Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289951 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #3405 on: July 21, 2023, 10:48:46 pm »

KSP 2 probably doesn't simulate collisions on inactive vessels because there's no need. KSP also doesn't simulate the generation of debris from a satellite collision, so there's no real point to actually testing the Kessler Cascade/orbital overpopulation in KSP.

The problem is not launching one satellite, it's launching the one satellite that gets hit and then sprays debris all over the overpopulated LEO and brings down all of Starlink one collision at a time or whatever.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: August 01, 2023, 01:12:42 am »

The author of the doctoral thesis "A Survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud"? Who'd've thunk! ;)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: August 23, 2023, 07:44:17 am »

The Indian moon lander Vikram succesfully landed on the moon's south pole.
It is carrying the Pragyan moon rover that will explore the moon's surface.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: August 23, 2023, 09:44:50 am »

(...becoming just the fourth nation to soft-land on the Moon. Maybe Russia will become the fifth..?)

Looking forward to the results (yay or nay) about the possible ice there.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: August 23, 2023, 10:01:15 am »

Russia has already landed probes on the Moon. Multiple times. If in the guise of the Soviet Union, which I suppose might count as different enough.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: August 23, 2023, 10:34:00 am »

...that was rather my point. ;) Either USSR or Kazakhstan, depending upon which nation you would currently count it as.

After that and the US, China and now India, it's possible that Israel and Japan (having previously failed but in line for further attempts) might even succeed before Russia (or Kazakhstan, again!) flies the next one.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: August 24, 2023, 04:37:09 am »

Strange to think about how far they've fallen since the collapse of the Soviet Union, you'd think they'd improve on their situation.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: August 26, 2023, 02:51:09 am »

The “Zero-G Indicator” for the SpaceX Crew 7 mission is a three-toed sloth plushie.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: October 03, 2023, 03:21:34 pm »

Dish Network fined over space junk

They're certainly not going after SpaceX...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: October 03, 2023, 04:30:38 pm »

When I read that earlier, it struck me[1] that they didn't really explain that 'only' going a little bit away from geostationary(/-synchronous) leaves it a long long way from threatening the ISS and its spacewalkers.

In fact, the trouble caused by rogue GEO/near-GEO objects is relatively small for a number of reasons[2], which makes the decision to first deal with a partly Graveyard-orbitted item slightly puzzling. (Might just be because it was easier to deal with than objects that are technically in decaying orbits after LEO and even high-LEO manouverability failures, that are likely to 'solve themselves' quicker than the legal process dealing with the still theoretical risk and need to steer 'live' items around a bit for the duration.) But perhaps we'll see more, soon, now that they've plucked this fruit from a surprisingly high branch.

In other Space news, I nearly posted here about the JuMBOs discovered by JWST in Orion's 'sword' nebula. Everyone's trying to work out why we can see so many nomad-pairs of that kind being thrown about (and out) by nascent planetary discs.

[1] But not at (counter-)orbital speeds, obviously.

[2] Fewer things are being sent there than with LEO. Which has a volumetric footprint much larger (even accounting for mostly concentrating them in a narrow torus). Most items are orbitting pretty tightly to the same plan (drift from being off '-stationary', and the small figure-of-8 movement by being eccentric in various ways are the major issue) making intersections slow, in an already slower or it, and not anything like the problems of similarly concentric polar orbits (and/or heliostatic semi-polar ones) allowing objects to be regularly encountering each other at a relative speed double that of the orbit alone), though there might be some risk from those in an actual Tundra orbit

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: December 03, 2023, 08:25:52 am »

Well, crap.

EDIT: ah heh, @Robsoie had the same thought, over in the WTF thread.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 08:27:55 am by McTraveller »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: December 03, 2023, 08:29:41 am »

That's an outline of a boot. I.e. Somebody kicked the Sun in the backside. I.e. there are aliens hiding behind the Sun. QED.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: December 03, 2023, 01:35:06 pm »

We are not. That's a scurrilous lie!

We're behind the...  never you mind.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 232