It was, after all, a failed landing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 16, 2015, 02:10:19 pm »

Ah, and SpaceX posted the video too. https://vine.co/v/OjqeYWWpVWK

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 16, 2015, 02:12:24 pm »

Oh, the failed Beagle 2 lander was found intact on the surface of Mars, too. Kinda unexpected - it was assumed to have impacted rather than landed.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 233