Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death: The RP Thread  (Read 7931 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death: The RP Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2013, 10:37:11 pm »

As the party paddled up river, Rohan hums a small and simple prayer to pass the time:

"Oh Creator, guide our path,
let our knowledge expand,
as your light shines on our path,
and protects us from darkness.

Mighty Annam, give us your blessing,
guard us in our hour of need,
and let your divine guidance,
assure us of our path.

Praise be to your name."

He looks at the others in the boat and smiles.

"Not exactly my best one, given that I just made it up right now, but I think it does the job."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2013, 11:47:29 pm »

Eli didn't know what to make of the display, but it hurt his heart to see someone in such pain.

"...we should. But, let me look at your hand first. Are you hurt?" He kindly spoke.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 10:46:19 am »

Ashii shook her head.
"It is a scratch, nothing more. It will halt bleeding in a second."
She started to push her way through the foliage towards the others, but paused.
"I am sorry, but there are some things I cannot speak of. Not yet. I... enjoyed our conversation. Let us talk some other time."

She brushed aside some ferns and disappeared through the undergrowth.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 10:55:26 am »

Dear Diary

It has felt like forever since I last wrote in you and you’re almost completely fallen apart now but considering recent events I feel like now is a good time to resume my entries.

I have joined up with a party of adventurers heading up river, it wouldn’t have been my first option but simply questioning around the town revealed that it would be suicidal to head up there alone. Overall most of them seem like good people but I would be foolish to trust my first impression of them, I have been literally burned because of that before. I have no doubt that at least one in this party plans to betray the others, it is the way of the world after all. I will have to keep an eye on everyone and get ready to leave at the first sign of one of them attempting betrayal, it will probably not happen until after we get rewarded for the mission but I will keep my guard up all the same.

There is one other thing that troubles me though, despite all of the training my master put me through my fear of fire still persists. I thought that this accursed phobia had left me but after what happened today it is clear that this is not the case. I can only imagine that my master would be laughing at me now if he saw me, he always did seem to find my fear illogical. He always told me that the elements were just servants to the Wu-Jen and being afraid of something you control it is ridiculous. It never helped though, if anything his words just made me feel more ashamed of my weakness. One thing I know for sure however is that I cannot let anyone else in this party find out about this fear of mine, they will use it against me if they discover it  and see me as weak and in this world the appearance of weakness is something I cannot show. It will just make them even more likely to betray me if they see me that way.  If I don’t cleanse myself of this fear they will find out however, so that means I need to rid myself of it before we face flames again.

I will attempt to do the training that my master always gave me tonight, even though it’s never worked before I don’t exactly have any other options. I hope that this time it does work otherwise things won’t end well for me in this group.

-Ashura
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 02:48:48 pm »

Eli didn't fully understand, but he followed her all the same without complaint.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2013, 03:44:40 am »

And later, at the tree camp...

It's amazing what one can do with a few wooden poles and a canvas tarp-Eli has constructed a sturdy little living area around the base of the tree, with a tough leather awning that goes all the way around and hangs down. Inside, smaller pieces of thick cloth provide bedding and walls for privacy, which can be pushed aside if needed. Some rudimentary natural features have been added for reinforcement and camouflage, in the form of the large leaves from above-overlayed on the awning for protection, providing a firm roof against rain, wind and bird dropping. Eli has already made a knotted rope and small wooden platform in the highest branches of the tree, allowing anyone on lookout to get a sky-eye view of the entire camp, while being difficult to see themselves.

Spreading outward, there is a deep cooking pit lined with stones away from the leaf litter-dug for a fire and laid with dry wood and tinder, ready for a spark. A metal pot and stand are already assembled. And outward from that, stakes have been pounded into the ground at methodical intervals-a stringy rope has been tied between the stakes, forming a ring around the camp-and on the rope, one can see small bells hanging. A simple alarm system.

To Eli's credit (even if no one really notices but himself and perhaps Ashii) he's taken efforts to not upset the nest of a single bird, or displace the burrow of a single animal.

Later, he'll remark to Steffan, when his friend has a chance to see the place.

"All the comforts of home, huh? I admit, I'm a bit impressed with myself. I've never made a camp for such a large group before." He says, almost bashfully.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:52:57 am by Dwarmin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 04:02:41 pm »

Eli and Bethany's hunting trip...

Spotting a series of small yet sturdy looking rocks that she could step between without having to risk disturbing the soil and incurring her own wrath, Bethany allows herself to participate in the discussion as it grows more philosophical. "It is clear we were trained to hunt different prey Eli. I suspect you know best when it comes to animals, and will defer to you, but I've been trained to work in a fashion nearly opposite to your own. I aim to make my presence felt among my foes, to make them afraid or at least nervous even when I am not right before your eyes. I have heard a cornered and frightened animal becomes more dangerous, but a cornered and frightened being usually just starts making mistakes. When the time comes to cross swords with evil, I seek to make them suffer for their sins rather than allow them a quick death, in fact I prefer to take them alive. A living criminal may be able to find redemption someday, or at the very least snitch on his friends and be executed publicly to show the common folk exactly what the wages of sin are."

Eli notes the tone change-she's paying more attention to her surroundings, he thinks. Even if she doesn't take it to heart, it certainly can't hurt.

"Well, I've hunted men before-women too, I'm certainly not picky when it comes to criminals. I don't consider myself dispensing justice however, even if I'm being paid to do so-I'm just a man doing a job. I'm a hunter, and they are my prey....I admit I'm not nearly wise enough to know the line between making one justly suffer for his sins, and causing pain for your own enjoyment-a dangerous edge, I believe, that all who pursue true justice as yourself must walk. You could also say I do not have enough faith in the law to be utterly arbitrary.

I will give you an example, and allow you to judge it as you will.

This was nearly four years ago-I was not yet 20, and had only just then begun my life as a hunter. Up till then I had been something of a courier-delivering things quickly and quietly, often through dangerous lands. It was a natural promotion.

In this time, I was given a job by a wealthy landowner-a very well paying job, I might add. He tasked me to hunt and kill the poachers on his land-they were taking his deer and boar, you see. Now, by the laws of the land he was entirely entitled to pass such a punishment-by dint of his position and their oldest traditions. Of course, most of the time it's Kobolds, Ogres, and Hobgoblins or Bandits coming down from the mountains-beastly creatures that will be as like to slay a man as livestock or game. I would have slain them gladly...but, when I tracked the interlopers-it was quite difficult, for my skills were developing slowly-I found not beasts, but two young boys. It was easy to capture them, for they were mere children. They dropped their weapons when they saw me, afraid I was some sort of giant blue-skinned demon. I bound them and questioned them. They were merely trying to gather food, for their parents had died recently, their house taken by the local lord for back taxes-and no one would take them in. I was able to confirm they were telling the truth.

And, there was my dilemma. The law demanded their deaths, with no arbitration-by my own hand, was the contract. But the law was wrong in this case. But, it was still the law. And there was no stipulation for mercy.

What would you have done in my position, My Lady?

If the question gives you a moments pause, as it should anyone of sound mind, you will understand why I leave matters of the wicked and righteous to those wiser than myself-such as Paladins, like yourself.

But rest assured, I availed myself of those lands as soon as I could-without pay."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2013, 06:06:14 pm »

Bethany falls silent in consideration. "To answer your question, If I were in your shoes I would like to think I would ere on the side of mercy, but I wasn't there, so I can't say for sure. The thing you have to understand about justice though is that the people who carry it out are humans, elves, orcs, and whatnot. Mortal and fallible creatures. We have to seek perfection in ourselves and those close to us, but accept that unless the angels and archons want to come down and run things themselves we will always be living in a flawed society run by flawed people and their flawed justice. Law is a perfect gift from one or more higher powers, but the people who execute and interpret it are not.

That said I wouldn't have found myself in that situation to begin with. A lord doesn't just tell a Paladin to kill somebody, a lord tells a Paladin to see justice is served. I would have taken offense to that contract unless proof that the lord had already investigated the situation and an explanation of his verdict came with it."

The paladin scrunches up her face as she attempts to put what she wishes to say next into words without offending her guide. "Also, as you said, you are a hunter. When you go after somebody you are doing your job, not dispensing justice. The interpretation of justice is the responsibility of nobles, clerics, paladins, and bureaucrats. People who are trained in such matters. It was the lord's responsibility to investigate the case, and to see that justice was served in a fair manner. He decided that the poachers needed to die without doing any investigating, and hired you to carry out the sentence. He didn't check to see that you understood the laws and scriptures, and he didn't send somebody educated with you. You accepted the contract in good faith and with a clean conscience, were put in that situation because he failed in his responsibility. If whatever you choose to do in that sticky spot was unjust or sinful, it is his fault for sending you the way he did, and not yours for having to make a choice that you were ill-equipped to make."

Bethany lets the silence simmer for a second before breaking out a rare smile; They were in the woods, and nobody else would see it. "The world would be a much better place if all trackers were trained in the law and all law men were trained to be trackers... That or if more lords and ladies understood that there power over people comes with responsibility towards people. But we'd have better luck wishing for the sun to rise in the west. Perhaps someday we can go after some scumbags together. You find em, I'll judge em, and we can both fight em if need be."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2013, 06:36:41 pm »

"I like the sound of that. A partnership...would that I already had a partner, I would accept on the spot...well, once we were out of the jungle, at least. I'm sure Steffan will be amenable, however. After this journey, I think we will be able to judge who among this presently informal group will be best suited to future endeavors together...

Tell me, my Lady, what are your plans for when we return to near-civilization? I personally have given some thought to forming a guild of a sorts...an adventurers guild. Or maybe it's just a club. Pooling our talents and resources-earning a name for ourselves in this untested land-and demanding better pay, of course. But, I...have not broached this subject with anyone else. Not even Steffan. And it's apt to be a small guild in deed, if it's only in my imagination.

But, I feel the need to make something here-something of permanence. This land can be a place people call home one day, I hope...maybe I'll call it home myself, who can say? We're the ones who have to make it safe for those that come after...shouldn't we work together for that goal..."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 06:56:15 pm »

Bethany pauses briefly, and looks up towards the canopy. "The gnome who runs the navigator's guild seems like a nice enough fellow, and I suspect he will have more work for me if we can find his missing adventurers. He seemed impressed with me, and two of his relatives are among the missing, so the successful completion of this task will easily earn his favor. I suppose I'll hang around town making friends in the right places until he finds me something else to do."

She nods in agreement when Eli mentions settlement and development. "I was thinking that myself. The circumstances of my birth make me a rather undesirable prospect for holding high office or marrying another highborn, so unless I do something crazy like slay a dragon highhandedly to prove my worth beyond any doubt, my fortune lies here as opposed to back in the old lands. I was thinking of hiring some people to clear some land on the riverbank once I had the money to do so. I hadn't gotten so far as deciding exactly what I wanted to build. I would be glad to work with you on some project or another, but I suspect I'll become fast friends with that gnome, and wouldn't want to step on his toes by opening an 'adventurers guild'"

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:58:27 pm by Weirdsound »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 07:12:47 pm »

"From what we've seen so far, the navigators could certainly use better protection for their navigating, and it wouldn't necessarily be competing goals...but, I will keep that in mind. Perhaps we'll end up joining them instead."

Eli thinks a moment, responding to something she said.

"...you speak of the circumstances of your birth. I shall pry no more upon that subject unless you tell it on your own-it is painful enough for myself to do so-but, is that what drove you to these lands in some sort of ill-favor? Or maybe you on a sort of pilgrimage, taken vows? You told me come from a large noble family whom you missed, I recall-I had half expected your royal retinue to have followed us into the jungle when I first learned you would be accompanying us. Yet, you bear yourself as a Noblewoman and a warrior all the same, even without the advantages one would expect..."
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:17:15 pm by Dwarmin »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 07:45:58 pm »

Bethany shrugs. "I am the least significant daughter of one of the least significant adult men of the family. I could have came with more if I had wanted to, but I have to be strong and refuse to allow my father to spoil me. He wears his feelings on his sleeves, and his public fondness for my cause does him no favors at court.

As glad as I am that we won the war, it is rather a bad thing for me that it happened so soon. When I was growing up, my father was positive that I would be able to earn a grand reputation as a brave Paladin in the war, but it ended three weeks after my anointment. If I were to stay in the old world, I would likely have to live out my life as some boring mid-level bureaucrat married to some other highborn castoff, likely one touched in the head through in-breeding or rendered a shell of their former self through injury or experience in the war. I'm here because I owe it to myself, my father, and my ancestors to achieve a better fate than that."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 08:05:44 pm »

"A worthy cause, certainly. I hope you one day find the fate you wish, for so few ever do." He says quietly.

He grows somber as talk shifts to the war.

"...As for the war, you were fortunate to have missed it, I say. I saw many who sought that glory ruthlessly cut down-no matter how good they were. In heaps and middens they fell-sometimes only to buy the lives of those behind them. I only survived more by fortune, than skill.

Perhaps the Gods spared you the worst of the conflict for a reason."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 09:12:47 pm »

Bethany closes her eyes briefly and shakes her head. "Every mortal gets to die at least once. How many years precede one's death is far less important than what that death accomplished. Or so they teach paladins.

My eldest brother Hans died fending off the enemies' final attempted offensive. If the war could take him, it could take anyone. I know nobody is safe from death or maiming in war, but if I were discouraged by that nasty little fact, I'd be a pretty lousy paladin.

...That said, I wouldn't be surprised if you are right. There could be a reason for me not serving in war. There are so few paladins, or educated people in general, in this new world. The gods could have the fulfillment of that niche in mind for me."

The rocks she had been walking on run out, and Bethany once again finds herself trying and failing to match her companion in leaving no trail. Biting her tongue, Bethany fights off the urge to begin verbaly chastising herself for the failure, as it would be rude to do so in the middle of conversation.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 03:55:44 am by Weirdsound »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 03:34:07 am »

"For whatever reason the Gods spared you, I for one am thankful. It is rare to meet such pleasant company as yourself, My Lady. We lost so much in the war, well...there were times I thought even if we won, there would be no beauty left in the world." He remarks-coming as close as he dare to complimenting her, as he suspects she is not a woman to appreciate appeals to vanity.

After some talking and searching-without much luck-Eli turned around. The forest was rapidly losing light-even Eli couldn't see in the dark. But fortune had not entirely against them...

The pair finds a meaty looking bird, about the size of a large chicken, roosting in a tree-it had bright, colorful plumage in deep red and gold-and a hooked beak. Eli has never actually seen one of these in the wild before, though he knows they are quite edible. It doesn't seem to notice either of them-even Bethany's step is quiet enough to fool it.

Eli is about to shoot, but he pauses and nods to Bethany-indicating she can try the shot if she wishes.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 05:22:29 am by Dwarmin »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5