Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46

Author Topic: Transhumanism Discussion Thread  (Read 53667 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Transhumanism Discussion Thread
« Reply #330 on: January 09, 2014, 10:20:16 am »

No, but we're talking hypothetical here. Would you, or would you not, consider yourself the same person after going through such a process*?
Seen externally, yes. From my own point of view, no.

*Assuming "such a process" means instant-switch brain upload or star-trek style transporter.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 09, 2014, 10:27:43 am »

What about quantum teleportation? You are entangled with a Descan-shaped and sized analogue (forget about the technical limitations of this), and then, at a later point the Universe yells "SWITCH PLACES!" and you do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2014, 10:36:20 am »

So you'd consider yourself someone else, despite being identical in ever single aspect save position, having all your personality traits and memories?

I officially name your school of though the "Ten-Thousand Kirk" school of philosophy.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2014, 10:49:09 am »

If someone made a perfect copy of me, without bothering to remove the memories of doing so from the "clone", the end result would be two people attempting to cause violence towards him, not one. And anyway, why should I get angry at a different person just for being completely similar to me? After all, the duplicate will start developing it's own unique memories, meaning that it's not the same person as I am almost immediately. From my point of view, having a duplicate would be very useful; someone willing to help you with a similar point of view always is.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2014, 10:57:12 am »

if you cloned someone who hated themselves, would they hate the clone also?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 09, 2014, 11:04:52 am »

So you'd consider yourself someone else, despite being identical in ever single aspect save position, having all your personality traits and memories?

I officially name your school of though the "Ten-Thousand Kirk" school of philosophy.
Well if I was dead, in the "taken apart and re-constituted in another location" kind of transporter, then my pov doesn't matter for anyone but me. To everyone else, I would be the same person and they'd be able to interact with the transport-clone as much as they would with me. In that sense, if I knew what the transporter was, I wouldn't go into it.

But if I wasn't dead, in the "We scan your body and make a new one in the new location, and your body doesn't need to be destroyed" sense, then I would be the original and the new copy would be an identical-but-seperate person. I wouldn't suddenly start seeing things through their eyes or having twice the brain-power.

In either case, from my point of view, I am still ME and the copy is someone else, either because I still exist or because I am dead.

From the copys point of view, it would be happy to be alive and would probably not care that it was a copy. How it would see itself and whether it would consider the me-before-transport to be to it's own perspective, I don't know. I would have to get into that situation to be sure.

All I'm mainly saying is that, the me-before-copying would not instigate the copy/transport/upload, because I would view it as a form of death of my "I", and would rather just walk or do a slow-transition. After-the-fact, I would not care, because I'd either be alive and have a clone, I'd be dead, or I'd be a copy. But I, as in right now, would not want to do it.

What about quantum teleportation? You are entangled with a Descan-shaped and sized analogue (forget about the technical limitations of this), and then, at a later point the Universe yells "SWITCH PLACES!" and you do.
AFAIK quantum teleportation isn't a thing, and entanglement is more information-transfer. So it wouldn't be so much as "SWITCH PLACES" as it is "JIGGLE IN THE SAME FORMATION DESPITE THAT BEING VERY VERY UNLIKELY!"

Plus I'm pretty sure it's physically impossible for a particle that's part of a larger system (I.E. one of my atoms) to be entangled. You need to seperate and isolate them a LOT, like "in a near-perfect vacuum without any energy emissions touching it" isolated.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:08:10 am by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 09, 2014, 11:08:51 am »

I feel that if I were in a freak cloning accident or some such, and happened to have a perfect clone whom neither of us knew was which, it would be an incredibly tense moment for me.
I honestly can't say that I wouldn't kill myself if there was any threat to my identity and/or the "Kill him before he kills you" debate.

But it's a lot more hopeful that we'd sit down and have an incredibly long talk about exactly how we're supposed to live from now on.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 09, 2014, 11:13:44 am »

AFAIK quantum teleportation isn't a thing, and entanglement is more information-transfer. So it wouldn't be so much as "SWITCH PLACES" as it is "JIGGLE IN THE SAME FORMATION DESPITE THAT BEING VERY VERY UNLIKELY!"
You are the weakest link, goodbye. Anyway, it's technically both information transfer and teleportation, because fuck, quantum physics are the most screwed up things. It is literally on the verge of being magic. People sometimes wonder: "What would things be like if the laws of physics were different?" That's a stupid question, because we already know. Quantum physics are that. It's alien and screwed-up and reality makes no god damn sense.
Plus I'm pretty sure it's physically impossible for a particle that's part of a larger system (I.E. one of my atoms) to be entangled. You need to seperate and isolate them a LOT, like "in a near-perfect vacuum without any energy emissions touching it" isolated.
WHAT PART OF "FORGET ABOUT THE TECHNICAL LIMITATIONS OF THIS" DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?!

Anyway, if I had a perfect copy, it'd be great once we figured out who was MSH-Alpha and who was MSH-Beta. (Answer: I am MSH-Alpha.) Double actions? Yes, I think so.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:15:19 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 09, 2014, 11:25:17 am »

This sounds sort of like that question I hear a lot: "If you slowly replaced parts of your brain with the same parts of someone else's brain, when is it not your brain anymore?"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 09, 2014, 11:43:15 am »

Depend how you define the self. For example, let's take the case of Phineas Gage. Basically, he lost part of his brain, and after the accident had a complete change of personality. To me he was simply not the same man afterward.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 09, 2014, 11:43:57 am »

Depending on how slowly and how your brain interacts with theirs, as well as how our brains work and which parts. Since I'm pretty sure you would form new memories and connections during a "slow" transition, including connections across from the old brain to the new parts, the END result would be neither person but a new one, weighted towards the "someone else's" brain since they're the one that's being used as the end-result substrate.

Not to mention that the connections from the brain to the new part would be inexact so who knows how that would come out, and if identity is centered in one part of the brain or mostly in one part, then that would mean that as soon as that part has been switched out, the identity has been switched out.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 09, 2014, 11:46:08 am »

Keep in mind that your brain has multiple layers of redundancy. Technically speaking, you can lose more than half of it and still be a functioning human being. That exact scenario is unlikely as to be impossible, but it's not actually impossible.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 09, 2014, 11:52:43 am »

Well, have you ever heard of hemispherectomy?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 09, 2014, 12:00:21 pm »

You are the weakest link, goodbye. Anyway, it's technically both information transfer and teleportation, because fuck, quantum physics are the most screwed up things. It is literally on the verge of being magic. People sometimes wonder: "What would things be like if the laws of physics were different?" That's a stupid question, because we already know. Quantum physics are that. It's alien and screwed-up and reality makes no god damn sense.
Isn't one way to interpret quantum physics that distance-separated completely entangled particles are at the same place1, but just interact with two different surroundings at once?

1: Or are the same particle at two spaces at once.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 09, 2014, 12:04:11 pm »

Well, supposedly it's a valid theory that there is only a single electron in the entire universe, and that it's everywhere at once.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46