Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Enchanters of a shrouded river delta (Dead)  (Read 15446 times)

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
Re: Enchanters of a shrouded river delta
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2013, 05:17:15 pm »

I'd throw money mana at it.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2013, 12:02:52 pm »

Put the golem through a series of basic exercises. Run outside, stab that object, bring its corpse back. Text max speed, combat capability, and ease of control. In particular, test the ability to control it from distance. Considering that these are going to be used in lieu of sending valuable colonists to do things, they need to work well at distance.

Housing. Gordon didn't like abandoning his miniature crusade against whatever the hell hurt his apprentice, but it was necessary for the good of the colony. Flow the granite discovered earlier over to the housing districts, then stone shape it into a neat grid based system of one to two stories homes with lots set aside for the construction of some non-residential buildings.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2013, 03:03:22 am »

Eep!

Getting inspiration from the basic machines handbook she read earlier, Ari tried to implement a kind of system referencing the essence or the idea behind the pulley-and-lever to improve the time needed for general construction.

{Design Idea} She then tries to design a construct that could act as an mass energy generator for the colony--mixing the utilities of magic, and solar power.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2013, 07:23:13 pm »

((Tacky festive update time))

{3} - Edna and her team grow new house-trees.
{5} - Edna manages to create a prototype modified house-trees. They now have at least a basic level of intelligence, and have the awareness to not expand where they're not wanted or overcrowd their neighbors. Doing so required adding in the ability to sense the miniscule levels of ambient magic. She also ensures that they'll emit a particularly weak and harmless conical burst of magic at an area they're about to expand into, reducing their competition amongst themselves.
Modifying the other house-trees will take half a month.
Near the end of the month, she notices that one of the rabbit creatures has begun to follow her everywhere. It spends the night desperately scratching at the walls of her house. When she opens her door the next morning, the obviously exhausted creature rushes over and begins emphatically nuzzling her ankles. The evil sorceress gives it a pan of water and a bit of bread, which it happily consumes -- until she leaves the room, at which point is stumbles after her.

{6}+1 - Unen works heat-seeking into his explosive arrow design. The new arrows are much more dangerous than the originals, but slower to make, and require a source of suitable magical resources to construct in appreciable quantities.
{3}+1 - His energy absorbing stone that releases heat when wet is ready. It's not very efficient, takes a full week to charge, and can only store a single one-hour charge. Carrie takes the prototype.

{2} - Zedas builds a tavern. It's small and not very well made.
{3} - He's only allowed to claim a small quantity of grain. His attempts at brewing make Flourintine question if he's trying to kill her (but she orders a second mug anyway. Then a third ...). At the end of the month the building is completed, but he still has nearly all of his "beer."

{6} - Gorden orders the golem to hunt, kill, and return with an animal from the forest as a test. It momentarily ignores him to scratch some words into the ground (The dangers that may be faced are futile compared to the dangers from within) before leaving. Milly observes its hunt with a scrying spell. She reports that it is utterly terrible at tracking, has no concept of hitting vulnerable points, and doesn't understand when the target is dead. The animals don't run from it as they do from humans. It returns six hours after it leaves, carrying a large and slightly mangled yellow bird. Further testing indicates that the golem will only write more if specifically told what words to write. It has a speed about four fifths of a horse at a full gallop. It will literally obey orders, to the best of its ability. It cannot be controlled outside of vocal range, and it only obeys orders if it can identify the speaker as human. It does not acknowledge written orders.
{1} - He tries to flow granite towards the residential district, but he tries to bring too much and accidentally destroys some farmland after a random surge of ambient mana disrupts his concentration. {1} - A group of seven farmers were killed by the uncontrolled liquid rock. Gorden spends the rest of the month slowly cleaning the rock out of the fertile lands, but the damaged harvest is irrecoverable.

{3} - Ari doesn't manage to glean any knowledge on improving the currently used construction methods.
{4} - She does manage to design power generators that run on ambient magic, with only the resources currently available to the colony, but they're inefficient and hard to make.
((I'll measure units of power in Barons, because the name amuses me and I want to leave things mostly abstract or I'll end up updating even less. One Baron would be enough to power one medium tank.))

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

{3 of 3} - The Trailsapper is fully repaired.

{2} - The military spends most of its time patrolling the streets. Frontier life is grating on morale, and people spend much of their time either slacking or pretending to work. There are plans for a large harvest festival next month, which the leadership hopes will solve the problem.

Morale is bad.

Players:

IronyOwl's Edna Black, the Mutationist
Fniff's Zedas Piek, the Thanaturge
Tiruin's "Ari" Eloam, the Artificer
Draignean's Gordon Neider, the Geomancer
Lenglon's Unen the Entropist

Spoiler: Colonists (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Military (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Special Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Resource Access (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Player Buildings (click to show/hide)

The "antagonists" are still recruiting.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2013, 07:33:42 pm »

You guys still have two giant scorpions, they could be used as organic golems of a sort.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2013, 02:20:49 am »

((I'll measure units of power in Barons, because the name amuses me and I want to leave things mostly abstract or I'll end up updating even less. One Baron would be enough to power one medium tank.))
((Cue any new reader at least thinking that we run on the feudal system and more on serfdom than the state of free subjection. "The Colony, running on Barons since [begin_date_here]!" xD))

> Attach one of those energy generators I've devised onto that zeppelin! If possible, try to improve its design by giving it a support-suspension system if ever its main system of keeping afloat would fail (I picture a gas-filled balloon with ballasts?) If not possible to squeeze enough time into this, discard action and proceed to the second bolded action.[the improving, not the attaching]

Ari stretched in the few hours she had as her free time and yawned as the cool delta-breeze fell across the colony. It was a blustery day and she guessed she had much on her mind as of late, what with the construction and the innovation going around, she was sure the air was saturated with the minds of a million people.

Or just the heat of the day, that too.

"Alright Akari, what d'ya think we'll do today? We've got another month ahead of us and I do hope to see this colony bloom."
*point*
"What about it?"

"The people aren't really working. The atmosphere doesn't feel all that happy. Morale is down."
"But people will be people. There's the up and down parts of life."
"Which shouldn't be, now. People should be prepared to face those down parts, do you not agree?"
"It is something to ponder upon, yes. Oohh, I've got it!"

> Either formulate a plan to aid the morale (permanently) of the colony OR:
- Design a method wherein said 'Magic' generators could be harnessed into Magical energy--stored in small containers like crystals or shaped glass for public use and general life.
((I would link to you a place wherein the idea is fully formed Nirur, as a reference, if you'd like. It...may take a while to read though. :3)
[If the second action would be taken and probably thrown into scrutiny, my response in advance is: "We'll be self-sufficient one day, and I'd like the people to know what us magic-users deal with. They should feel safe with this use and not ostracize it, given its prevalence in our society."]

....((I can think of a lot of disasters if my idea would be followed. x3))
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 02:23:50 am by Tiruin »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2013, 04:32:32 am »

((Yaaaaaaaaay!

Also woohoo for earth magic being seven times as dangerous and zero times as useful as playing gods.))

You guys still have two giant scorpions, they could be used as organic golems of a sort.
((They're probably not good for much except pack mules at the moment, and altering them's too dangerous until we can breed more.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2013, 05:51:51 am »

((Yaaaaaaaaay!

Also woohoo for earth magic being seven times as dangerous and zero times as useful as playing gods.))
((...Is it just me or do I see a difference in height between the red and green letters? O_o

Also yay you! You've a pet pink bunny-wunny that loves you!))
It's gonna eat ya! >:D

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2013, 04:55:46 am »

Edna paced leisurely around her office, holding and petting her second rabbit. Her first one was nearby, as she often was, staring at it with what looked like fear, as she often did.

Flow looked scared of just about everything, but she couldn't particularly blame her for that one. It was awfully suspicious how she'd suddenly gained a rabbit-thing that seemed desperately bonded to her. That wasn't about to stop her from keeping it as a cuddly pet, however- if it turned out to be a spy or plague vector, she supposed she'd just have to warp a lot of living things to deal with that. In the meantime, she had a cute, snuggly pet that wuvved her.

So... on to business. She'd considered using the zeppelin to go investigate some of those island specimens, but then she'd gotten word that the artificer was messing with it. She supposed if anyone was qualified to mess with a zeppelin it was probably an itemcrafter, but there was still no way she was making plans involving it until she knew for a fact that it was still there and safe to use.

That left things at home. Upgrading the trees was a given, but there were a thousand other things relating to housing, morale, and progress that she could work on right now. Like perhaps... or maybe... or maybe...

A grin started to break out across Edna's face, and she gave her arm-bound rabbit a snuggle as it turned to laughter. Soon she was fully cackling, pet in hand and minion nearby, pacing through her expansive mansion.

It was still light out and there weren't any thunderstorms, but it was still a good day to be Edna Black.

Take the whole month off, and conscript as many wizards as I need, to work on a personal, somewhat secretive project. If anyone objects, remind them that there are nearly as many colonists with houses because of me directing a handful of wizards as there are due to the tireless efforts of over a thousand carpenters and lumberjacks.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2013, 04:56:46 am »

(PTW.)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2013, 06:02:40 am »

Clearly, power is an issue here.
design a type of magic-collecting stone that sends out a slight signal in a small area around it. this signal is used to allow multiple stones of the same type to keep their magic-levels the same, if one stone is more charged than the other (percentage-wise, meaning a high-capacity stone will stabilize with more magic in it than a lower-capacity one in the same network, but they'll be the same percentage-charged), the higher-charged stone will transfer power to the lower charged stone... with some loss of course, but nothing unreasonable. also design a stone that works on the same network, but rather than gathering power, it outputs it into magical devices in physical contact with it until they are 90% charged or the stone itself is depleted. since this stone works on the same network, the magic-collecting stones will send it power as it falls below the %charged the rest of the network is. finally, design "transfer-stones" that send and receive power along the same network and with the same rules, but have no inherent function beyond that and power storage.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2013, 05:05:38 am »

*poke*

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2013, 05:20:57 pm »

*poke*

((My fault.))

Put name in for public penance. Spend this month doing whatever is asked of me by the civilian populace. One cannot remedy mistakes by pretending they did not happen.

While I'm working on that, set Milly on a divination of the words the Golem scratched. Why them? Why then? What force gave the command to the golemn? (Etc, Etc)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2013, 06:47:29 pm »

Take advantage of recent disaster by giving a discount to farmers affected by Gordon's screw up. Try to help out with the damages as well by attempting to create extra fertile ground and aging up crops using magic.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2014, 04:39:52 am »

((I like this teamwork! xD))
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15