Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46

Author Topic: Transhumanism Discussion Thread  (Read 53748 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Transhumanism Discussion Thread
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2013, 09:15:02 pm »

Yeah, that seems the most likely candidate.

Now, back on the main thread topic: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/11/as-deadline-for-drone-rules-nears-faa-issues-roadmap-for-inclusion-in-the-skies/
Drones. So, as is quite clear at this point, drones will feature heavily in our futures. Flying robots, large or small, and currently with very little regulatory decision-making. That needs to change quite soon, as everything from drone delivery services to hobbyist photography drones are becoming quite cheap and commonplace. Like 3d printers, they're currently pretty first-gen, hobbyist devices, but as their control software and hardware gets increasingly better, it will be interesting to see where they go.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2013, 09:22:00 pm »

It's just something I've always wondered about, and the only people who show up in google search with an explanation are mystic believers. I just can't find any mention of it in the usual science places.

If I had to guess, I'd go with eyebrow hairs.
I'm reminded of a different pencil trick.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2013, 09:22:20 pm »

Nope. Not gonna try that one.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2013, 09:40:18 pm »

@LB: That's... a load of bullshit.
No. There is no light that penetrates through several inches of skin, skull, and brain matter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22296809

"in mammals, light penetrates the skull bone and reaches the brain"

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/237174.php

"The light-sensitive cells in question are found in the hypothalamus, an area at the base of the brain "

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2013, 10:14:59 pm »

I did some more testing, and it's tiny hairs that feel it. After trying it in darkness, I felt hair before it started tingling.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2013, 10:27:55 pm »

And that folks, is why you should always shave between your eyebrows!

Back on topic, with current technology how feasible would it be to make an implantable devices that uses small lights as indicators, similar to the one discussed before that checked when you were getting a fever, that worked for blood sugar? I imagine the gap here is that unlike heat, blood sugar requires a metallic surface to actually be in contact with the blood stream, and that could be a problem... Still, if feasible it could possibly improve the qualify of life for people living with diabetes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2013, 10:31:18 pm »

One of the ideas I've heard is a tattoo that will change color in response to blood sugar levels.

Also, nanoink tattoos in general, which are long lasting but not permanent, and theoretically can be altered after injection.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2013, 10:32:01 pm »

And that folks, is why you should always shave between your eyebrows!

Back on topic, with current technology how feasible would it be to make an implantable devices that uses small lights as indicators, similar to the one discussed before that checked when you were getting a fever, that worked for blood sugar? I imagine the gap here is that unlike heat, blood sugar requires a metallic surface to actually be in contact with the blood stream, and that could be a problem... Still, if feasible it could possibly improve the qualify of life for people living with diabetes.

Entirely feasible. Just put the reactive strips in the body.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2013, 10:33:56 pm »

One of the ideas I've heard is a tattoo that will change color in response to blood sugar levels.

Also, nanoink tattoos in general, which are long lasting but not permanent, and theoretically can be altered after injection.
Oh great, I have one good idea and they are already working on something significantly cooler. Well damn.  :P

How about a fucking death beam? Do they have those in tattoo form yet?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2013, 10:38:00 pm »

Oh great, I have one good idea and they are already working on something significantly cooler. Well damn.  :P

First google image search.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2013, 10:45:06 pm »

Spoiler: deraillystuff (click to show/hide)

And back on topic: http://mashable.com/2013/11/05/biohacker-sensor/
That is what not to do, and is a pretty good example of why most implantable tech is silly for the time being. Short version, dude implanted a large sensor device capable of recording various biometric data and sending it out to an android device. But the thing is, I doubt it's actually getting more data than one would get from an external sensor. Beyond that, it's large size will probably result in all manner of medical problems. Though it does make one hell of a conversation piece.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:48:25 pm by alway »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2013, 10:45:35 pm »

First google image search.

Atom Heart Mother 40th Anniversary Remaster :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2013, 10:49:04 pm »

And back on topic: http://mashable.com/2013/11/05/biohacker-sensor/
Yea that is the thingy! Make one of them for blood sugar!

Or get a rad tattoo, what ever is less socially acceptable at the time.
From what I can gather from that guy he has a bit of a martyr complex, doing something he knows is pretty silly for the sake of proving a concept that can be improved upon.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2013, 11:13:46 pm »

If you can't see your brain from the outside, you can't see the outside from your brain.
I can't even believe I'm having to debate this shit.

I'm not sure why you feel the need either. You're obviously capable of doing your own google searches. Starting to suspect that you don't understand that light is electromagnetic radiation.

The visible portion, is only a very small range. The human body is transparant at many frequencies. You know how you can listen to the radio inside your house? That's because radio waves pass through the walls of your house. They pass through your body just as easily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2013, 11:15:22 pm »

And do you have anything at all to demonstrate that the pseudo-photoreceptive cells on the pineal gland are receptive to anything outside the visible spectrum?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46