Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well this is a nice embark  (Read 2631 times)

CRM114

• Bay Watcher
  • Rutile walls
    • View Profile
Well this is a nice embark
« on: November 03, 2013, 10:57:37 pm »

I genned up a world to run a sealed-off-to-the-outside-world self sufficient fort, and I found a nice location with a volcano. Did a little prospecting when I started and here's what I found:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first two caverns are pretty open. I've spotted some Rutherers roaming around the third cavern which I'm hoping to domesticate. I've noticed some Giant Cave Spider webs in there too, though I haven't spotted one of the beasties yet.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well this is a nice embark
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 11:07:23 pm »

I genned up a world to run a sealed-off-to-the-outside-world self sufficient fort, and I found a nice location with a volcano. Did a little prospecting when I started and here's what I found:

The first two caverns are pretty open. I've spotted some Rutherers roaming around the third cavern which I'm hoping to domesticate. I've noticed some Giant Cave Spider webs in there too, though I haven't spotted one of the beasties yet.

Give. Now.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

CRM114

• Bay Watcher
  • Rutile walls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 11:51:25 pm »

Here you go - first save is the genned world pre-embark, and the second is post embark. I dun goof'd a bit, and didn't note the location before firing it up (I wasn't exactly expecting this when I picked it) so you might have to hunt around a little to find the exact location. I'm not playing outdoors, but it seems like a pretty defensible position thanks to the choke points afforded by the interesting natural formation.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11588285/region9_0.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11588285/region9_1.zip

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 08:50:22 pm »

If someone locates the embark site, can they put it up on this thread? Please?

Also, couldn't you find it via reclaim?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 03:56:20 am »

I see plenty of steel, bronze, brass, gold, and silver in your future. But most importantly, microcline. At this point I don't know how to dwarf without microcline.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 04:45:14 am »

Here you go - first save is the genned world pre-embark, and the second is post embark. I dun goof'd a bit, and didn't note the location before firing it up (I wasn't exactly expecting this when I picked it) so you might have to hunt around a little to find the exact location. I'm not playing outdoors, but it seems like a pretty defensible position thanks to the choke points afforded by the interesting natural formation.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11588285/region9_0.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11588285/region9_1.zip

Duplicate your world, then abandon the fortress and you'll be able to locate where it is with Reclaim.
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 02:59:28 pm »

Will Op deliver? that is the question!

The genned world has quite the amount of volcano's, some coordinates would be mighty nice to have.

Sgt_Cookie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 03:59:31 pm »

I hope he does, this seems like an interesting embark.

CRM114

• Bay Watcher
  • Rutile walls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 02:08:08 am »

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 08:25:45 am »

As someone who plays vanilla and wants to find it.... Fuck.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 09:17:39 am »

http://hpics.li/9f8045f

Not playing vanilla either, but my set is closer to the original one
I thought it was the place, but temperature is not the same ? Nevermind, I was in the wrong place on the minimap
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:22:22 am by aiseant »
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 09:18:38 am »

This really is the Holy Grail of embarks  :)  Kudos to the OP.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 09:33:18 am »

Wow, what does your worldgen look like?  Surely you're not using the default?
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

AquiziTC

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_CLEVER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 03:28:37 pm »

Uh, so I downloaded that first file, (the pre-embark map) and... well my world looks nothing like the two pictures.

Did the file change? Or.. what happened?

EDIT: Second file is correct world. First file seems to be a new world?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:34:20 pm by AquiziTC »

CRM114

• Bay Watcher
  • Rutile walls
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 04:27:16 pm »

Uh, so I downloaded that first file, (the pre-embark map) and... well my world looks nothing like the two pictures.

Did the file change? Or.. what happened?

EDIT: Second file is correct world. First file seems to be a new world?

Well that's what I'd call a double derp. I've gone ahead and regenerated the world and updated the first save file. Let me know if you have any trouble finding the site. World gen parameters with seeds are included below.

Wow, what does your worldgen look like?  Surely you're not using the default?

Nope, I designed this using advanced parameters - though I'm not using any mods.

The key items I modified are the Volcanism Frequency, Volcano Min, and Mineral Scarcity. The latter two are self explanatory; the reason I changed the first was to get fewer rejections with the high Volcano Min value, and to increase the likelihood of getting coal on a map with a volcano. I did get one world using default parameters that had a tiny bit of coal along with a volcano, but it was 5x5 and spanning three biomes, and the chances of getting another before my hair turns white is very low since coal cannot exist in areas with igneous rock.

I fiddled with the layers a little to reduce the number of z-levels, but it isn't especially relevant, so you can change that if you want a deeper world or 75 z-level candy towers. Ditto number of caves and visible caves.

EDIT: Interesting - regenerating the world seems to have added fire clay to the site. I always thought that generating a world with seeds would give you the same stuff, but it looks like the soil layer was switched here. Mineral distribution seems to be effectively the same.

And it looks like if you embark with the volcano in the top right square that it will trade down about 1000 units of candy in return for about 2000 units of platinum, if you're into that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:40:00 pm by CRM114 »