Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Nations of Dolusil: Game thread [6/6]  (Read 5888 times)

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nations of Dolusil: Game thread [6/6]
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 07:51:02 am »

((Nope, not how science works. You can't research additional levels of technologies. The only thing you can do is make an invention using them, which might then level them up.))

I seee
Durrr..

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 09:33:24 am »

With the trade route active bonecrafters got a new, if yet modest,  source of income and it was decided to fund a new village to let bonecrafters to process excess whale bones not only for weapons and tools, but toys, kitchenware, musical instruments and some say even magical amulets powered by remains of whale souls

In the same time, after a failed expedition to the sea, it was decided to do what Whala haven't done for ages, send an expedition in Taiga forest located close to the capital

Build bonecrafter village

Raise one more unit of spearmen

Send one unit of spearmen to explore nearby lands

one unit of Sea raiders to assist in trade\guard the trade route

Invention:  Bonesoulcrafters (Necromancy+Division of labor) I am trying to get a group of  bonecrafters that learned to infuse souls of the whales to create various magical items from the bones 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:35:51 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 02:48:22 pm »

The Oedogis are conquerers, not raiders.

Let the villagers know they have three chances to surrender, or they would suffer at the hoofs of the Oedogi.
The tactic is simple. The boys will approach the enemy in a pincer movement, each squad taking a wing. Try to rout, not kill the enemy.
Spare any man who surrenders; kill those who won't. Women and children are always spared (we need spare bodies).
Study carefully anything interesting, including how our boys fare against the slingers, how to the villagers feed themselves, their culture, magick, etc etc. (i.e. hold off for a turn)
Leave a squad of horse as guards, and the rest explore the lands once more.

Tactical Diplomacy initiated:

The enemy is visibly shaken by your display of force, and send one of the elder of the tribe to discuss with the soldiers. A surrender seems likely, depending on your demands.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 02:59:30 pm »

Actions:
-Fire wand squad which is facing wolf horde: set wolves on fire
-If the combat is resolved, move to Torkal afterwards as quickly as possible
-Have the other fire wand squad also attempt to explore the surroundings

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 06:08:02 pm »

Let the villagers know they have three chances to surrender, or they would suffer at the hoofs of the Oedogi.
The tactic is simple. The boys will approach the enemy in a pincer movement, each squad taking a wing. Try to rout, not kill the enemy.
Spare any man who surrenders; kill those who won't. Women and children are always spared (we need spare bodies).
Study carefully anything interesting, including how our boys fare against the slingers, how to the villagers feed themselves, their culture, magick, etc etc. (i.e. hold off for a turn)

The enemy is visibly shaken by your display of force, and send one of the elder of the tribe to discuss with the soldiers. A surrender seems likely, depending on your demands.
Accept Oedogi overlordship. Military and material service. Probably they need to provide one slinger unit equivalent and they have to pay 2 food or 2 mats to us (or a mix) every turn.

P.S. Pour research into seasonal migration, so in winter the herds will occupy warmer lands and vice versa. Supersedes previous conditional order.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:51:07 pm by evilcherry »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 03:30:51 pm »

Current Season: Summer*
*Seasons are strange here, and partly random

The council members of magic and war hold a meeting based on the scouts findings. The meeting is swift and decisive. We will try to see if we can get on friendly terms with the salamander trough offerings of food, having such creatures under our control will instill fear in our enemies. However fighting it would be not only dangerous for our men, but it might as well form a danger in the future if more of them appear. To add, our arrows are no match for it's skin nor are our beasts.
> Find the salamander near it's lair and offer (Show that we are bringing food and leaving it) without trespassing it's nest.  Do not attempt to fight it.

The surroundings are still unknown, they must be explored further.
> Send both scouts to explore for natural resources or other animals/ mythical beasts, send one scout into the mountains and the other to explore the plains.

Council member of construction advised the construction of farms to sustain our animals and population, we should make use of the nearby plains to set-up the ranches.
> Construct Ranch Village

Council member of Science reports that some villagers have noticed that certain traits can be passed on trough selective breeding, more research is required on this but it means that we can get stronger and healthier animals if we get this technique under control.
> Research the idea of selective breeding

Council member of food is worried that we might get a food shortage, he suggests that we should use our mounted archers to hunt for animals like horses,deers, boars and wild cows. While it may leave us defenseless, we have an outpost to spot enemies giving us valuable time to call them back.
>Send archers on a hunting mission for food around the village.

Council member of diplomacy partied too much and thus is currently shouting gibberish which is ignored until he sobers up.

The fire salamander, while normally not a very aggressive beast, is, like almost all other animals, pretty dangerous if it's offspring is on the line. Almost all Fire Salamander's lead a solitary life, and are therefore often quite territorial if approached during their laying and breeding times. This is a risk the people knew, and thanks to that knowledge, they knew where to run when the Salamander did not take kindly to their gifts.

The mountain scout failed to find anything interesting. The findings of the other scout pretty much mirror that of the other, save for the discovery of footprints of plain wolves, not usually seen this close to the village.

Population expands, as does livestock.

The archers have brought back a small amount of food. They report that the nearby wild animal herds appear to be smaller than usual.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

>With the newly acquired artillery doctrine, The King calls upon the guild of Industry and Invention to refine this further into small artillery pieces able to be mounted on the war cogs, to give them a bigger offensive punch if war comes to the islands.(Use engineering+sea travel+artillery doctrine to create ship-mounted ballistae, as well as systems to retrofit them to existing ships)

>The sea provides a huge bounty, bringing enough surplus that the King feels confident enough to order one of the fleets to be re-outfitted as traders, and orders a trade mission be conducted along the new trade route to Whala. Priority is gaining more material supply, so offer knowledge of engineering, or knowledge of tapping mana wells to them in exchange.

>With the weather (hopefully) clearing, the new fleet of War Cogs will conduct its interrupted scouting mission, taking the archers along as planned.

>Organize work gangs from the unemployed and criminals(with pay or time served as payment), and use these to provide the work force needed to begin the terrace project. Provide a bit of material to aid in this.

>(Conditional order: If the population grows this turn, I want to set up another resource village. Depending on how the mission to Whala goes, this is either going to be a fishing village located on a nearby island, so that one of the fleets in the Grand Harbor can be a trade fleet permanently, or a second woodcutters, so I can keep my supply refilling. Also, if by chance my scouts uncover a surface deposit(unlikely, but hey), then instead I want a mining village)

Despite freeing a trading fleet to conduct trade with Whala, little actual trade travels the route. It appears the Whalanian people have little reason to actually sell their resources.

As the weather clears, the war cogs set out to survey the nearby islands. A sudden and unexpected storm makes an end to their mission however, and nothing is heard from them. A few days later, a trader fishes one of the men out of the water. Apparently, a freak storm smashed the ship into an island.  (2 ones, and a 2) A strange tale surely, as no other traders have mentioned anything about bad weather.

With some reluctance, people set to work on the terrace project. Progress will be slow for now, but at least there's progress.

[Defense project: 2/40 production (+2/turn) (Note: This does not include any additionall defensive constructions at the edge of the terraces)]

Spoiler: Bright Sea Kingdom (click to show/hide)

With the trade route active bonecrafters got a new, if yet modest,  source of income and it was decided to fund a new village to let bonecrafters to process excess whale bones not only for weapons and tools, but toys, kitchenware, musical instruments and some say even magical amulets powered by remains of whale souls

In the same time, after a failed expedition to the sea, it was decided to do what Whala haven't done for ages, send an expedition in Taiga forest located close to the capital

Build bonecrafter village

Send one unit of spearmen to explore nearby lands

one unit of Sea raiders to assist in trade\guard the trade route

Invention:  Bonesoulcrafters (Necromancy+Division of labor) I am trying to get a group of  bonecrafters that learned to infuse souls of the whales to create various magical items from the bones 

[Error detected: Forgot to apply progressively increasing science cost*.]

The scouts make a journey deep into the forest. For weeks, they're not heard from, and are almost assumed death, when eventually, they do manage to return.  They tell a spectacular tale, of how they found, deep in the forests, the bones of a long dead creature, amidst the remnants of it's nest. Burried beneath the bones, as if it had try to shelter it with it's corpse, they found a single egg. It's rather large, and appears to emanate a constant chill.

Trade is still very slow to take up. Population grows.

*Don't worry, it's not as bad as it might seem.

Our population flourishes, and it continues to be an excellent time to expand our holdings!
(Also, shouldnt I have..12 construction material? Is that what my lumber camp provides?)
Construct a second lumber camp, gathering fresh timber for our fledgling nation

Send out the Scouts to further scout the region.
Innovation Idea! (Agriculture + Engineering) Farming has given us great strength, we seek to expand upon this strength by devising a system to bring fresh water to all our farmland (Irrigation system anyone?)

The scouts managed to discover some wood drifting down the river, giving the tribe some much needed resources.

Irrigation systems are developed. For now, it remains to limited installation on a few fields, but it could be expanded in the future.

Population continues to grow. Pests infested supply and destroyed part of our food storage.

Spoiler:  T'Ango (click to show/hide)

Actions:
-Fire wand squad which is facing wolf horde: set wolves on fire
-If the combat is resolved, move to Torkal afterwards as quickly as possible
-Have the other fire wand squad also attempt to explore the surroundings

The fire squad unleashes their fire spells at full power, incinerating the wolves, and a good part of the forest. After the blaze has raged out however, both squads stumble upon the same, abandoned temple. It must have been covered by the forest for years, only now revealed and stripped of it's shell. Experts are gathered to the site, and ascertain that the temple appears to have a locked up source of magical power inside. Additionally, dormant spells linger around it, waiting for energy. They reckon you could probably destroy the temple to get at the source, or try to reactivate it.

Accept Oedogi overlordship. Military and material service. Probably they need to provide one slinger unit equivalent and they have to pay 2 food or 2 mats to us (or a mix) every turn.

P.S. Pour research into seasonal migration, so in winter the herds will occupy warmer lands and vice versa. Supersedes previous conditional order.
The villagers surrender. They agree to the tithe, and will gather the militia for your troops.

Nothing interesting is found.

The spoils from this endavour, and the extra lands unlocked provide a significant bonus to your nation. Population grows tremendously.

[/quote]
[/quote]
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:21:20 am by 10ebbor10 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 04:30:04 pm »

>With the disaster at sea chalked up to the capriciousness of the Mon Goddess and the tides, there is only one recourse, recall the fleet currently guarding the trade route for R&R and to guard the city. The King sends his messenger boats out with this order.
>With the population growing, and in view of the loss of the archers, Jewelport needs to organize the various watchmen into a City Guard. The Guardsmen are issued trishulas(slightly stylized fishing tridents, still perfectly capable as a weapon) and blue-green tabards, and drilled as a unit. (create a squad of Guardsmen)
>An ambitious minor noble has heard of the wonderous city of Torkal, situated near a river on the mainland. He has organized a small expedition to locate this city and open relations with it, with the blessing of the King.(diplomatic mission to Torkal)
>A man interesting in the art of glassmaking has come to the city, and petitioned the king to locate suitable sandpits for glassworks. The King, recalling the failure to trade with Whala do to the lack of anything to really trade with, sends the new Guardsmen on a scouting mission on the island to locate such pure sands, with the man as a guide to let them know what to look for.
>The trade fleet is sent back fishing to feed the growing population.
>The guild if Innovation and Industry continues its work on ship-mounted artillery, which is even more urgent now that the fleets have been cut in half due to the storm, and also due to the fact that Jewelport lacks the lumber at the moment to build more....
>The engineers determine that the size of the project is too much for the city to build normally, so they turn to the magicians to invoke the ancient rites of construction, like the ones that built the harbor.(didn't want to, but I'm invoking magical construction to get this done, otherwise this will take forever and all my resources for something I THOUGHT was gonna be minor!)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 04:54:51 pm »

(Sorry tryrar, but opportunity is too tempting. And PvP is a fun thing to do)

When news about the disaster that crippled military power of Bright Sea kingdom the decision was made immediately, time for trade has ended, with rumors of great defensive works it is obvious that it is now or never The order to attack was issues as soon as the news reached ears of the high chief... Immediately all forces were ordered to attack leaving nothing to defend the homeland. Attack in the heart of Jewelport, Attack it's Grand harbor. Attack it's fleets.

In the same time, back at home, yet another unit of spearmen were raised to not leave the homeland undefended

Among other news the mysterious egg was placed under supervision of shamans and construction of new whale breeding village have started

As for science, all great mind concentrated only on one thing, upcoming assault and various strategies were offered bringing military tech forward

b) Capture some of fishing fleets\Cogs
c) Capture some shipwright\engineers\magic builders to get them to Whala
This is a hit and run attack, I have no intention to occupy anything. Don't bother trying to get any resources barring prisoners and boarded ships

Build one more  whale breeding village

Keep the egg and wait for results

Try to unlock aggressive military doctrine
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:58:18 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 05:22:48 pm »

Edit: Whoops, wrong thread
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 07:05:48 pm »

-Have the temple studied closely by archeologists, to catalog everything about the temple
-Have one fire wand squad continue exploring, the other will defend
-If the Bright Sea Kingdom's diplomatic mission reaches Torkal, attempt to get good relations with them
-Construct another farming village
-Torkal's artificers will look into developing the tools and skills needed for Mining

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 09:18:07 pm »

Scouts continue scouting.

Construct a Research Institution (Council of the Learned)
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 10:24:12 pm »

The subjugation of the Khimidogi* tribe is not universally welcomed. Some tribes have argued that the newly conquered town drained much of their younger boys looking for a more settled lifestyle, and thus is a threat to the Oedogi way of life, and the existence of the Oedogi as a significant force. Some, especially the Fox clan, think that there is nothing incomparable, and if these Khimidogi shows that they are as capable as anyone else, they should be allowed to properly become one of the Oedogi tribes.

Try to assimilate culturally the new village
Invite Khimidogis to participate in the warrior games of Oedogi. See how their practices are different to Oedogi, and what the Oedogi can benefit from it.

Understanding that the seasons are magical, the Eagle tribe argued that perhaps they should set up a scholarly institution to further understand it. Precisely they should look at the winds, stars, skies, and anything magical, so the well-being of the Oedogi herds can be further preserved

Setup research institution

The confirmed subjugation of a Khimidogi village means that there must be more of them.
2 Oedogi Light Cavalry continue to scout, explore, scour the land, while trying to conquer/subjugate anyone else.
The slingers and the other light Cavalry should defend the place.

For the defending cavalry unit, they should be donned in heavier armor, as defenders of static units won't have the luxury of expanse and speed, and for prestige.

Combine Copper+Mounted Troops+Breeding Lv1 to make a new kind of Heavy Mounted Infantry as guards unit

*Khimidogi means lizard-man-BELONG, or mans of Lizard in the Oedogi language. That is a pejorative used by the Oedogi (that is horse-man-BELONG, or man of horse) to signify their superiority.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 10:04:25 am »

Combat:

Initiative rolls UR[15] versus TRY[18].
Result: Attack occurs before most of this turns actions. Part of the militia has been gathered.

Spoiler: Description of area (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: UR (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tryrar (click to show/hide)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 10:18:18 am »

Hmmm, my best bet seems to be to take out the transports. That, combined with my harbor fortifications, should make it too expensive for him to continue. So, to that end the War Cogs will take the middle, and the fishing fleets will sweep around to the left and right of his formation. Not only will this mean some of my ships will likely reach the unprotected transports, but I can also put in a pincer movement on his fleets, with my tough War Cogs as the anchor. If it goes well, the transports will be destroyed or driven off, and the formation will squeeze his whaleships. If it goes poorly, the remaining ships fall back to the harbor fortifications, and as many units of the militia as are ready will form up and drive them off
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:23:21 am by tryrar »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 10:50:47 am »

The battle has started, the order were received and commander knew the top priority of the operation: Nullify Kingdom's naval power. One unit of sea raiders rushed at War cogs to tie them in a battle. In the same time transports rushed into the combat with a clear intention to  board cogs, Spears may be not the best weapon for combats on the decks but their goal was to owerhelm with numbers, not win with finesse

In the same time single unit of sea raiders was busy attacking fishing boats unsuited for combat

Sea raider + transports loaded with spearmens : Attack war Cogs, try to board as many of them as possible even if that will lead to high causalities on our side. Taking prisoners is desirable

Second Sea raiders to engage in combat with fishing boats.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5