Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Competitive Dwarf Fortress  (Read 4645 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Competitive Dwarf Fortress
« on: November 04, 2013, 02:08:56 pm »

Competitive Dwarf Fortress

After reading numerous Stories of community fortresses, the incompetence of overseers (From the eyes of curent overseer) and after hearing a bit about Screw the next guy over game I present you this.

The game: Several players start a fortress each.
                After 1 in game year, all players swich fortresses.
                The goal is to be the last one standing.
               To complete your year you get 1 week. (May change as fortress size increases.)
The rules: Map size is small/pocket. Starting area is 4x4 or less.
              You can start in any enviroment, with any amount of trees, goblins, water, and whatever else you want. This also applies to year. You can let your world to be generated for however long you like.
              Any amount of moding (real mods or homebrew stat changes, nobody cares) can be aplied BEFORE you first start. Any amount after the first day of the fortress is forbiden.
              Any way of gameplay is allowed. You last a year and then pass the fortress to somone else. Whether you do it by making champion out of your dwarwes and castles out of mountains or by pure luck and chance doesn't matter.
              Runesmith  and any other way to edit game stats are forbiden.
Programs whitelist (courtesy of peregarret):Therapist (or Manipulator console)
                                                           stonesense
                                                          digv/vx/l/lx/exp/circle
                                                          quickfort
                                                          tweak, drybuckets
                                                          any plugin that lists some game properties
                                                          prospect (without "all" or "hell" options), deathcause, so on.
                                                          infinitesky - in case you want to build a 100-z tower
                                                          any plugin that doesn't change anything in-game.
Bonus fairplay rule: After you pass on the fort, if said fort colapses for any reason, you get back to playing said fort next week. Your plan of hell breach on first year doesnt sound that good now, does it?
Ways to lose: Death of all dwarfs. (Rather obivious)
                    Geting undenyably proven of cheating. (Using runesmith or anything else to mod things after game has started)
                   Running out of time (RL beast has claimed many forts)
                   Sudden Death (If nobody dies in a long time it will start happening)

Suden death: Each swich, fortress which created least wealth durning the year will be eliminated.

Bonus material/presumed FAQ: Modding in surprises (12 dragon siege at 79 migrants) is allowed and encouraged.
                                          FPS death is just as legit as any other. 1!2cat1!1
                                          Fastdwarf is not alowed. ( might change depending on general FPS. ( catsplosions can be dealt with by leaving you pc on overnight while queing up massive catslaughter. You won't die at 5 fps. Probably.) )
                                          SaveScuming can't realy be checked, so it will be left for the honnor of players. (FPS death is made more effective by this. Combo stuff FTW)
                                          Turning off levers, building 50 identical levers around a pair of levers, one of which closes main gate and other releases lava in the Dining hall is allowed and encouraged.
                                          When player goes out, the fortress that was supposed to go to his killer is discarded.
                                          Winning gives braging rights until next game. Building a megaproject gives braging rights until somone builds a bigger one.

Remember, walling in is for cowards.

Curent victims vollunteers: 1)peregarrett
                                     2)4maskwolf
                                     3)Lost in Nowhere
                                     4)WoobMonkey
                                     5)Matoro
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:23:20 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:10:56 pm »

Any questions and sugestions are welcome.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:35:11 pm »

Wow. Sounds !!Fun!! Count me in.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:20:19 pm »

Interesting idea... make sure to specify that fastdwarf is not allowed, at least for the first turn. It's already implied, but someone is going to argue the point. Better to be cut and dry, than have a flame war.

However, later on it could be argued in as a method of combating FPS so as to make game not a matter of 1/2 the players losing to artificially induced catsplosions left by a crafty and devious player.

"Let the games begin!"

"May the odds ever be in your favour!"

Other cliches and famous/infamous quotes insert here.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:52:40 pm »

We already have something of the sort here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131639.0

Mind you, that's in a continent that's completely frozen over and the fortresses only exist on volcanoes.
This could work very well if you're deliberately trying to screw over the next guy.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 06:02:04 pm »

I wish I had the time to do this.

PTW

EDIT: As a rule question, would one be allowed to make a fort, fill it with 60 vampires, and then abandon it so the next fort will have tons of incoming vamps for the next player?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:30:56 pm »

Sign me up.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:00:29 pm »

i have a feeling that someone's gonna mod in a 12 dragon siege and die to it before their year is up.

We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:54:44 am »

The International: Dwarf Fortress Edition.
PTW

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 02:01:20 am »

What dfhack plugins are allowed?
I suggest this white list:
Therapist (or Manipulator console)
stonesense
digv/vx/l/lx/exp/circle
quickfort
tweak, drybuckets
any plugin that lists some game properties - colinies, weather, showmood (guessing which type of cloth the dwarf need is fun only for a few first times), prospect (without "all" or "hell" options), deathcause, so on.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 07:26:50 am »

What dfhack plugins are allowed?
I suggest this white list:
Therapist (or Manipulator console)
stonesense
digv/vx/l/lx/exp/circle
quickfort
tweak, drybuckets
any plugin that lists some game properties - colinies, weather, showmood (guessing which type of cloth the dwarf need is fun only for a few first times), prospect (without "all" or "hell" options), deathcause, so on.
Thanks, my experience with mods and game manipulations is rather minimal. Added to OP.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 07:36:21 am »

Did this thread die?

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 01:49:19 pm »

Well, unless this gets enough people to actualy start a game, it will remain simply collecting and improving rulebook. You decide how alive is that.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 02:04:21 pm »

This sounds like a nifty idea.  I'm in.

One question, though: any limits to the sizes of worlds generated, and embarks chosen?  A 3x3, or 4x4 embark on a small region is far less likely to fps out in the first couple years than, say, a 12x12 embark in a 257x257 world.

I suggest we at least standardize the sizes of worlds and embark locations, but it's hardly a point I'll press if nobody agrees.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 02:13:44 pm »

Suggestion seconded.
Pages: [1] 2 3