Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death: The RP Thread  (Read 7933 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death: The RP Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 04:46:54 pm »

Steffan couldn't help but flash his biggest smile.

"Oh, come on Eli! That's why we always make sure to carry daggers in the wilderness, right? Cut our way out of ferocious beasts before their gutjuices get to work on us? And, you know, they do have really big birds in the south..."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 04:50:53 pm »

"I've seen plenty of birds, some big, none big enough to swallow six people at once."

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 05:05:27 pm »

"No... Me neither, I admit. Well, except that time... no, anyway... I might've, you know, misremembered, or something. I'm fairly sure that the general artistic gist of the story and, importantly, its moral is mostly kind of true though... I think the giant bird might be a metaphor, a representation of our fear of confronting the emptiness of... you know, a world without, uh, something..."

Steffan trailed off, slightly more inebriated, or tired, than he had noticed, before coming round to his favourite changing-the-subject story.

"Say, did I ever tell you the one about the two old wizards on a park bench? Well, it's getting late, so maybe tomorrow, eh?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 05:18:44 pm »

"I'm sure you tried to tell me once or twice...though I don't recall any specifics.

Anyway, see you in the morning. Remember to put the netting up on the window like I showed you-there are mosquitos here the size of chickens. Very large chickens."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 05:24:23 pm »

"Must be related to yon giant birds then, eh? Sleep well, Eli."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 11:40:48 am »

While Eli and Ashii are searching for a campsite

Eli was normally content with silence, when it was himself. But he felt uncomfortable here...he looked over the druid, Ashii-Karn. She had said barely a word for the entire trip. It reminded Eli of how he had been before he met Steffan...reserved. Cut off. And he was still like that, more or less. He felt the need to speak up.

"...Does this little fellow have a name?" Eli said, motioning to the little Badger, which was snuffing around Ashi's feet for forage.

"I mean, I know some Druids name their companions-others let the animal choose their own names, but then it's only spoken in Druidic, I believe-a language not for my ears. I would understand." He said, hand idly scratching his scar.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 12:02:51 pm »

Ashii knelt down and ran a hand down the badger's head, rubbing between the short ears. it snuffled against her hand.
"His name is Brocktree. I would tell you why, but I don't recall the origin of his name. "

She stood and looked around.

"The forest here... it is so different. There's no crispness to the air. No coldness. Everything is warm and wet and green. There is no aurora dancing in the sky, just stars. It is strange."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 12:36:45 pm »

Eli nods. This is at least a discussion he can feel comfortable with. Maybe her too. He pauses to inspect a nearby trunks scratch marks. Whatever it was, it was big. They seem a few months old, however. Moved on, helpfully.

"I feel the same...I hail from lands that are, for the most part, tamed. Though my friend Steffan would no doubt disagree on that term.

This place...it feels hungry, not tame. There's no softness of civilization here, to round it out. No paths in the dirt but what I can see. This place doesn't like us, I can feel that too. There's a part of me that doesn't belong here. A part of me that's not yet worthy..."
He said, almost to himself.

He turned back to the Druid.

"You speak of an Aurora in the sky-from your homeland? Are you from the Northlands? Maybe the Frostward Baronies?

I've heard the lands of ice have living fire dancing in the sky, though I've never known if it was true...forgive me if I pry. I have always dreamed of other lands-it's a topic that intrigues me."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2013, 02:26:45 pm »

"It was far from here, yes. North certainly. We who lived there called it the icelands, so I do not know your names for it. There was little there but snow and pine forests. The people lived on what they hunted. They had - they have - a saying. "Fire burns when the forest permits". Without the forests, we would all die. Here... there is nothing but forest.

The Aurora - yes. The celestial river, eternally flowing, a green steam of fire. It is beautiful. She-
" Ashii stopped and looked away. She was silent for a second, then continued like nothing happened. "It is beautiful. I wonder why there is no aurora here. Maybe the gods are too far away, or it has poured from the sky and taken root here as the forest."

Something rustled through the undergrowth. Ashii watched carefully, but the rustling was moving away, and soon faded. "Just something small. The world is merciless, even here, but in different ways, it seems. You call your land tame. How sad, for nature to be so distant and faded."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 03:07:09 pm »

"Civilization tends to come at the expense of the world around it-Order gives way to chaos...or the other way around...I've seen it first hand, both worlds-good and bad. I try to tell people that we should look for balance. But few listen. Even the Elves seem unreasonable, these days. After what happened in the war, I suppose no one can blame them...

But, you speak of home with such beauty..."
He spoke reverently. Even Steffan has not spoke so to his memory-the lands only Eli knew in the same way, he could not put into the proper words.

Eli was about to ask what drove her from her ancestral lands to these jungles, but even his lack of experience in human interaction suggested she was avoiding it on purpose.

"...Perhaps one day I shall go there myself. Life is nothing but a series of adventures, right?"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 04:24:20 pm »

"I suppose so, yes." She reached out and touched a thousand year old trunk, feeling the bark beneath the calloused skin of her fingertips. "Nothing lasts forever, neither life nor love nor gods' mercies." Speaking absently, she knelt down to inspect a pitcher plant, curiously looking at the strange growth. Her mind was active once again; the new sights and sounds, now the fog had cleared from her eyes, fascinating to behold. A centipede skittered through the leaf detris, and she carefully shifted to the side.

"Order can be imposed on chaos, but in the end it returns to chaos. Chaos permits no order but that which it creates itself. As something not entirely human, you must have experienced a turbulent life within the order humankind imposes."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2013, 04:34:50 pm »

Steffan's journal entry - near-illegible notes in a private shorthand annotate and follow the sketch of a tiny monkey, and of certain of the tiny monkey's interior organs.

Not half a day's journey by river from Rivertown, we were attacked by a band of the same animals as the specimen represented, albeit crudely, here. Attacked by monkeys, you say? Aye, not a great deal out of the ordinary in that, as I can personally attest. But these monkeys were armed!

They first fired upon us with bows as we floated upriver, disturbing my attempts to sketch one of the more interesting trees of the region. My instinct was to ignore the pests, until one of them seemed to breath a vast cone of fire upon us, whereupon I thought better of sketching...

Though clearly blessed with some form of intelligence greater than the average small monkey, it will be noted from the sketches contained herein that they, in all aspects, resemble completely as to any other small monkey species encountered and recorded heretofore.

Speculation amongst the travelling group suggests that they may not be all they seem: small monkeys tend not to attack; small monkeys also tend not to fire bows or breath fire. Having dissected a sample fortunately found without too much damage (for we were rather zealous in defending ourselves once the firebreath was revealed), I am entirely certain that the details of the brain indicate that the specimen is in fact, at base, of normal intelligence. This leads one to believe, rather darkly, that there may be other forces at work in this region. This belief is supported by a finding upon one of the monkey corpses, which was written in an ancient tongue and made reference to a cult of brain-thieves, or mind-controllers – the mind-flayers of some cultures' bogeymen tales. I must remember, when we return, to question the local notables on their townspeoples' complaints of kidnappings related to 'intelligent animals'.

Ah yes – a note to add to the above – I believe when E inspected the bows with which the monkeys fired upon us he did not feel that the monkeys had made them themselves. If they were an intelligence unto themselves – a culture of their own – surely they would be able to appropriate and copy this rather primitive technology? Again, this just underlines the rather dark belief of manipulation.

A page later.

Journal entry – first day's travel. Notes for subsequent editing.

The first major fork in the River of Death comes at nearly a day's paddle upstream from Rivertown. I estimate this to be a mere dozen miles or so from the settlement. This first day's length of river, the water was fairly calm, murky: the river wide such that one feels the sun beating down in its relentlessness at midday, and the treecover at the edges thick such that, within ten feet of the riverbanks, one is in comparatively total shadow.

Yet the banks are untamed, and although one may be tempted to rest by paddling in the shade, local wildlife including firebreathing monkeys should deter the casual visitor from doing so.

At this fork there is, it seems but is possibly to be confirmed tomorrow, an island. It may be a peninsula though. I need to correct this at a later date if possible. The main river – the River of Death proper – veers, at least initially, to the south. This main branch is very probably the source?? In any case, from where we made landfall on the first eve it seems that this branch continues with a calm flow, more than wide enough to let the sun reach the water.

This is not the case on the northern branch – it is faster flowing, more turbulent – and the sun reaches not through the canopy above. We arrived late in the day, but even so it was eerie to see a short distance up this branch, and for it to seem already (perhaps perpetually! Gods...) night. I would be glad not to have to travel up this branch for this reason, although the idea of not paddling up the rapids that the water's pace promises is also a strong argument against...

I shall discuss my estimated distances of travel with E tomorrow, and if we are not again attacked by firebreathing wildlife may attempt to sketch a map if the water remains placid enough to permit such leisure activities in between shifts on the oar.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 04:38:45 pm »

"A fair assumption. I believe you would know by instinct, if you concentrated-I've met a few Druids who could at any rate-my parentage is related to the auran race and the element of air-though I am Human in all other regards. Of which race exactly I sprung, I can't truly say. I never knew my parents.

It's in large part why I chose to live close to nature...the only judgement out here is the sort that actually matters. But it is all a passing thing, I think. There is much suffering in this world, after all, and I suppose mine is small and petty compared to others."

He sighs quietly. Kneels down to inspect the centipede which Ashii just saw. It's mildly poisonous-he hopes there's not a nest of them nearby.

"It is enjoyable talking here, isn't it? Without the others, I mean. I sense you are a quiet soul, like me, but...whereas mine is rooted in a sort of...fear...yours is more of a melancholy-surely the sweetest poison. Am I wrong in my guess?"

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 06:04:42 pm »

Dear Marzapan Diary

Still unable to think of an appropriate name for you. As you no doubt noticed we were attacked by monkeys. The ale-drinking man I told you about set about fishing and drawing them. I don't know about him. I feel like the ale might have addled his brains. Why, you might ask? Simple. He sat about drawing monkeys until one of them breathed fire at us. Indeed, in all my years... A fire breathing monkey isn't something I expected... I'll say this though, it was fun.

May I ask you a question diary? I'm going to anyway, do you think it'd be wrong to eat the monkeys? Meat is meat after all. One specimen would be more than enough for the job to pay [for we do have a job that asks us to procure specimens. I think it counts if they're dead]. Well anyway the reason I ask is that we had a bunch of the little bastards and the ale-drinker decides he wants to go fishing. I don't trust the fish here. We are, after all, trying to bless the damned water. Damned Water hm... Been a while since I've seen that as well. Anyway it just seems irresponsible.

I brought up the idea of burning the fores jungle to the ground. No one seemed to be as happy about the ideal as me. I don't see why not. It would certainly make things easier for these folks. Besides nothing of use ever comes from a forest with a fancy title. The others are starting to wake up.
        -Signed
            Holdron [Illegible]
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 06:27:01 pm »

Ashii nodded, listening to the ranger's words as he spoke, murmuring the occasional agreement.
"I sense you are a quiet soul, like me, but...whereas mine is rooted in a sort of...fear...yours is more of a melancholy-surely the sweetest poison. Am I wrong in my guess?"
With a sharp intake of breath, Ashii froze. Slowly, haltingly, she spoke: "We.. we all have regrets. Done things we know no reason for." Her calm shattered, she rose. She almost snarled the next words. "You call it the sweetest, but it tastes of nothing but bitterness in my mouth! " She caught her hand reaching for the bell and slammed her fist against a tree trunk. The crinkled bark made a loud crack! beneath her fist. A terrified insect scuttled away. There was a tense moment, the badger whining at her feet ignored.

She stopped. Her fist dropped away from the tree, blood dripping from the knuckles, and she turned away.
" I am sorry. We all have regrets, but mine... mine are more potent for my ignorance.

The- the camp should be fine here. We should return to the others. Let them know.
"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5