Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]

Author Topic: Transhumanism Discussion Thread  (Read 53538 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Transhumanism Discussion Thread
« Reply #675 on: January 23, 2014, 02:12:32 pm »

You misused 'objectivists"... But I don't want to nag: I really like your way of talking to them. It's rather like how I talk to atheists about religion, hoping to slowly turn them into religion-friendly agnostics like myself...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 23, 2014, 02:58:16 pm »

You misused 'objectivists"... But I don't want to nag: I really like your way of talking to them. It's rather like how I talk to atheists about religion, hoping to slowly turn them into religion-friendly agnostics like myself...
Theism and gnosticism are not the same thing. You could not have either applicable to you, or it could be one and not the other, or it could be both.
I, personally, am not above nitpicking :P
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 23, 2014, 03:04:41 pm »

*tsk tsk*

(sardonic joke mode on)

The pedant pedant's antecedent
was to see a point, yet fail to read it.

(sardonic joke mode off)

Seriously kids, dont make me brow beat you with Baudrillard, and the nature of abstraction in language, OK? :)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 23, 2014, 03:30:28 pm »

I just don't like religion because it's horribly silly.

* Descan adjusts monocle.

Harumph.

* Descan pillages a church for good measure.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 23, 2014, 04:30:23 pm »

That's an excellent summary of a lot of human traits, or the base of them, at any rate. Well done, wierd.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 23, 2014, 04:30:52 pm »

The funny thing is though, that "religion" doesn't always take the form of robed people teaching about bearded men in the sky. It's been my experience that people will angrily defend any dogmatic belief they've held from an early age regardless of topic. For example, try telling people that dinosaurs never existed/were never real. People will clamber over each other for the opportunity to call you an idiot for that assertion. Why? Because they believe dinosaurs were real. Have they ever seen a dinosaur? No. But they read in a book that they were real. Kind of like the bible. And teachers taught them at a young age that dinosaurs were real. Kind of like priests. The more clever ones will try to claim that fossils exist...but have they ever seen those fossils? No, they've only been told they exist and read about them in a book.

It's not so different.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 23, 2014, 04:33:07 pm »

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 23, 2014, 04:34:44 pm »

The funny thing is though, that "religion" doesn't always take the form of robed people teaching about bearded men in the sky. It's been my experience that people will angrily defend any dogmatic belief they've held from an early age regardless of topic. For example, try telling people that dinosaurs never existed/were never real. People will clamber over each other for the opportunity to call you an idiot for that assertion. Why? Because they believe dinosaurs were real. Have they ever seen a dinosaur? No. But they read in a book that they were real. Kind of like the bible. And teachers taught them at a young age that dinosaurs were real. Kind of like priests. The more clever ones will try to claim that fossils exist...but have they ever seen those fossils? No, they've only been told they exist and read about them in a book.

It's not so different.

There's these things called 'museums'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 23, 2014, 04:35:25 pm »

LB likes to see his owns words no matter how inane they are. Its sad when you can't tell if he's trolling or seriously believes it.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 23, 2014, 04:36:11 pm »

https://www.google.com/search?q=dinosaur+bones

Congratulations for being the first guy who rushes to defend his dogmatic belief.

Here's my response:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dinosaur+bones#q=god

Why is your link more valid?

There's these things called 'museums'.

Congratulations for being the second to rush to defend his dogmatic beliefs. Before I could even finish typing the response to the first, even.

Here is my response:

There are things called 'churches'

Why is that response any less valid than yours?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 23, 2014, 04:36:44 pm »

No, seriously, you're a fool. Fossils are real. God is a belief, science has proven time and time again that there is no empirical evidence for faith based religions while on the other hand we have these neat things called fossil evidence to show us what we can't see alive today. Look it up. Truly a postmodern wannabe intellectual.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 23, 2014, 04:37:40 pm »

Uh-uh, no, there is no fucking way I'm abiding this in a thread that it has no relevance to. Stop.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 23, 2014, 04:38:14 pm »

LB likes to see his owns words no matter how inane they are.

Yes, clearly anything that disagrees with the dogmatic beliefs you were taught as a child is inane.

Do you see that your deep and immediate emotional response to having your beliefs questioned is no different than the response of people defending their religion?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 23, 2014, 04:38:44 pm »

The difference is one thing: science is based of the idea that you look for the most probable explanation. The more clues to something you have, the more likely it is that that's how it happened.

Now let's look at religion. How likely are you to believe someone, who for all you know may have been stoned out of his mind, when he comes telling you that there is something always looking over you, something incomprehensible and alien to you, toying with your every whim and messing with your life, all according to its plan?
In case you hadn't noticed, H.P. Lovecraft's work was probably a satire of the idea of God.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 23, 2014, 04:39:27 pm »

No. Because you're being a jackass and denying that fossils exist. I was raised Jewish, not that reading comprehension is your thing, so don't tell me I was raised in a dogmatic place to believe in science. In fact I was raised in a dogmatic place that advocates such idiocy as you are currently.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]