Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Enchanters of a shrouded river delta (Dead)  (Read 15432 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Enchanters of a shrouded land
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 07:00:02 pm »

Name: Edna Black
Description: Tall and bone thin, with deathly pale skin, snow-white eyes, and jet-black hair, Edna is the very picture of a necromancer or evil sorceress. Oddly enough, she's almost the inverse of the former, though the latter is more debatable. Edna's focus is on warping the living to best serve her, and she's not shy in explaining how much better and more direct this is than enchanting swords or even raising the dead. She's equally quick to dismiss objections regarding the dangers or monstrousness of her craft, arguing that such trifles are a small price to pay for warping life itself to your service.
Specialization: Mutation
Hobby: Keeping pets and gardens
Personality: Insightful, Creative, Ambitious, Deranged
One good thing you hope this world has: A plethora of rich and varied ecosystems to draw specimens from
One bad thing you hope this world doesn't have (or does have): Horrors beyond mortal reckoning to draw specimens from
One suggestion for the expedition to bring: At least a breeding pair of giant scorpions to ride
Desired Site: River Delta
Assistant: Flow, often called Rabbit by Edna, is a small, usually frightened-looking girl all of four feet tall. She's an expert at helping to carefully acquire living specimens, however, having a delicate touch and being quick as a, well, rabbit. She's also small and agile enough to wriggle into places Edna herself might not be able or willing to go, and is familiar with carefully collecting fragile or poisonous specimens, setting traps or disabling creatures herself, and luring or distracting truly dangerous or hungry creatures without getting caught and eaten in the process.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 09:24:28 pm »

>_>
<_<
I sorta knew IronyOwl would pop in mysteriously before the due date times. Sneaky sneaky owl.

luvmonke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 10:34:13 pm »

Don't know how I forgot to add my specialization up there the first time, but it's Rings.  Enchanted Rings.

Was going to be boots to go with the gag name but rings have more potential.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 06:09:34 pm »

((I have discovered the joys of creating characters by randomly scrolling around the 'characters as device' index of TvTropes))

Chosen Enchanters:

IronyOwl's Edna Black, the Mutationist
Fniff's Zedas Piek, the Thanaturge
Tiruin's "Ari" Eloam, the Artificer
Draignean's Gordon Neider, the Geomancer
Lenglon's Unen the Entropist

River delta selected.

Spoiler: Colonists (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Military (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Special Resources (click to show/hide)

The first few turns will cover one day each. I'll start you off with three actions/turn/player, and see how it goes. That's about four hours per action, although you could split it differently. You may try to influence the leader.

Also: I'm throwing in a force-of-nature/chaos/antagonist. Sign-up by PM, get link to a Quicktopic thread (no registration required, no pressure if you just want to spectate without participating).

Edit: Right, I didn't forget some sort of starting text. I was, er, waiting to see if anyone would catch its absence.

After weeks of preparation, the day of departure finally arrived. Thirteen powerful wizards finished their week-long ritual, leaving them as magically-drained mental vegetables for the next three years. (They're estimated to fully recover if given enough time.)
Their portal will remain open for about four days. The military, leaders, zeppelin, and enchanters will go through on the first day, with supplies being carried in by the civilian colonists on the remaining days.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:03:25 pm by Nirur Torir »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Enchanters of a shrouded river delta
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 07:36:53 pm »

Edna took in a deep breath from her new home... and couldn't help but immediately exhale it in a maniacal cackle. They were here! There was so much to do! Soon she'd have her claws on the bounties of an entire world, just waiting for... improvement.

She broke into a run.

Examine the water life.
Examine the plant life, especially the trees.
Go with Flow to attempt to scout out animal life, using Flow to creep up on more skittish or reclusive examples.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 08:09:00 pm »

"Looks like someone's happy enough for the New World. This looks like a good beginning!"

Ari looked at the rest of the others and pointed at the zeppelin. "I'm betting we need to cover the area and explore for other significant places, don't you agree? I'll send out orders for it to survey the surrounding lands."

Order the zeppelin to explore the adjacent areas.

Begin construction of agricultural tools and structures from supplies at hand.
If another action is not needed to complete the one above, then Enchant said tools and structures for durability and weather-proofness, and perhaps efficiency.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 02:58:27 am »

With a somewhat fixed, unsettling smile, Unen walks over to the 3rd Battalion and informs three squads that "You're going to come with me now" he then walks over to Carrie, who has seen Unen pull these kind of antics before, and informs her "These two squads are yours." before walking over to the nearby hillside with the third squad he 'recruited'. He then lets them know that "You will now remove the sand." before getting to work using his talents to grind the dirt and rock in his way into a fine sand-like powder, carving out a large, cool, underground storage area.

He then carves out a bunker of sorts, secure for the testing of dangerous compounds, weapons, and animals.

finally, he returns to Carrie, who has probably (but not necessarilly) been either training the recruits she was 'gifted' by Unen in how to combat the undead, or sent them out to patrol the area or whatever, and asks her "Any requests?" before making whatever new toy of destruction she has thought up most recently.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 02:03:27 pm »

Going to a new world would have excited Neider more in his younger days, but now... His rush of excitement was tempered and somewhat overwhelmed by anticipated fatigue. Gordon knew the governor back when he'd been military, back when Gordon had been military. From what he'd heard, the man was more fit to lead an expedition to a liquor cabinet than a new world. Drown politics...
    Gordon grimaced, beckoned Milly forwards absently, and stumped forward onto the new world. There was work to be done.

1. Get Milly to do some divining work on the river itself. Does it flood? How often, how badly, any patterns, etc?

2. Survey available stone deposits, anything that can be brought to the surface to build structures. If I find anything useful, start bringing it to the surface.

3. Request control of the 4th support division from the governor. If granted, outline the plans for an irrigation system for colony's fields. Get them to work on the basics immediately. If not granted, then start work on it myself and gather aid from the Farmers as they come in.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 10:52:24 am »

Zedas looked out at the river delta in awe. A whole new world, his to transform... and possibly an escape route. His heart burst with excitement. Who could have thought an unlicensed wizard could reach such lofty heights?

"Ca lumea extraterestră! With fantastic!" he said in shock.

"Indeed, Piek." said Florentine, holding her musket wearily. If Zedas tried to make a run for it, she wouldn't hesitate to shoot him in the leg and drag him back. She didn't trust him one bit, even if he did say yes to the Emperor's choice. She didn't find any awe in this new world: standing with your jaw at your feet tended to get you shot in the army.

"We need to explore the wildlife!" Zedas said suddenly, gaining a thoughtful edge to his glee.

"Whatever you say, Piek." she said, looking around wearily at the area. Too many ways for him to run.
Analyze the plants in the local area and attempt to determine their attributes. Find out what are harmful and harmless, then hand out pamphlets to settlers saying which are which. Share results with Edna, since we both are operating in the same field.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:54:19 am by Fniff »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 06:52:27 pm »

((1.5% of a NaNoWriMo goal with this update. I could sooo hit 50,000 words in a month with 2-3 forum games on daily updates.))

Edna arrives in the new world following a platoon from the first company and cackling. The soldiers give her a wide berth as she runs towards the river, followed by Flow. They look at their platoon leader uncertainly. {2} - After a few hours of trying, Edna determines that the aquatic fauna are fishlike and terrified of everything that moves.
{4} She abruptly stands and runs to the trees, which she decides are similar to normal trees. She sees no evidence of any species she's familiar with, but wood seems to still be wood. It acts like wood, and, after one branch that wasn't there two seconds ago somehow catches her hair while there's no wind, she notes that it burns like wood, without any signs of toxicity. When the nearest captain realizes that she's using one of his men for testing, he begins yelling in a thick accent, much to the victim's relief. She cackles and runs back towards the forest, Flow in tow.
{3} - Most of the animals are even more skittish than the fish. Even with Flow's help, they have serious trouble doing more than catching sight of a few deer-like creatures at long range or finding lots of fluffy and brightly colored bunny-like creatures. The bunnies are friendlier than those back home.

{2} - Ari leaves uneventfully. She considers turning loose wood from the forest into improvised tools, but decides that it wouldn't be worth the effort to make them durable enough to survive storage until the real tools run out. She asks about making a silo, but Construction Organizer Herbert is still planning and shoots her down. She instead helps to oversee the zeppelin's launch.
{3} - After it launches without incident, she decides to double-check that the soldiers' powder barrels are properly sealed. She patches up a few aging storage enchantments.

{2} - Unen spends the morning trying to recruit soldiers for his construction project, but the company leader refuses to llisten to logic, and instead wastes time setting up a perimeter and patrols.
{4} - Eventually, he manages to get an off-duty platoon to help with his construction project, by promising them a favor in the future. The civic organizer suggests he build his testing area off in the forest somewhere, so he does. His ground-to-sand transformation goes well, and the soldiers only mildly complain about digging sand for wizards not being in their contract. The bunker consists of one main room with four cells and a ramp spiraling to the surface. It needs doors and furniture, and is roughly made.
{3} - He returns to find Carrie regaling off-duty soldiers with tales about fighting the undead. She has not thought of any new toys for him to make in the past eight hours.

{2} - Milly immediately sets to work divining the river. She has trouble noticing much, but the water is fresh slightly upriver.
{4} - Gordon spends his time checking the ground. It's mostly solid stone underneath a thick layer of soil. At Organizer Herbert's direction, he begins the slow process of creating a quarry some distance upriver.
{6} - He spends the evening planning an irrigation system with one of Organizer Herbert's underlings. The engineer platoon is busy planning a temporary palisade.

{5} - Zedas immediately sets to work trying to identify plants. He doesn't see any familiar species of flora, but his magic lets his identify deadly plants. He collects several samples of each, as well as some samples of non-toxic and potentially edible plants.
{2} - Nobody is willing to be a test subject, no matter how many times he assures the soldiers that, at worst, the samples don't have a point.
{4} - He does set up a few displays near the portal with warning signs about deadly plants. (Carrie wrote the signs after seeing his attempt at one and telling a nearby soldier to watch him.)

The military sets up a patrol schedule and a watchful perimeter around the portal. Under Organizer Herbert's guidance, flags are set-up marking stockpiles, work areas, and temporary residential areas. The zeppelin begins exploring the immediate area, and will return in a few days.

The patrols report no threats, but the woods are eerily quiet. There are signs of animals large and small, but they see nothing other than the brightly colored rabbit creatures Edna noticed.

Tomorrow will see the first settlers arrive, carrying a mix of tools, food, and tents. The wizards will also arrive, along with the soil enrichment crystals.

Players:

IronyOwl's Edna Black, the Mutationist
Fniff's Zedas Piek, the Thanaturge
Tiruin's "Ari" Eloam, the Artificer
Draignean's Gordon Neider, the Geomancer
Lenglon's Unen the Entropist

Spoiler: Colonists (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Military (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Special Resources (click to show/hide)

I'm cutting this down to two actions per player.

The "antagonists" are still recruiting. They're having fun in there. It will be even more fun if more people join.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 12:22:08 am »

"Dawwww. Cute lil bunnies will have purpose by the time I'm done with them."

Begin amassing as much information about the bright bunnies as possible. What colors they come in, where they seem to live, what they probably eat, and so on.
Talk to the construction organizer about his rough plans for the settlement.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 01:45:09 am »

Finish roughing out the details of irrigation system, and, while I've got the Organizer's ear, suggest plans to raise a monument from the earth. A stone obelisk, designed to mark the first planetfall by the Empire and boost the moral of the colonists.

After that, meet up with the support division. Help them with the palisade using geomancy, and improve the work they do. Keep Milly working on the same divining project, that's going to be important in the coming days.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 03:06:28 am »

Unen spends both his turns worth working in the lab, perfecting a system for enchanting arrowheads with an impact-triggered incindary explosive enchantment, one that won't go off when the arrows are fired but will when they hit their target.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 09:20:25 pm »

So if the organizer has his worries, I guess I'll work on it myself. Ari decided as she looked at the zeppelin, floating away.

So she decided to:
> Strengthen and ensure complete durability of all soldiers' weapons and tools, probably adding a second line of personal protection to it by mass-mini reconfiguration.

> Create a morale boosting game or device and have it free for the pioneers to play with--sort of like remaking an old sport from the old world into the new world, like how our modern day sports were made.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 01:25:18 pm »

"Well, Mr uh, Piek." said the engineer sergeant. "I suppose we could construct a few hou--"

"We need people in the house, so we can get them as happy as possible, a lot of sun so they are convinced that it is a good place to be!" said Zedas rapidly.

"A lot of sun? This place isn't that sunny." said the sergeant confusedly. Zedas rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"At home, please. Now!" said Zedas.

The engineer sergeant shook his head. "Crazy goddamn wizards..."
Get the 4th support to construct houses for the approaching settlers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15