Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp  (Read 24530 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Mirehole, the Great Succession Fortress in the Swamp
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2013, 08:49:33 pm »

I'll get the turn. If Rhyme ever wants it again, I can return it.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2013, 03:19:09 pm »

DarkArtemisFowl has skipped his turn, and I had already informed CaptainArchmage a while back. Please confirm your turn as soon as possible.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2013, 02:54:40 am »

CaptainArchmage's turn has been extended. In the meantime, I feel that it is best to maintain some activity in this thread.

In an alternate dimension, where the kobold civilization "Fimbus" managed to conquer the fortress of Mirehole:

From the journal of Riñih Ngethacthothil, the treasure-hunting human:

Entry 1:

Morning has come, and my companion and I can now continue our trek into The Mire of Ghosts in search of the lost Dwarven civilization of Mirehole. The swamp was not far from my home town, and although it has not quite the same taboo against it there as I've heard it does in the Dwarven fortresses. I've heard stories of trade caravans completely annihilated by monsters in this land, and I wish to see the structure for myself. Perhaps I'll publish a book on my findings and retire to a quiet life.

Entry 2:

By the gods of my fathers, what in the world is this gas! It is thick in its yellow color, smells of death, and moves slowy towards us. As I move out of the way, I can see a small figure emerging from the gas. It appears to be a female kobold, though something seems off about it.

Its back is hunched forward; its eyes move rapidly in many directions, refusing to focus on one thing in particular. It clutches its knife in its withered palm as it displays a set of sharp, rusty teeth. I fear that my companion and I are in for a fight.

Entry 3:

My companion lies dead before the kobold monster. The beast was fast, and tore her apart before she could do any more damage than a simple arm wound. It has been joined by another beast, this one taking the form of a giant louse, though its characteristics are similar to that of the kobold. Perhaps there was an epidemic of madness-inducing disease at this fortress, causing these creatures to become monsters. Whatever the cause, it seems as if I will have to treavel stealthily.

Entry 4:

The kobolds! They've spotted me! Even with these monsters around, the little pests still maintain a presence here, stealing priceless gems and artifacts from the corpses of the fallen. One has its knife in my leg! I must escape!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2013, 08:45:36 pm »

Apparently, my turn was delayed until the 7th? So that means I'm on now?

I might need until closer to the weekend to really get going though.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2013, 07:25:51 am »

NOOO, PLEASE DON'T DIE!!!
Also, I suggest to skip cpt. Archmage until he's able to play and go on with turns list.
error: 'long long long' is too long

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2013, 08:11:47 pm »

NOOO, PLEASE DON'T DIE!!!
Also, I suggest to skip cpt. Archmage until he's able to play and go on with turns list.
I agree. That would make it Blackmuffin's turn, so if you're out there Blackmuffin, please come and claim it! If he doesn't in a week, I guess I'll take mine.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2013, 08:23:52 pm »

Whoever wishes to take his turn, go ahead! This thread needs a new update!

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2013, 09:36:50 am »

I'm up for additional turn as well.
Since a week is already gone, I suggest that Shadowhammer starts his turn.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 02:17:32 pm by zlob »
error: 'long long long' is too long

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2013, 01:07:08 pm »

Okay, I shall begin my turn by this evening.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2013, 05:11:02 pm »

OOC: whoever made the staircase to the deeps must have been drunk (no offense, whoever it was). On each level, there is an up stair and a down stair. Then, on the next level, it goes the opposite way, so the dwarves have to go down, over, down, over, down over… it’s like they were trying to stop then dwarves from moving efficiently. Just a tip: use up down stairs next time (d -> i)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My reign has just begun, and I have observed some strange behavior. The horses, if these abominable husks can be called that, are fighting each other! One of them seems to have locked the other’s neck behind its knee and is trying to strangle it. It’s not very effective.
Four migrants arrived. Only two made it to the gates alive. The one husk horse that wasn't already fighting ran the other two down and kicked them to death.
A kobold ambusher showed up. Wasn’t he surprised to be set upon by an undying equestrian warrior.
The forgotten beast Stagshil has come! A towering hairy toad. It has a twisting, jointed trunk and it undulates rhythmically. Its auburn hair is long and straight. Beware it’s poisonous sting! This strange and terrible beast has been locked out of the fortress by raising a bridge.
A stoneworker had a fey mood, and created an artifact hatch cover.
The Forgotten Beast in the caverns has been disturbing me with its roaring. I have ordered the marksdwarves to engage it on the bridges, and hopefully destroy it. If they do not prevail, then all may be lost.

To be continued…

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2013, 05:16:13 pm »

OOC: whoever made the staircase to the deeps must have been drunk (no offense, whoever it was). On each level, there is an up stair and a down stair. Then, on the next level, it goes the opposite way, so the dwarves have to go down, over, down, over, down over… it’s like they were trying to stop then dwarves from moving efficiently. Just a tip: use up down stairs next time (d -> i)
I was looking for the aquifer. I had intended to placed a well on the down-staircase that breached it.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2013, 03:44:22 pm »

I was looking for the aquifer. I had intended to placed a well on the down-staircase that breached it.
I see. Makes much more sense now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A marksdwarf breathlessly ran up to me when I issued the order to kill the Beast and informed me they had no bolts. Looks like that confrontation will be put off for a while.
Just when I thought things couldn’t get worse with the evil that dwells on the surface…
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Some human merchants showed up, and were immediately engulfed in a creeping cloud of this abominable gloom. Any thoughts of retaking the surface vanished as I watched their husks tear apart a goblin ambush.
Well, it’s just one enemy after another here. The desert titan Ostusm Tonspeslalsto has come! An enormous eyeless sparrow. It has a broad shell and it has an austere look about it. Beware its poisonous bite!
The battle between the desert titan and the husks has been raging for a long time now, but there’s only one way it can end. The titan cannot kill the husks, because it has nothing sharp enough to slice through their bodies with, and as I have observed, bisection and beheading are the only ways to kill them.
Quite a party going on in the caverns. The forgotten beast Avi Omethucethutha has come! A great maggot composed of solid salt. It has large mandibles and it appears to be emaciated. Beware its poisonous sting!
I opened the cavern gates, and readied the soldiers to fight these two beasts. Woobmonkey, with supporting fire from several marksdwarves, slew Avi, but Stagshil seems to be content just sitting in the cavern lake.
Some migrants arrived. Two were quickly slain by husks, but the last one has fought bravely for several days now. His valor has inspired me to try and retake the surface. These husks shall fear our iron!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I decided to wait here to ask for some input.
Firstly, should I try and save this elite marksdwarf migrant from the husks? Or should I leave him to die and wait for the dwarven caravan so that our kinsmen can aid us in the battle? It is currently mid-autumn, so they might show up in time to save him. Probably not though.
EDIT: Chuck Testa. He's dead already. Looks like we're waiting for the caravan.

Secondly, should batdorf be deployed in the battle? He will be completely unable to kill husks, due to his unarmedness, but he is skilled enough (and well armored enough, he has a full set of iron armor, mixed masterworks and exceptionals) that he would probably be able to hold his own, even if he didn't get any kills.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:08:44 pm by ShadowHammer »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2013, 06:19:12 pm »

Do it.  On my turn, dwarven traders arrived, and the guards whaled on some of the husks until they became legendary.

Train the Batdwarf!

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2013, 07:37:30 pm »

Aaaannnndddd Chuck Testa again. Turns out that killing the horses who used to be livestock starts a loyalty cascade. Assuming it to be a glitch, (which it is), I savescummed, attempting to figure out what happened. The next overseer will have to lure the husks into a trap, perhaps THE GREAT SMASHER O' HUSKS (not yet complete, and I don't have time to finish it). Alternatively, you could try and capture some large dangerous animals from the caverns and release them outside, but I don't know how successful that would be, since entire ambushes, both kobold and goblin, have fallen before them without getting any kills. Anyways, here's the report on the rest of the year.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have changed my mind. We are not yet skilled enough to fight these horrible monsters, and thus I have decided to leave the brave migrant to his fate. We shall not rush forth to his rescue.
Well, yet another Forgotten Beast has come to try and take from us our great wealth. Quula Hodegabe Gopetngok is a gigantic three-eyed weevil. It has large mandibles and it undulates rhythmically. Its dark scarlet exoskeleton is warty. Beware its hunger for warm blood!
While all eyes were on the new arrival, Stagshil took his chance to sneak up the stairs. He slaughtered a marksdwarf who got in the way, and continued up towards the unsuspecting fortress. Wolf and one of his dwarves stood together on the final bridge against this terrible foe, and working in tandem threw the Beast from the bridge. While still alive, he now has most of his body parts broken.
Quula came up the stairs and was met in the forges. He managed to kill Archmage before Batdorf got the killing punch. As I watched the battle unfold from my anvil, I had a terrible realization: I had ordered the marksdwarves to confront a horror from the depths of the earth... with no bolts in their quivers. It was my fault that Archmage died, because he had only an empty crossbow to defend himself. I cannot continue leading, knowing that I may cause tragedy like this ever again. I relinquish my mantle of leadership.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

save

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2013, 07:42:33 pm »

Riiiiiiiiiggghhhhhhtttttt.  That effect.

YEah, I noticed that during my turn, in a different way.  The horse husks were fighting each other, leading to the conclusion that the horses were doing something stupid loyalty wise.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15