Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46

Author Topic: Transhumanism Discussion Thread  (Read 53709 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transhumanism Discussion Thread
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2013, 09:18:30 pm »

Of course, there's also been various distributed computing science projects that anybody could donate cpu power to over the internet for years already.
Yup! I've been running BOINC for years now; SETI@home and a couple others. Though I imagine just renting Amazon's hardware for a while would be much less of a logistical headache for shorter-term projects. But the structure is there already, like a loving, benevolent botnet.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2013, 09:20:40 pm »

So, to relate to the topic at hand... How long before I can rent out peoples intelligence to enhance my own for a given time?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2013, 09:24:39 pm »

... just as soon as you incorporate and get up enough money to pay people to work for you, and enough money to pay the lawyers that make sure the entirety of those people's creative works are legally yours.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2013, 09:28:32 pm »

You know I think I just thought of the script for a new Neill Blomkamp movie...

In a future where the rich have unparalleled access to the worlds greatest intellects, and the poor aren't given the chance to think for themselves.

Seriously, renting minds is the best pretentious social commentary thingy yet!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2013, 09:31:46 pm »

Let me guess: It ends when Matt Damon leads the poor on a righteous quest to eat all the rich people's brains.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2013, 09:42:11 pm »

You know I think I just thought of the script for a new Neill Blomkamp movie...

In a future where the rich have unparalleled access to the worlds greatest intellects, and the poor aren't given the chance to think for themselves.
Seriously, renting minds is the best pretentious social commentary thingy yet!
It seems like it would fall hugely flat logically, as the point of these things tends to be "We are all equal", when in that situation the rich would be leagues above any protagonist, and presumably the viewer, so either the movie would have to portray them as prone to ridiculous mistakes (which would be easily avoidable to an actual person of massive wealth and intelligence) or make the protagonist a rogue one of these (which still has the problem that these people should be so far above us in intelligence as to be wholly inscrutable), or perhaps getting help from one of these ultra-rich people (which defeats the purpose).

I mean, these would be unethical people of massive wealth and unparalleled intellect. They'd steamroll anyone who could even consider stopping them. Given that they could augment themselves in other ways, these would be humans-as-gods powered by a permanently enslaved forsaken underclass (whom they could simply reduce to brains in jars), as robots do what the poor once did.  That would be an interesting book or movie, but it'd be pretty bleak.

Or it could be brain-eating, whatever.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2013, 10:16:02 pm »

Why not just use electronic hardware?

I wouldn't mind a wireless adapter linking me up to a few gigaflops of extra storage.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2013, 10:18:33 pm »

Why not just use electronic hardware?

I wouldn't mind a wireless adapter linking me up to a few gigaflops of extra storage.
And you aren't the first.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2013, 10:43:41 pm »

your brain isn't actually equip to see UV at all really, just the white distortion of all the other colors
from UV radiation. It thinks it is looking at white!

I suspect this might be a failure on the part of language to describe what these people are experiencing, rather than a failure of the brain to process the information. We have a word for white, blue, etc. and we all know the experience that is associated with those colors. We don't really have a word for the color that is UV and a conveniently agreed upon experience for it.

Even if the brain is processing a unique experience for the input of UV, it would be difficult to communicate that to someone who hadn't experienced it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 24, 2013, 10:56:32 pm »

Sure we have a word for it: ultraviolet.

I haven't heard of the people describing it as "well, this doesn't really fit, but white-blue-white-violet". It's just "white-blue-white-violet".
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2013, 11:10:16 pm »

Sure we have a word for it: ultraviolet.

Ok, but what colors is ultraviolet? Describe it to me, please. And if you saw it...would you know it was ultraviolet unless someone told you? Also keep in mind that we have one word "ulraviolet" for a frequency range, but the experience that is that range might not be singular. For example, if you look at "red" on a light chart, you'll see several different shades that could reasonably be described as red, and it's a more or less smooth transition that's difficult to say here is where it's "red" and here is where it's "magenta." UV is probably similar.

I haven't heard of the people describing it as "well, this doesn't really fit, but
white-blue-white-violet". It's just "white-blue-white-violet".

And I haven't heard anyone try to describe it at all. But if they were to try...I can see how it might be difficult.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2013, 11:15:49 pm »

You would recognize it as something new though. While it would be impossible to actually describe, it would be easy to give the description of "impossible to describe".

I get it, you really want to be able to see a new color that easily, but wishful thinking doesn't make it true.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2013, 11:23:36 pm »

It came up earlier in the thread that the brain adapts to new inputs very easily. I see no reason to suspect it wouldn't be true in this case.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2013, 11:33:00 pm »

That's not the problem. The problem is that we have trichromatic vision. Even if the brain does possess the level of neuroplasticity necessary (and that's not a certainty), you at least need to augment human vision to be tetrachromatic (technically we are, but that's just from rods and cones coexisting in a very small window of light conditions). Fortunately, tetrachromatic vision has been documented as an existent mutation, so this is a lot less difficult than most projects of this sort.

No, the difficulty is finding a rare true tetrachromatic human and convince her (odds are high that it's a her) to have her eye lens removed in the name of science.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46