Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 233

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 346354 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1890 on: September 14, 2016, 08:43:30 am »

That's a bunch of nonsense driven by the political narrative of the past five years. Private enterprise does not have to "take over" space travel anymore than it has to "take over" the military.

Why anybody even thinks this is a zero sum game in the first place is beyond me. Of course, politicians do it so they can peddle their hardass cred and cut space programs even further, but why anybody else does is baffling.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: September 14, 2016, 08:54:27 am »

Well, "take over" is prob not the best term to use in that instance, what I meant is that people be happy about private enterprise attempting to do things governments haven't touched in a good while. Has NASA made successful reusable rockets in the past year? Lol not with their current funding.

I'm all for more NASA funding, but I'm all for commercial exploration of space, too, and the moment governments start going "o hey, private enterprise, you evil creature, we want to regulate you" is the moment in which progress grinds to a halt.

Now, what is currently happening is exactly the opposite of what certain politicians sugest should happen (IE complete takeover by private companies). NASA can totally work side by side with spaceX or any other company to explore space. Hell, they kinda already are, which is a great start, since it means more investors for private companies and less of a burden on NASA to get cargo into space, so NASA can focus on more important matters such as probes and experimental projects. Maybe one day it'll be like hiring a truck to transport your fancy equipment somewhere, except it'll be NASA hiring private companies to deliver their missions to the desired locations, which is kind of already happening.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:00:01 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: September 14, 2016, 10:13:01 am »

SpaceX has a streamlined production with operations in three states and only three states.  Joint Launch Alliance splits the work out among more then forty states.  SpaceX can do things more efficiently.  You dont need to talk about free markets or government regulation.  The only way that government enters into it is where JLA tries to bribe congress by spreading the work out in an inefficent fashion.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: September 14, 2016, 11:22:13 am »

I still kind of wish we had an international space program instead of having to rely on americans and occasionally the chinese government.
The Russians are the only man-lifters in the game. (Chinese are closer to joining them than the US is to rejoining, governmental or commercial...)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: September 15, 2016, 10:24:29 am »

That's a bunch of nonsense driven by the political narrative of the past five years. Private enterprise does not have to "take over" space travel anymore than it has to "take over" the military.

Why anybody even thinks this is a zero sum game in the first place is beyond me. Of course, politicians do it so they can peddle their hardass cred and cut space programs even further, but why anybody else does is baffling.
I still honestly trust profit-motivated organizations more than politically-motivated ones. And I trust politically-neutral organizations most, even if they don't tend to get shit done they don't tend to fuck up as much as dependent organizations.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 15, 2016, 10:39:24 am »

Lehman Brothers, Enron and Blockbuster were all profit-motivated organizations.  The British East India Company was the profit-motivated organization most similar to a government and had a downright abysmal record (started the American revolution, impoverished the Indian subcontinent, constantly dependent on government bailouts).  For profit prisons are so atrocious they make state prisons look like models of excellence and the federal government is shutting them down.  For profit education is so bad that there is now a massive class action lawsuit.  For profit medicine delivers the same result as taxpayer funded medicine but at twice the cost.  For profit banking created the Great Recession (and the great depression, and the savings and loan crisis...)

Sure I'd rather drive a car made by GM (when they aren't bankrupt) then one made by VEB (before the eastern block collapsed) but that's because I can point to a lot of ways that GM makes better cars.  They dont fall apart as quickly for starters!  At the end of the day it's a physical object you are talking about and I just care that GM makes good physical objects while VEB didn't.

Government or profit doesn't make a good rocket anymore then it makes a good doctor.  At the end of the day you look at if they are doing a good job making physical objects.  Joint Launch Enterprise is a joint operation of profit seeking companies that makes rockets badly.  Their supply chains are a shitshow, they have been slow to adopt improvements in manufacturing technology and they aren't ambitious when it comes to mission inefficiencies like reusable rockets.  SpaceX is a profit seeking company that makes rockets well.  Their supply lines aren't a shitshow, they made sure their design reflected best practices of manufacturing and they are trying to squeeze out every ounce of efficiency they can.  The conclusion I draw from that is the SpaceX is better because of the things I just listed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:41:07 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: September 15, 2016, 10:56:12 am »

Wait, the HEIC started the US revolution? Is it something like "they lobbied for tea tariff to keep their profit up"?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 15, 2016, 11:06:41 am »

Wait, the HEIC started the US revolution? Is it something like "they lobbied for tea tariff to keep their profit up"?

Yup
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: September 15, 2016, 12:30:35 pm »

NASA is really good at doing research and development. Their constant need to ferry stuff up for the iss seemed to mme to be holding them back.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: September 15, 2016, 12:37:33 pm »

Meanwhile, China has just launched their second 'space-station'. And good luck to them.

(Sandra Bullock expected to visit soon!).

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1900 on: September 21, 2016, 03:30:20 pm »

"China confirms space station is falling towards Earth". Gravity confirmed.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: September 21, 2016, 03:35:51 pm »

"Not knowing when it's going to come down translates as not knowing where its going to come down."
In before crashing space station parts annihilate the white house, igniting global thermonuclear war. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: September 21, 2016, 03:41:32 pm »

In before crashing space station parts annihilate the white house, igniting global thermonuclear war. :P

The US demonstrated the ability to shoot a deorbiting satellite a couple years back, remember?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: September 21, 2016, 04:10:51 pm »

Couldn't they send out a special mission with a rocket to lock into the main station port and prop it up enough for it to regain stable orbit? I mean, I'm not sure if that would be cost effective, but I'd guess it probably is, considering that its an entire space station being lost :U
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 21, 2016, 04:17:53 pm »

It would be more expensive then hitting it at a crash trajectory.  And if they wait until it enters a terminal trajectory they can calculate it's trajectory and probably wont need to spend any money at all.  Might as well just send up a new satellite.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 233