Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 46

Author Topic: Transhumanism Discussion Thread  (Read 53646 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: Transhumanism Discussion Thread
« Reply #420 on: January 15, 2014, 08:30:00 am »

In an attempt to rerail this thread, let's some up what we've determined within these last two pages: to come up with a definite proof of whether you exist or not is approximately as easy as making an AI version of yourself that works along one of the other three known dimensions instead of time and giving it a way to communicate with you.

D...did I just end up derailing my own statement before posting it? It started out as a theory on how to come up with the aforementioned proof.

Anyway, I think this:
"Free will" is the exercise of choice through decision-making, which I also clearly have by virtue of having made decisions, but I don't think that makes me exempt from the laws of causality. A highly deterministic brain poses no more problem for free will than does a large rock pinning me to the ground. And I'm always confused by people asserting that the fact that I was always going to make a particular choice meant that I never made it - that's blatantly contradictory.
describes what I think pretty well. What's been called "free will" may not be as "free" as formerly thought, but how does that make it invalid? A program making a decision is still making a decision, and is as free in that as anything else can be.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 15, 2014, 04:12:04 pm »

Your thoughts and pondering shall not rerail this thread, only words can do that. Words applied precisely and accurately, like plane launched missile-guided bunker-busters. If I had help it would be easier.

This Is Tranhumanism thread. Not the Transcendence thread, not the Trans-humans thread, Transhumanism. We could open up a Philosophy thread. But should the topic of Transhumanism be applicable, it would instead be buried under "do I really exist" and "free will is descisionmaking", and so on and so on.

Unless you want to put yourselves in a simulation, it is off-topic and could be moved elsewhere.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 15, 2014, 04:16:44 pm »

Your thoughts and pondering shall not rerail this thread, only words can do that. Words applied precisely and accurately, like plane launched missile-guided bunker-busters. If I had help it would be easier.

This Is Tranhumanism thread. Not the Transcendence thread, not the Trans-humans thread, Transhumanism. We could open up a Philosophy thread. But should the topic of Transhumanism be applicable, it would instead be buried under "do I really exist" and "free will is descisionmaking", and so on and so on.

Unless you want to put yourselves in a simulation, it is off-topic and could be moved elsewhere.

There was a philosophy thread, it just sank in the depths of pages >2 around, uh, late Summer I think.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 15, 2014, 09:16:45 pm »

It's not exactly on-topic, but it's related.  The nature of life and identity is pretty central to transhumanism.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For example, LordBucket, the way you're phrasing it here makes it sound like you'd consider a camera to be conscious.  It observes.  I know that's not exactly what you mean, though.  There has to be some kind of mind interpreting the sensory data into meaningful experience.  But meaningful interpretation of data can be conducted by things that you probably wouldn't recognize as being conscious.

Let's link that back to the simulated universe tangent.  In this situation, your consciousness isn't your own.  You are a subprocess of a larger program.  Your experiences aren't really experiences so much as they are the interaction of variables between subprocesses.  Within the context of the subprocess that identifies itself as a consciousness, those interactions are, subjectively, experiences.  Outside of that context, those interactions may, objectively, just be one set of brackets within some giant equation that spits out the number 42.

I know what you're thinking.  Regardless of the reality of those experiences or their place in some larger scheme or even their ultimate abstraction into something incomprehensible, those experiences were still had by you and define you as a conscious being.  Right?

But imagine you have a dream.  This dream contains two perspectives.  One is you.  One is a completely separate identity.  These two identities within the dream do not share any thoughts or experiences.  They're completely separate and the one that isn't you, within the context of the dream, completely believes itself to be an individual being having completely unique experiences.  When you wake up, you vividly recall both perspectives concurrently, not as if they were separate dreams, but the same dream with both perspectives operating at the same time within it.  But that other consciousness within the dream is now terminated, having been a construct of your own mind, its dream-life having no relation to your reality other than its lingering in your memory.  But you distinctly remember that other perspective's true belief in its own identity and the separateness of its experiences from your own perspective that was operating at the same time.

Do you believe that other perspective in your dream was a consciousness separate from yours?  If not, how does that differ from the hypothetical situation where you are a subprocess?

Whatever your stance, it has many potential ramifications for when the merger between human and machine begins extending into the mind.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:19:23 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 15, 2014, 09:34:26 pm »

It's time for "Oh god this is seriously happening, oh god I hope they don't accidentally kill our entire species messing around with this" news on the Transhumanism Thread!

First up, $1000 genome sequencing. Won't be many years until that hits $100, then $10, then "fuck it, we make more money giving it away".

Secondly, the fourth most powerful supercomputer has simulated 1% of human brain activity over one second, taking 40 minutes. Progress, if nothing else.

But hey, I'm sure this will all be perfectly ethical quandary-free, I mean, it's not like we're going to have to deal with rampantly questionable Chinese transhumanis-oh. Oh dear.

Finally, a take of smartphones, time travelers, and retrospect in regards to technological development. Singularitarians take note.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 15, 2014, 10:01:02 pm »

Don't worry about the chinese having designer babies. They'll engineer 100% of their population to be male instead of just 90%.

In another 50 years they won't matter. :)

The more interesting question is what more militaristic world governments (like mine... creepy..) will do with inexpensive and well matured genomic research and genetic synthesis equipment.

Remember, the soviet union did some rather.. erhm... "questionable".. experiments using gorillas.

Just imagine the same people, with vastly superior tools.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 15, 2014, 10:13:40 pm »

Don't worry about the chinese having designer babies. They'll engineer 100% of their population to be male instead of just 90%.

In another 50 years they won't matter. :)

The more interesting question is what more militaristic world governments (like mine... creepy..) will do with inexpensive and well matured genomic research and genetic synthesis equipment.

Remember, the soviet union did some rather.. erhm... "questionable".. experiments using gorillas.

Just imagine the same people, with vastly superior tools.
Chinese have already shot themselves in the foot with the now decades long one-child policy. That aging population problem is particularly bad in China, and, unlike elsewhere, this is solely an artificial problem.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 15, 2014, 10:17:23 pm »

Bauglir didn't say ANYTHING about angels or crap. You're being pretty unfair. All he's saying is that claiming that consciousness cannot exist because it can't be proved empirically discounts empirical proof in the first place, and is therefore a contradictory thing to say.
Nope; that was a reference to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_many_angels_can_dance_on_the_head_of_a_pin%3F
Nor was it a reply merely to Bauglir, but rather to the overall malaise of the discussions of dancing angels infesting this thread. Anywho; enough angels! INITIALIZING DATA-DUMP RERAIL PROTOCOLS!

Plenty of news from the last couple weeks, what with CES and all.

On the vehicle front:
Both Audi and BMW brought self-driving cars to CES; Mercedes and many others apparently also have their own prototypes, though I didn't glance any articles on others actually brought to CES. Another thing of note in this department, NVidia's CES presentation had a very extensive segment on GPUs in vehicles; effectively giving them the processing power for both self-driving applications and similar systems.
And the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will soon rule on whether new cars will be required to communicate with one another to aid in such systems
http://www.popsci.com/article/cars/us-may-soon-require-cars-be-able-talk-each-other?dom=PSC&loc=recent&lnk=3&con=us-may-soon-require-cars-be-able-to-talk-to-each-other
And, of course, if this data is used by cities, it could have some rather interesting results regarding intelligent routing.

VR systems:
The Oculus Rift has a new prototype that includes accurate motion sensing, as well as its previous rotational detection abilities.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/new-oculus-prototype-features-positional-tracking-reduced-motion-blur/
Sony also showed off a VR headset of thier own: http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/13/gameface-labs-hands-on-ces-2014/
Valve released a version of the steam interface for VR; and supposedly showed off their own VR headset. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/valves-experimental-steamvr-brings-games-to-head-mounted-displays/
And then there was the Omni Virtuix, the VR treadmill: http://www.popsci.com/article/gadgets/ces-2014-how-experience-virtual-reality-without-tripping-over-furniture

AI/Computing:
IBM's Watson work continues apace; they've officially announced a business division concerned with creating and encouraging applications using it; with $1 billion of funding. This is pretty expected, since they already announced an API for third party developers to use it via the cloud. http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/ibm-backs-watson-1-billion-and-new-business-division
Analysis of the word use/writing style in a book used to predict popularity: http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/software-accurately-predicts-books-popularity-analyzing-their-sentences
Also announced at NVidia's CES press conference, the specs for their new Tegra K1 mobile processors. Why do I mention this? Because those specs show them to be approximately on par with the last-gen consoles; the XBox360 and PS3. For wearable tech, that's a pretty big amount of processing power available to you. http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/01/06/the-192-core-super-chip-tegra-k1-brings-serious-gaming-chops-to-mobile/
Speaking of mobile, here's an interesting experiment in super-thin electronics, which are thin and flexible enough to drape over a human hair: http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/big-pic-electronic-membrane-thin-enough-drape-over-human-hairs

3D printing:
MakerBot now has an even bigger consumer 3D printer, which can print objects up to 12"x12"x18". As well as a smaller machine with an 8"x10"x6" print size. http://www.popsci.com/article/gadgets/ces-2014-makerbot-unveils-makerbot-can-print-makerbot
And a 3d printer intended for restaurants, capable of printing out little flavored sugar-candies: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/01/13/262066977/spinach-dinosaurs-to-sugar-diamonds-3-d-printers-hit-the-kitchen

Brain/medical/augmentation:
So apparently, you can use ultrasound for brain stimulation; which supposedly means much more control and ability to target a specific region. In this example, the enhanced subjects' sense of touch with it. http://www.popsci.com/article/science/boost-your-sense-touch-ultrasonic-brain-stimulation
That long-promised $1000 full genome sequencing technology is here: http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/01/the-1000-genome-could-be-yours-if-you-spend-10-million-on-equipment/
Another system at CES was the Scanadu Scout. Essentially, a sophisticated sensor kit capable of detecting a variety of vital signs. The idea being, variations could thus be detected within days, long before their root cause manifested as a serious health complication. http://www.scanadu.com/
And in the unusual robotic hands category, "Versaballs" are a new sort which are surprisingly flexible, and require really no training or software to pick up just about any object. They're an outgrowth of an original system which used a simple vaccuum pump, balloon, and coffee grounds. They work by becoming soft by filling the gripper with air, such that the material (coffee grounds) filling it can slide past itself, then pulling the air out to become hard and rigid in whatever shape is necessary to hold the object in question. http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/zero-moment/throw-your-jams-air-morphing-robotic-hands-have-arrived

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 16, 2014, 01:21:25 am »

Whatever your stance, it has many potential ramifications for when the merger between human
and machine begins extending into the mind.

Well, yes. The whole reason this sub-topic came up was in relation to brain to computer transfers and robot replacements and thing. My own view is as I stated a dozen pages ago or so: I'm not convinced that if the neural pathways in my brain were reproduced, be it via hardware or software...I'm not convinced that "I" would be in that reproduction.

the way you're phrasing it here makes it sound like you'd consider a camera to be conscious.  It observes.  I know that's not exactly what you mean, though.  There has to be some kind of mind interpreting the sensory data into meaningful experience.  But meaningful interpretation of data can be conducted by things that you probably wouldn't recognize as being conscious.

I have no way of knowing whether a cameras is concious, because I'm not a camera and the only thing that I can observe is my own awareness. Again, by definition. But let's work with a more illustrative example: put a penny on your desk. Push it with your finger. The penny moves. Would you argue that the penny "observed" the input and reacted by moving? How is that any different than your camera example? Mechanical action-->reaction is not the same as awareness. Maybe the camera and penny are both aware, and simply lacking enough free will to usefully influence the processes they experience. Free will and awareness are different things. You can watch a movie without having any effect on the choices the characters make. Your lack of influence doesn't change the fact that you re nevertheless watching the movie.

Let's link that back to the simulated universe tangent.  In this situation, your consciousness isn't your own.  You are a subprocess of a larger program.  Your experiences aren't really experiences so much as they are the interaction of variables between subprocesses.  Within the context of the subprocess that identifies itself as a consciousness, those interactions are, subjectively, experiences.  Outside of that context, those interactions may, objectively, just be one set of brackets within some giant equation that spits out the number 42.

I know what you're thinking.  Regardless of the reality of those experiences or their place in some larger scheme or even their ultimate abstraction into something incomprehensible, those experiences were still had by you and define you as a conscious being.  Right?

...well...kind of...but, I already suggested that consciousness is probably necessarily related to networking. To be aware of something...kind of implies that there is a "something" that one is aware of, right? For an observation to occur, there has to be an observer...and something that is observed. That's two entities. The observed doesn't necessarily need to be a physical thing. You can close your eyes and imagine puppies, and you're having the experience of imagining puppies. That's fine. All the same there is an observer and an observed.

In our case, assuming your experience is similar to mine....there are lots of things being observed. I see my computer, table, desk, keyboard, house, walls, floor, etc. I feel the sensations of my weight on my chair, the tightness of clothes on my body, the air passing through my nostrils. Many things are being observed, and "we" collectively exist in a network of shared experience. I infer that, as my clothes are pushing on my body, the body is also pushing back on my clothes. The light that reaches my eyes conveying images of my keyboard also touched the keyboard. All of the "things" in this collective experience are interacting with each other. We are a network in constant communication.

In that sense, all of "creation" is a collective network with varying degrees of communication among its components.

So...saying that my own particular consciousness is a subprocess of a larger program...well, yeah.  Saying that my consciousness is an interaction between subprocesses...well, yeah. That's kind of what consciousness is. If I say that "X is aware of Y" that implies that there's both an X and a Y.

So I'm not really seeing how what you're saying is different from what I'm saying. And yes, the "I know what you're thinking" part about these experience being had by me...that's also true, but none of the things you're saying in the above quoted text contradicts anything else.

For example, if I assert that my house is painted blue, and you respond that "yes but...your house is part of a neighborhood and the other houses are also painted blue." That might be true...but...what's your point?

imagine you have a dream.  This dream contains two perspectives.  One is you.  One is a completely separate identity.  These two identities within the dream do not share any thoughts or experiences.  They're completely separate and the one that isn't you, within the context of the dream, completely believes itself to be an individual being having completely unique experiences.  When you wake up, you vividly recall both perspectives concurrently, not as if they were separate dreams, but the same dream with both perspectives operating at the same time within it.  But that other consciousness within the dream is now terminated, having been a construct of your own mind, its dream-life having no relation to your reality other than its lingering in your memory.  But you distinctly remember that other perspective's true belief in its own identity and the separateness of its experiences from your own perspective that was operating at the same time.

Do you believe that other perspective in your dream was a consciousness separate from yours?  If not, how does that differ from the hypothetical situation where you are a subprocess?

This requires several answers:

1) I probably am a subprocess. I can't directly observe that. By definition. Because if I were directly aware of "greater" processes" than "I" ...the "I" that would be making that observation would be the collective of "this me" plus those other processes. But I tend to assume that I am a subprocess and that there are other processes besides me, because the model by which I'm a subprocess seems arbitrarily more plausible to me that a purely solipsist "I am all that exists" model.

But using that model, however arbitrary it might be, the only thing that isn't a subprocess of something else is "All That Exists." Whether you put religious connotation on it and call it "God" or simply look at it from the obvious point of view that given any arbitrary set, the only set of that set that isn't a subset is the entire set...either way, yes...that's how it it. SO, given the set of "the entire universe everything that exists" ...of course I'm a "subset" of that. So yes, I'm a subprocess, because I'm not "everything that exists." Right?

2) I take some issue with the literal phrasing of your scenario. If I have a dream about personalities, I don't know that I'd assume that those dreamed personalities were conscious entities any more than if I were playing with dolls and having the dolls talk to each that I'd assume that the doll personalities were real conscious entities.

But, trying to work with spirit and intent f what I think you probably mean...I would say yes, "shared, subprocess  sub-consciousness" is a valid thing. Again, I am most likely a subprocess. And I fully expect that there are "greater" consciousnesses that I am part of and who are aware of everything that I am aware of, even if I am not aware of them.

More to the point, even my own consciousness appears to be composed of sub processes with limited awareness of each other. For example: I have an emotional experience. I have a verbal internal monologue. I have sensations of wearing clothes. These various subprocesses have very limited if at all awareness of each other. The part of me that is "sensation of wearing clothes" appears to have no awareness of the emotional experience of happiness and joy when I watch kitten videos on youtube. Whereas the part of me that is internal verbal monologue seems to have awareness of the existence of these other two parts of me, but doesn't seem to actually experience the same things that they do.

I'm aware of my own subprocesses. Aren't you?

So, yes. "I" am a network of subprocesses. And the collective that I consider "me" is probably a subprocess of a larger network. "All of humanity" is probably perceived from a higher process as being a single subprocess. The Milky Way galaxy is probably perceived from  yet higher processes as being a single subprocess. And eventually you get to "All That Is" which presumably is aware of absolutely everything that exists. I'm speculating of course, but since I'm a network of conscious subprocesses that I'm aware of but have limited awareness of each other, it seems rather arbitrary to assume that "the network that is I" is all that exists and that nothing outside of me is aware of me.

When you watch a youtube kitten video and feel happy, cuddly joy at the adorableness...is the part of you that experiences that experience aware of the sensation of the chair you're sitting on pushing up against you? Or are they separate and distinct? And yet there is a "you" that is aware of both of these things, yes?

3)

Do you believe that other perspective in your dream was a consciousness separate from yours?

How is separation possible in the model I describe? The two dream-entities you described might not have been aware of each other, and they might not have been aware of me...but calling us "separate" is missing the big picture.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 16, 2014, 10:32:55 am »

On the vehicle front:
Both Audi and BMW brought self-driving cars to CES; Mercedes and many others apparently also have their own prototypes, though I didn't glance any articles on others actually brought to CES. Another thing of note in this department, NVidia's CES presentation had a very extensive segment on GPUs in vehicles; effectively giving them the processing power for both self-driving applications and similar systems.
And the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will soon rule on whether new cars will be required to communicate with one another to aid in such systems
http://www.popsci.com/article/cars/us-may-soon-require-cars-be-able-talk-each-other?dom=PSC&loc=recent&lnk=3&con=us-may-soon-require-cars-be-able-to-talk-to-each-other
And, of course, if this data is used by cities, it could have some rather interesting results regarding intelligent routing.

Self driving cars are going to change the world.  I can see things going to a model where hardly anybody owns cars, and everybody just rents/signs a monthly contract to get driven where ever they like.

That long-promised $1000 full genome sequencing technology is here: http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/01/the-1000-genome-could-be-yours-if-you-spend-10-million-on-equipment/

We have the previous version of this machine where I work(I think the new machine is just the same one but with a sticker on it saying its been validated for clinical use).  :)  Its pretty cool.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:15:07 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 16, 2014, 12:42:39 pm »

Part of me will miss whimsical car trips where I deliberately take inefficient paths for fun. Fortunately, we're a long way off from having the reliability necessary to exceed even human safety rates, so I feel like I've got a while for that. I mean, the wireless interference issues alone are tricky.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 16, 2014, 12:51:20 pm »

I'm sure there'll still be manual overrides. Offroading and other recreational driving make up a significant part of the automotive market, after all.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 16, 2014, 05:45:57 pm »

I've never heard of self driving cars being unsafe. Quite the opposite.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 16, 2014, 06:59:39 pm »

Because they are not widespread yet. And also hackers that could potentially do everything in the road are not nice.
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 16, 2014, 07:13:38 pm »

There will have to be some *VERY* aggressive security and digital signature enforcement for autodriving cars using GPS and short distance vehicle-vehicle data transmissions, before I would even THINK of entering one.

A malicious map update with a Man-in-the-middle scenario can easily make a car think the fastest route is through the lake, of off that unfinished bypass.

Vehicle-vehicle communication intended to keep cars from hitting each other can be abused by hackers compromising the car's computer control system, so that they can force people to brake for them when the douchebag in traffic, or even initiate an accident from the roadside with false messages causing cars to suddenly stop to avoid a car that isn't really there.

All kinds of things.

The potential for abuse in an AI driven vehicle is astounding.

You of course, will also have the black market modification scene, for people that just can't feel alive without doing 50mph over the posted speed limit, but don't want their insurance company to know, and or-- want all those dumb robot cars to get out of the way for them. (Fake having a police of emergency vehicle identification signal so people pull over, et al.)

Without some really crazy strong and properly implemented security on the computer to prevent tampering and unsigned data from being used, automatically driving cars are a blackhat's wet dream, and a very lovely means of performing a political assasination.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 46