Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 233

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 346624 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1620 on: April 08, 2016, 06:06:59 pm »

It doesn't look like it should be possible and yet here we are.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: April 08, 2016, 06:14:44 pm »

one point of data does not make a line.

Time will tell if this is repeatable.

Should it be repeatable, it will radically reduce the costs of launching payloads into LEO.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: April 08, 2016, 06:16:17 pm »

It doesn't make a line but it definitely moves the odds from the "possibly possible" to "definitely possible" category.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: April 09, 2016, 03:52:13 am »

They managed it once on land, they've been getting closer and closer on the Boat Landing front, I have high hopes
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: April 19, 2016, 06:02:27 am »

one point of data does not make a line.

Time will tell if this is repeatable.

Should it be repeatable, it will radically reduce the costs of launching payloads into LEO.

Thing is, they don't lose the payload if the rocket crashes into the ocean/explodes instead of landing on the barge, and the barge has been fine all the other times the rocket crashed into it/fell over on it/exploded on it, wasn't it?  It was still floating afterwards, at least, right?  So even if the rocket crashes half the time, you're still paying half as much for replacing rockets (ignoring refurbishment costs).  You just need to be paying less extra in rocket fuel  and infrastructure, etc, than you're saving in not having to build a new first stage every single mission. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what other tricks people manage to implement to make going to 8000 km/s cheaper  :P
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: April 19, 2016, 08:23:47 am »

To get cheaper, rockets probably need to eventually be replaced, because they have to carry their own fuel up with them.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: April 19, 2016, 08:53:22 am »

Obviously we need to just build everything in orbit and then transfer our consciousnesses into space by radio waves.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: April 19, 2016, 09:06:30 am »

I think that a space elevator might be slightly more reasonable than that.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: April 19, 2016, 09:45:06 am »

It didn't get much attention with the SpaceX landing, but the payload SpaceX was carrying was an inflatable module for the ISS That has been attached over the week-end. It'll be inflated in May.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: April 19, 2016, 02:12:08 pm »

To get cheaper, rockets probably need to eventually be replaced, because they have to carry their own fuel up with them.
I think that a space elevator might be slightly more reasonable than that.
Hey now, I'm as much a fan of megastructures as anyone, but we can't actually build one of those yet.  Reusable rockets will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce costs, and we can do it right now- no new wonder materials needed.  Fuel makes up a tiny, tiny fraction of space launch costs.  Most of it comes from having to build a very low-tolerance, high-tech, massive contraption every time you want to send something up.

Your car might have shitty gas mileage, but you'd still be driving a LOT less if it exploded everytime you arrived somewhere.  :P

Still.  If we can figure out how to make CNT's or an equivalent material commercially in large quantities...  well, it'll cause a revolution in construction akin to the invention of industrial steel foundries.

It didn't get much attention with the SpaceX landing, but the payload SpaceX was carrying was an inflatable module for the ISS That has been attached over the week-end. It'll be inflated in May.

Yeah, I saw that.  I wonder how well it'll stand up to impacts compared to the regular modules?  Very appealing idea for transport, though, every decimetre counts when you're trying to fit a payload in an atmospheric spacecraft.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:15:58 pm by RadtheCad »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: April 19, 2016, 02:23:59 pm »

Supposedly it's made of some secret special company material that will resist microimpacts just as well as the metal hull will. That said there is a reason why the astronauts will only actually be in the habitat for a tiny bit of time to run some tests during this initial maiden run.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: April 19, 2016, 02:29:34 pm »

Well, it's layers of Kevlar, Nomex and the life. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it's much more resistant than the relatively thin (due to weigh concerns) metal walls of the station.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: April 19, 2016, 05:36:31 pm »

Genesis I & II have been in orbit since 2006/2007, supposedly without any issues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigelow_Aerospace#Expandable_habitat_modules

Also Bigelow(the guy) that builds the things also owns a hotel chain.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: April 19, 2016, 05:40:41 pm »

Genesis I & II have been in orbit since 2006/2007, supposedly without any issues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigelow_Aerospace#Expandable_habitat_modules

Also Bigelow(the guy) that builds the things also owns a hotel chain.
The difference is that this is the first one that is designed to be able to work in tandem with life support; i.e. the goals for this particular one are "to test the BEAM module's structural integrity, leak rate, radiation dosage and temperature changes over a two-year-long mission".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: April 19, 2016, 06:52:02 pm »

But the station uses that multi-layered shielding that fragments incoming debris, greatly improving defense, doesn't it?  Hmm.  Well, that's what testing's for...
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 233