Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: The Spambot Discussion Thread  (Read 37896 times)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: The Spambot Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 04:56:49 am »

This just has to be posted. Not the first time I've posted it in a discussion here but it's just too relevant and sums up any content I'd post otherwise.

There was one poster who was actually quite close to this... was only given away by the fifa14 coins link at the bottom of each post.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 05:18:37 am »

I just want to know what the person who maintains these spambots is thinking they'll accomplish. People on the Internet aren't exactly dumb anymore. It'd make more sense if there was some sort of kitchen remodelling forum where they could blend in more, but around these parts? Really? :-\
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 05:21:50 am »

I just want to know what the person who maintains these spambots is thinking they'll accomplish. People on the Internet aren't exactly dumb anymore. It'd make more sense if there was some sort of kitchen remodelling forum where they could blend in more, but around these parts? Really? :-\

It's for Google rankings, not clicks.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 07:54:18 am »

Well, the first time I saw one I thought it was a DF help question about the kitchen workshop, so :P.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 08:53:08 am »

I saw one the other day called something along the lines of "Woman responds simply throwing a tampon", I think. Inside it was pretty much nonsense, followed by "Watch bla bla bla online free now".

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 01:00:02 pm »

I know it's not directly related to the forums, but it seems an appropriate place to share: you know those "I'm a Nigerian prince will you please take all my money" emails? The other day I got one in Czech. I mean, the whole email was written in the Czech language. Not machine-translated, either. It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough that the person who wrote it must have had some ability with the language.

I kept it. It's just such a novelty.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 01:02:02 pm »

I know it's not directly related to the forums, but it seems an appropriate place to share: you know those "I'm a Nigerian prince will you please take all my money" emails? The other day I got one in Czech. I mean, the whole email was written in the Czech language. Not machine-translated, either. It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough that the person who wrote it must have had some ability with the language.

Why, couldn't it simply be a Czech scammer sending the email?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 01:07:17 pm »

[language=Czechoslovakian]Hello. I am an American Prince. Please give me your credit card numbers so I can share my wealth with you.[/language]

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 01:37:11 pm »

I looked on Google, and it isn't just this one forum. Apparently there are multiple forums being terrorized by kitchenbots. I have no clue, but I suspect there is a source to these spambots.
Holy Christ it's like some sort of evil organization bent on world domination. Only they aren't very ambitious and only want our kitchens.

The fact that they're strictly for Great Britain makes me think of Dr. Who. It's obviously part of a strange alien plot designed to conquer the planet!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 03:22:46 pm »

Plus, we live on a cornucopia planet. Orbital bombardment might screw that up, and occupation would be quite difficult to accomplish I'd guess. If they were to exist and able to interract with us, which I kind of doubt but I can't guarentee, why would they attack when they could secretly trade world leaders select alien tech for whatever biological or whatever other resources they wouldn't be able to obtain safely or otherwise not know enough about to want to spend the effort to gather? It would be almost like the Polo family deciding to attack Kubilai Khan's court except with more disparete technology differences.

I remember seeing something a few years ago, probably on History channel while it was evolving to it's current reality show and sasquatch is an alien lineup, that someone said we got velcro from aliens. I think he claimed it came from the supposed Roswell crash, though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:25:38 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 05:41:00 pm »

You know, kitchen bots, as I and my Awesomenauts forum comrades call them, are more of a joke than anything else, to the point where people want a kitchen-related character/skin and references to them in the voice acting for the new character(s).

Though the problem I have with them is that, at least the UK kitchen spam bots, are pointless because nobody lives in UK, except for those who do. #logic

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 09:05:36 pm »

To be clear, the things on this forum aren't automated, they're real people, right? What with the captcha for account creation.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 09:08:18 pm »

To be clear, the things on this forum aren't automated, they're real people, right? What with the captcha for account creation.
They could very well be the Third World Spambot.

SilverSynch

• Bay Watcher
  • The Inconcivable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 09:10:24 pm »

Captchas can be solved by robots.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2013, 09:53:56 pm »

Captchas can be solved by robots.
:oooooOOOOOOO
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21