Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Nations of Dolusil: Game thread [6/6]  (Read 5870 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Nations of Dolusil: Game thread [6/6]
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 05:05:10 pm »

Tactical initiative roll: 2[UR] vs 12[Try]

The Whale carried boats of the Whala surged forwards at the enemy lines , preparing to board. Aided by a strong back wind, the Kingdom's Cogs instead surged forward, aiming to exploit their structurally stronger hulls by ramming the enemy ships. Both fleets clash, and quite a few of the enemy boats are damaged. However, having lost their momentum, the Kingdom cogs now form a pretty easy target to board for the enemies transport fleets, who attempt to start boarding

Meanwhile, both fishing fleets are making a circumvening motion. One is intercepted by another Sea raider, while the other maneuvered in an excellent position to attack the enemy transport fleet. The sea raider, not looking to make the same mistake the others had, urge their whale to attempt to capsize the enemy ship. It's not succesfull, but the ship is mildly damaged.

Tryrar reinforcement roll:  [2] Seems like reinforcements are a pretty long way off.

Spoiler: Description of area (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: UR (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tryrar (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2013, 04:28:57 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tactics: UR[17] vs Try[16]

The sea raiders secure ropes to the enemy war cogs, preventing it from easily escaping. Boarding operations begin shortly thereafter, as one of the transport fleets comes alongside. A bloody battle soon occurs on the decks, but the War cogs appear to hold their ground, for now.

The other transport was intercepted by one of the fishing boats, who managed to damage it before they themselves were intercepted. The fishing fleet managed to nimbly avoid the enemy attacks, however.

The other fishing fleet quickly made way to the harbor.

Reinforcement roll [13-2]: Some militia arrive. It does appear that the rest is still a long way off.

[/quote]

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2013, 05:26:42 pm »

Initiative rolls : 9 vs 13

The Kingdom's fishing fleet quickly returns from the harbor, having made some hasty, and ultimately not that usefull, repairs in port. Both it and the other fleet once again attack the transports. Heavily damaging them. The fight has now turned into a heap of ship's clasped together, and the use of fire as a desperate move
by the Kingdom's is having it's effects. One of the enemy transport fleets and a sea raider catch on fire, but the fire spreads rapidly to the war cogs, before they can loosen themselves. The fire, or maybe the abundance of ships, seems also to aggrevate one of the whales. It throws itself onto the fishing ship, sinking it.

The enemy boarding teams, together with the fire, whittle down the War cogs resolve. The crew hastily abandons ship, swimming for the nearest harbor.

Reinforcements[12-2]: No reinforcements are to be seen. They should be arriving soon though.

((I need to make some modifications to the battle system. It's way to slow.))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 04:42:02 am »

Try to calm down the whales

Burning sea raiders to fight their fire

Abandon burning transport, move all spear-men and crew to the war cogs, not burning transport to aid in fighting the fire. If that successful, use whales from abandoned transport to tow the cog

Not burning Sea raiders to  guard others from attack while they are busy
with firefighting

Should we defeat the fire, start full retreat with damaged sea raider and transport aid cog to retreat and undamaged sea raiders to guard the retreating task force

Should I lose the cog together with spearmen revenge plan to be initiated... Both  Sea raiders will stay for a while attacking anything that tries to go from the port\any naval reinforcements, while remaining transport to pick up as many surviving spearmen as it can and  go home trying to  get boost in speed, using whales from both transports

Keep up the use of fire, focusing on the transport still intact. It doesn't matter if I lose my fleets as long as I can set them on fire in return, effectively making this a draw(I can always build more!). On that note, have the militias improvise some fire rafts for usage if/when the Whala fleets try to breach the harbor.

Initiative roll: UR[20] vs [11]

The battle in the harbor seems to be breaking up rapidly, as fire rages amongst the ships. The stricken transport ship soon turns into a blazing fire, and the spearmen on board only barely escape to the captured War cogs. The whales still haven't calmed down, and break up the last enemy ship with a well aimed smash, before they can get close enough to set the other enemy transport alight.

The fire does take it's toll though, damaging the sea raider before it's put out, and almost destroying the captured war cog. Nevertheless, Whala has captured it's price and sets out for open sea.

Reinforcement roll: [20] : 2*Experimental Catapult ((Not that it matters, but anyway))

((OK, that went faster than expected, but Whala kinda aced several rolls, one-shotting the fishing fleet before it could do anything.))

Results:
  -Whala captured 1 war cog unit, looses 5 production points (Transport ship)
  -Kingdom gains 7 production points salvage. 5 production points used to repair fishing ships.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 04:49:49 am »

((SHEEEEETTT, forgot about dis.)

Council member of science is working hard with the help of the villagers on discovering the details behind selective breeding. He feels that his efforts will soon pay off.
>Keep researching "Selective Breeding"

Council member of war is worried about the lack of findings in our area but the findings of wolf footprints is troublesome. The wolves must be tracked and be discovered and additional scouts are to be trained. Another thing that the scouts reported is that the local herds are smaller, hopefully the wolves are causing it.
> send both scouts to find the wolves.
> Mounted archers patrol the village surroundings in close proximity of Neryuvur
> Train one more unit of Cheetah Scouts ( I'm not sure about this since with the current actions i will need 13? production but i have 11. However i will gain 4 production next turn. Can i use 2 of that production for the action and gain 2 the next turn?)

Council member of magic pursues his goals further of domesticating the fire salamander by using harmless magic & food.
> Attempt to 'befriend' the fire salamander, do not trespass it's nest though.

Council member of food tracked the research done into 'selective breeding', the outcome seems promising so more livestock farms are to be made. But his choice changed after the council member of construction discussed that we shouldn't stop increasing our production as it will be crucial in our village's future development.
> Construct ranch village
Durrr..

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 06:36:51 am »

Current Season: Summer*
*Seasons are strange here, and partly random

Council member of science is working hard with the help of the villagers on discovering the details behind selective breeding. He feels that his efforts will soon pay off.
>Keep researching "Selective Breeding"

Council member of war is worried about the lack of findings in our area but the findings of wolf footprints is troublesome. The wolves must be tracked and be discovered and additional scouts are to be trained. Another thing that the scouts reported is that the local herds are smaller, hopefully the wolves are causing it.
> send both scouts to find the wolves.
> Mounted archers patrol the village surroundings in close proximity of Neryuvur
> Train one more unit of Cheetah Scouts ( I'm not sure about this since with the current actions i will need 13? production but i have 11. However i will gain 4 production next turn. Can i use 2 of that production for the action and gain 2 the next turn?)

Council member of magic pursues his goals further of domesticating the fire salamander by using harmless magic & food.
> Attempt to 'befriend' the fire salamander, do not trespass it's nest though.

Council member of food tracked the research done into 'selective breeding', the outcome seems promising so more livestock farms are to be made. But his choice changed after the council member of construction discussed that we shouldn't stop increasing our production as it will be crucial in our village's future development.
> Construct ranch village
((I don't exactly get the question, but you did manage to recruit your unit, so ...))

Selective breeding is successfully premiered. Over time this can result in better populations of livestock animals, and it also allows us to specialize our herds.

The scouts manage to easily track and discover the wolves. It's an unusually large group for the often solidary plain wolves, and they are of approximately equal number to your scouts.

The council member of magic attempts to befriend the fire salamander, but can't find it. He does find the remainder of it's nest though. Apparently, the eggs have hatched, and the salamander has changed it's territory. A sure sign that fall can't be far away.

A new livestock village is constructed.

>With the disaster at sea chalked up to the capriciousness of the Mon Goddess and the tides, there is only one recourse, recall the fleet currently guarding the trade route for R&R and to guard the city. The King sends his messenger boats out with this order.
>With the population growing, and in view of the loss of the archers, Jewelport needs to organize the various watchmen into a City Guard. The Guardsmen are issued trishulas(slightly stylized fishing tridents, still perfectly capable as a weapon) and blue-green tabards, and drilled as a unit. (create a squad of Guardsmen)
>An ambitious minor noble has heard of the wonderous city of Torkal, situated near a river on the mainland. He has organized a small expedition to locate this city and open relations with it, with the blessing of the King.(diplomatic mission to Torkal)
>A man interesting in the art of glassmaking has come to the city, and petitioned the king to locate suitable sandpits for glassworks. The King, recalling the failure to trade with Whala do to the lack of anything to really trade with, sends the new Guardsmen on a scouting mission on the island to locate such pure sands, with the man as a guide to let them know what to look for.
>The trade fleet is sent back fishing to feed the growing population.
>The guild if Innovation and Industry continues its work on ship-mounted artillery, which is even more urgent now that the fleets have been cut in half due to the storm, and also due to the fact that Jewelport lacks the lumber at the moment to build more....
>The engineers determine that the size of the project is too much for the city to build normally, so they turn to the magicians to invoke the ancient rites of construction, like the ones that built the harbor.(didn't want to, but I'm invoking magical construction to get this done, otherwise this will take forever and all my resources for something I THOUGHT was gonna be minor!)

After the battle in the port, a renewed focus is laid upon the defense of the city. The defensive walls project is finished (I recalibrated costs), and a mission is send overseas to seek out new allies. The envoy reaches Torkal intact, and negotiations started on a good term. Precise details of any possible agreement are unsure.

Your engineers also reveal the first prototype of ship mounted artillery. The pieces can also be installed on land if need be, and are pretty powerful. However, they can easily be damaged if they get too close to the battle.

Population grows.
Spoiler: Bright Sea Kingdom (click to show/hide)

Build one more  whale breeding village

Raise one more unit of spearmen

Keep the egg and wait for results

Try to unlock aggressive military doctrine[/b]

After the result of the devastating attack on the damaged ships are brought back into the harbor. Another spearmen is recruited, bringing the amount of military forces involved in the Whalian society to an absolute high.

The egg doesn't appear to be hatching yet. In fact, the cold seems to be weakening.

Scouts continue scouting.

Construct a Research Institution (Council of the Learned)

The scouts are attacked by a horde of dragonfire ants. They survived, but many are wounded.

The council of the learned convened, and has started proposing interesting ideas.

Spoiler:  T'Ango (click to show/hide)

-Have the temple studied closely by archeologists, to catalog everything about the temple
-Have one fire wand squad continue exploring, the other will defend
-If the Bright Sea Kingdom's diplomatic mission reaches Torkal, attempt to get good relations with them
-Construct another farming village
-Torkal's artificers will look into developing the tools and skills needed for Mining

The tribal elders carefully examine the exterior of the temple. The engravings, though damaged by time and burnt by fire, are still readable. They show how a creature, looking vaguely humanoid, but depicted much larger than the humans surrounding it, emerged from the earth; The next engraving shows humans bowing to the creature, while on the edges of the engraving other strange animals and horrors are attacking humans. The last engraving shows the creature in something that vaguely resembles this temple, but it's heavily damaged.

Another firewand squad discovers a surface deposit of malachite, indicating copper to be nearby. Malachite is known to have some magical properties, if handled right.

Our artificers have come up with tools to reach for said copper, which they suspect to be hidden underground.

Population grows.

The subjugation of the Khimidogi* tribe is not universally welcomed. Some tribes have argued that the newly conquered town drained much of their younger boys looking for a more settled lifestyle, and thus is a threat to the Oedogi way of life, and the existence of the Oedogi as a significant force. Some, especially the Fox clan, think that there is nothing incomparable, and if these Khimidogi shows that they are as capable as anyone else, they should be allowed to properly become one of the Oedogi tribes.

Try to assimilate culturally the new village
Invite Khimidogis to participate in the warrior games of Oedogi. See how their practices are different to Oedogi, and what the Oedogi can benefit from it.

Understanding that the seasons are magical, the Eagle tribe argued that perhaps they should set up a scholarly institution to further understand it. Precisely they should look at the winds, stars, skies, and anything magical, so the well-being of the Oedogi herds can be further preserved

Setup research institution

The confirmed subjugation of a Khimidogi village means that there must be more of them.
2 Oedogi Light Cavalry continue to scout, explore, scour the land, while trying to conquer/subjugate anyone else.
The slingers and the other light Cavalry should defend the place.

For the defending cavalry unit, they should be donned in heavier armor, as defenders of static units won't have the luxury of expanse and speed, and for prestige.

Combine Copper+Mounted Troops+Breeding Lv1 to make a new kind of Heavy Mounted Infantry as guards unit

*Khimidogi means lizard-man-BELONG, or mans of Lizard in the Oedogi language. That is a pejorative used by the Oedogi (that is horse-man-BELONG, or man of horse) to signify their superiority.

Cultural assimilation of the Khimidogi is troubling. The Khimidogi do not ride any animals, and are generally an non nomadic society. Many are a little bit frightened by the animals, though some of the younger members of their town seem to take up your traditions quite well, though this causes problems on both sides of the exchange.

The steppes are empty, and no one is to be seen. A strange omen, that does not bode well for the future. And for the success of the scouts;

((Invention requires 4 points))

Population increases.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:46:13 pm by 10ebbor10 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 07:59:52 am »

>The King orders as many new ships incorporating the new artillery as can be built at this time. After hte attack by the treacherous whale people, We need to rebuild our fleets to defend our islands.(also, the trade route is canceled)

>With suitable sand discovered, the glassmaker has permission to set up furnaces for producing glass goods.

>The King's envoy to Torkal is authorized to set up trade of both material and knowledge. We must have allies that we can trust, so to that end magicians knowledgeable in our secret art of arcane construction have been dispatched to offer to teach to the Torkal council(in exchange for like knowledge, of course!)(I want to trade Magical Construction for Enchantment: Failing that, I'll send some trade goods for whatever resources you can spare)

>The King wants estimates from the engineers for the costs of adding light artillery towers to the harbor fortifications.

>With the growth of the population, the time has come to add a fishing village to one of the nearby islands to feed the people.

>The guardsmen will continue to drill across the island, while keeping an eye out for anything interesting

>The Guild of Invention and Industry has started collaboration with the mages on a project of inscribing magical spells into objects. This might lead to interesting applications for warfare....(Start researching runes)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:03:18 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 08:26:47 am »

Captured Cogs were throughly studied and analyzed, that way to use wind with that strange thing called sail considered to be a very interesting way to increase speed, tire whales less and, after all, having a navy that requires no shamans to handle is something that intrigues many Whala
Try to get innovation point(s)\+1 level of sea travel from studying the prize\If possible combine it with my 2 invention points to make Travel by Sea + Aggressive military doctrine invention:fast sailing ships

In the same time, learning from mistakes of the last battle, the new unit was formed:  boarding veterans were attached to their prize as a fulltime crew.

Merge -Spearmen [HP:1/2 Attack:2, Defense 1] and War cogs  [HP: 1/3, Attack:2, Defense:2  Trait: Naval unit, Captured Unit] into one unit. Do necessary repairs, hire more crew,  change spears to weapons more suited for boarding teams, train some whales to act as a secondary propulsion for the new unit

Sea raiders had some dangerous work this season, too. The one that escaped undamaged was tasked to patrol Kingdom's fishing and trading lines picking up weaker targets and  avoiding warships or going near the shore, while another stayed in the port
One unit of sea raiders to do some anti-kingdom piracy\harassment but keep away from hard battles, Another, the damaged one, to stay at the port.

Hoping that Egg is still capable to give life, and worried that creature can be dangerous, it was placed few miles from the city and warriors were attached to guard it
One unit of spearmen to take care for the egg (mostly to keep it warm) and be ready to fight if it is turn to be hostile.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:05:34 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 08:49:11 am »

Year 3, Oedogi Camp

Nomads are a strange breed. If they are kept separate for most of the time and only coming together for a meeting, then things would usually fare well. But if they are brought together for most of them time, their differences will spring up and it will be a brewing pot for troubles.

At Oedogi Camp, in additional to the seasonal grand Tuat(*1) and the people who takes care of the area, a few elaborate Tuats have sprung up, each with totems or signs of an animal or bird. The Oedogis call it the Circle of elders, as the tribes has agreed that somehow the various tribe leaders should come close to discuss the matters of the land and herd. The meetings are usually held in rotation between each hut, and it is the job of the host to decide the agenda, to signify that each tribe is equal to each other.

Recently, the Oedogis subjugated a tribe of Khimidogis, and the Oedogi prejudice/bigotry is so strong that they don't even try to understand the language, or know the name of the tribe, and insist that they should be known as the "Khimidogi" which is Lizard's Men. Usually meetings are held with only the assigned leaders present, in addition to a scribe nominated by the host and occasionally his house-servants, all Oedogis of course.

The trouble comes when it is Fox Tribe's turn to hold the meeting. This time, however, their nominated scribe is clearly a Khimidogi: he is much taller, his muscle composition is so different, and he wears the traditional Khimidogi garbs. The other leaders are outraged, and demanded the scribe replaced, or there should be no meeting today. However, the Khimidogi writes and speaks good Oedogi, and while it makes hime perfectly capable of taking up the job, the other Oedogi tribes are even more outraged by this act of travesty, as this means that he could sooner or later be mistaken as an Oedogi, and as a result their bloodline would be diluted by those of lizards.

With the insistence of the other tribes, fox, like their totem, backed down and replaced the scribe. However, for the next meeting, the fox send out a message, that the meeting would be held instead at the ground which the grand tuat is usually risen up, and tell them to bring a warrior or two to the meeting. They found out that the Fox tribe had arranged a Khimidogi, riding on a horse appropriate for his size, and while wearing Khimidogi garbs adjusted for riding, he is seen wearing a sling and the Oedogi blade. The other tribes, are furious of this, as the blade signified adulthood of any Oedogi, and that means he is pretending to be one.

The warriors of the other tribes challenged him to battle, partly for Oedogi esteem, and partly at the encouragement of everyone else. The first one rode head on, but at a distance of ten paces he was struck off the horse a stone from the sling. He was only unconscious for a brief moment, but his honor is shattered. The others cried foul, and told the Khimidogi not to use slings, and surprisingly he obliged. The second challenger rode head on with his sword drawn (on the business end), only to find the Khimidogi's arm much stronger than his, and knocked his sword off.

With this, the other tribes found the strongest Oedogi in town, and they fought. It was said that their fight lasted for a few days, and while its certainly an exaggeration, the particular Khimidogi proved as capable as an Oedogi, both on saddle and on foot.

His feat is known all over Oedogi: the tradition of Mounted Khimidogis, who are good both at range and in melee, is born.

Mine the Slingers for innovation points. Study weaponry, organization, language, and try to squeeze some tech from it.

Combine Slingers + Mounted Troops + Cavalry Doctrine to create Mounted Slingers/Archers depending on GM's wishes; do not build yet

With the increased acceptance (while not complete) of Khimidogis among the Oedogis, military exchange is increased, and the tribes agreed make the institution of the Grand Tuat perennial, which will also work somehow similar to a barracks, but still doubles as a cultural institution at appropriate times of the year.

Build Grand Tuat, which is somehow a Barracks

2 Light Cavalry continue to scout and scour the land; with standing military training and organization the job should be done much easier. Concentrate on the edge of the Oedogi Plains, particularly along mountains and Forests.

Transform the Slinger to the new kind of unit, if possible and within costs.

(*1) Oedogi language for Tepee
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:53:54 am by evilcherry »

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2013, 09:13:12 am »

Council member of War is worried about the wolf pack size, but the disappearance of the salamander makes it worse. He ordered the drafting of trappers to catch wildlife.
> Send 1 scout to maintain observation on wolves
> Send 1 scout to track salamanders
> Send 1 scout into the mountains.
> Mounted archers maintain patrol in close proximity of the village and as close as possible to the scouts observing the wolves.
> Train 1 Cheetah Scout
> Create new unit and train it. Trappers: (Higher chance to catch wildlife & better skilled against fighting wildlife (+something if fighting wildlife))

Council member of magic is disappointed that he couldn't try out his magic, however he continues to refine his magic for the next encounter.
> Magic idea: Calm/non-aggression/pacifism spells for animals. (Druidism,Illusion magic probably)

Council member of science is satisfied with the recent discovery and tries to devise a special project which would make our current livestock healthier, meatier and more durable to temperature changes.
> Special breeding project: Seasonal coats (Livestock Animals change their coat more rapidly depending on temperature change and become slightly bigger/healthier)
Durrr..

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 04:57:25 pm »

The content of the engravings on the exterior of the ancient temple worried the Grand Council greatly, so it was decided that the spells and power source needed to be scrutinised more carefully. In addition, the people doing the studying were placed under armed guard to protect against the enemies that the engravings warned of.
-Attempt to study the spells and power source in the temple. Place the temple under guard by a fire wand squad.
As their explorations had been successful in the recent past, the council ordered part of Torkal's army to continue looking for interesting things.
-Have the other fire wand squad continue exploring
Because this left the guardians of Torkal somewhat understrength, further expansions to the army were authorised, this time utilising the elemental powers of lightning in an attempt to get attacks with more accuracy and less collateral damage (and also to diversify the army's capabilities somewhat)
-Recruit a squad of elemental wand wielders, this time using lightning instead of fire
The discovery of a deposit of copper-bearing ore was a great boon to Torkal, and several rich artificers quickly gained mining licenses and set up mines to feed Torkal's enchantment workshops with copper.
-If possible, construct a mine to exploit the malachite deposit
In the midst of all this, the diplomatic envoy from the Bright Sea Kingdom that arrived a few months ago made an intriguing suggestion to the Council: that the Kingdom's construction mages would instruct Torkal in some of the theory and mechanics of magical construction in exchange for Torkal's artificers conferring some of their knowledge of enchantments to the Kingdom's mages. Since the Council was quite interested by reports of large and complex structures being assembled quickly in the Kingdom, this offer was quickly accepted.
-Accept the Bright Sea Kingdom's offer of trade (Enchantment for Magical Construction)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:52:26 am by RulerOfNothing »

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2013, 05:18:05 pm »

The T'Ango continued to prosper, and looked to their council of elders to improve their capabilities further.

Research the secrets of Travel by Ground

Scouts rest, Hunters attempt to bring down these Dragonfire Ants. Or drive them from our lands

Production: Another Lumber Camp
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2013, 10:13:59 pm »

Request turn hold until some agreement is worked out.

Edit:

The Oedogi decides that the nearby Whala is worth a visit, so the scouts will instead work towards Whala, escorting an envoy team. If there is still time left they shall see the forests and mountains and else near Oedogi.

Lifting Hold.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:23:43 am by evilcherry »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2013, 05:37:11 pm »

Current Season: Fall*
*Seasons are strange here, and partly random

Council member of War is worried about the wolf pack size, but the disappearance of the salamander makes it worse. He ordered the drafting of trappers to catch wildlife.
> Send 1 scout to maintain observation on wolves
> Send 1 scout to track salamanders
> Send 1 scout into the mountains.
> Mounted archers maintain patrol in close proximity of the village and as close as possible to the scouts observing the wolves.
> Train 1 Cheetah Scout [Cancelled, not enough supporting population. Need 1 free pop unit for each 4 units]
> Create new unit and train it. Trappers: (Higher chance to catch wildlife & better skilled against fighting wildlife (+something if fighting wildlife))
[Cancelled: Not enough supporting population]

Council member of magic is disappointed that he couldn't try out his magic, however he continues to refine his magic for the next encounter.
> Magic idea: Calm/non-aggression/pacifism spells for animals. (Druidism,Illusion magic probably) [Druidism, but that's next turn, not now.]

Council member of science is satisfied with the recent discovery and tries to devise a special project which would make our current livestock healthier, meatier and more durable to temperature changes.
> Special breeding project: Seasonal coats (Livestock Animals change their coat more rapidly depending on temperature change and become slightly bigger/healthier)

The seasons have passed into fall. Truly, winter can't be far off now. Due to an early fall storm, our scouts lost tracks of the wolves. Disappearing livestock grazing further from the village does indicate that they're still here. Our other scouts do manage to track the salamander, and it's 3 younglings. It's heading deeper into the mountains, and appears to be keeping a steady pace. It won't be long before it's out of our reach completely. In another part of the mountains, one of our scouts manages to find a copper ore deposit.

Breeding, and some minor magical assistance, have started to give their first results. It might take some time before the effects manifest themselves.

>The King orders as many new ships incorporating the new artillery as can be built at this time. After hte attack by the treacherous whale people, We need to rebuild our fleets to defend our islands.(also, the trade route is canceled)

>With suitable sand discovered, the glassmaker has permission to set up furnaces for producing glass goods.

>The King's envoy to Torkal is authorized to set up trade of both material and knowledge. We must have allies that we can trust, so to that end magicians knowledgeable in our secret art of arcane construction have been dispatched to offer to teach to the Torkal council(in exchange for like knowledge, of course!)(I want to trade Magical Construction for Enchantment: Failing that, I'll send some trade goods for whatever resources you can spare)

>The King wants estimates from the engineers for the costs of adding light artillery towers to the harbor fortifications.

>With the growth of the population, the time has come to add a fishing village to one of the nearby islands to feed the people.

>The guardsmen will continue to drill across the island, while keeping an eye out for anything interesting

>The Guild of Invention and Industry has started collaboration with the mages on a project of inscribing magical spells into objects. This might lead to interesting applications for warfare....(Start researching runes)

[You're quite a lot of production short to complete these actions. Automatically using magical construction to make up for the gaps.]

A single ship is constructed. It has build in naval catapults, explaining why they're slightly weaker than their fully sized counterparts. (Constructing those would involve building them and a ship seperatly, doubling production costs).

Trade starts of without a hitch, and picks up slowly.

Cost estimates are minimal. Chances required are little, and the only cost is the cost of the artillery itself. (Note: If you're going for a static defense, then people manning the equipment are not included.)

A fishing village and a glassblower are constructed. Population is spread thin however, and production is hampered as a result.

Spoiler: Bright Sea Kingdom (click to show/hide)

Captured Cogs were throughly studied and analyzed, that way to use wind with that strange thing called sail considered to be a very interesting way to increase speed, tire whales less and, after all, having a navy that requires no shamans to handle is something that intrigues many Whala
Try to get innovation point(s)\+1 level of sea travel from studying the prize\If possible combine it with my 2 invention points to make Travel by Sea + Aggressive military doctrine invention:fast sailing ships

In the same time, learning from mistakes of the last battle, the new unit was formed:  boarding veterans were attached to their prize as a fulltime crew.

Merge -Spearmen [HP:1/2 Attack:2, Defense 1] and War cogs  [HP: 1/3, Attack:2, Defense:2  Trait: Naval unit, Captured Unit] into one unit. Do necessary repairs, hire more crew,  change spears to weapons more suited for boarding teams, train some whales to act as a secondary propulsion for the new unit

Sea raiders had some dangerous work this season, too. The one that escaped undamaged was tasked to patrol Kingdom's fishing and trading lines picking up weaker targets and  avoiding warships or going near the shore, while another stayed in the port
One unit of sea raiders to do some anti-kingdom piracy\harassment but keep away from hard battles, Another, the damaged one, to stay at the port.

Hoping that Egg is still capable to give life, and worried that creature can be dangerous, it was placed few miles from the city and warriors were attached to guard it
One unit of spearmen to take care for the egg (mostly to keep it warm) and be ready to fight if it is turn to be hostile.

The captured cogs, while certainly interesting, provide little actual value to the Whala. The basic idea of the sail had been proposed long ago, and often dismissed. However, the cogs themselves are too heavily damaged to learn about the intricacies of their working. The rigging has almost completely been burnt up, sails have been torn, the deck has splintered in various places and the mast has been damaged by a surprise gale. Repairing it might be troubling. For now, a couple of whales are towing it, but it isn't exactly the fastest solution.

Our sea raider manages to harras the enemy trade, which appears to go to another nation on the mainland. The other unit heals.

The egg is placed out of town, with the order to keep it warm. This is somewhat troubling however, as it appears to emit an aura of cold on it's own. Suddenly, when a fire is lighted a little to close to the eggs, the shell cracks and a frost wyvern emerges, and freezes it instantly. It does not attack any of the soldiers, who after a hitch or 2 manage to give it some stuff to eat. The wyvern is quite small (dogsized), and incapable of flight. You're not sure if this has anything to do with your actions.

The T'Ango continued to prosper, and looked to their council of elders to improve their capabilities further.

Research the secrets of Travel by Ground

Scouts rest, Hunters attempt to bring down these Dragonfire Ants. Or drive them from our lands

Production: Another Lumber Camp

One has to fight fire with fire. A few smokepots should serve to drive the ants from their nests. That's what the hunters though anyway. It turned out less usefull than that, and the ants were pretty upset. The hunters were mildly injured.

Spoiler:  T'Ango (click to show/hide)

The content of the engravings on the exterior of the ancient temple worried the Grand Council greatly, so it was decided that the spells and power source needed to be scrutinised more carefully. In addition, the people doing the studying were placed under armed guard to protect against the enemies that the engravings warned of.
-Attempt to study the spells and power source in the temple. Place the temple under guard by a fire wand squad.
As their explorations had been successful in the recent past, the council ordered part of Torkal's army to continue looking for interesting things.
-Have the other fire wand squad continue exploring
Because this left the guardians of Torkal somewhat understrength, further expansions to the army were authorised, this time utilising the elemental powers of lightning in an attempt to get attacks with more accuracy and less collateral damage (and also to diversify the army's capabilities somewhat)
-Recruit a squad of elemental wand wielders, this time using lightning instead of fire [Electricity is not one of the 4 classical elements]
The discovery of a deposit of copper-bearing ore was a great boon to Torkal, and several rich artificers quickly gained mining licenses and set up mines to feed Torkal's enchantment workshops with copper.
-If possible, construct a mine to exploit the malachite deposit
In the midst of all this, the diplomatic envoy from the Bright Sea Kingdom that arrived a few months ago made an intriguing suggestion to the Council: that the Kingdom's construction mages would instruct Torkal in some of the theory and mechanics of magical construction in exchange for Torkal's artificers conferring some of their knowledge of enchantments to the Kingdom's mages. Since the Council was quite interested by reports of large and complex structures being assembled quickly in the Kingdom, this offer was quickly accepted.
-Accept the Bright Sea Kingdom's offer of trade (Enchantment for Magical Construction)

The spells and the origin of the powersource are studied, but to no avail. No new information comes up. It might be beneficial for someone to enter the temple, but at the moment this is considered quite dangerous.

The other squad continues their exploration, and manages to find a small, but dying grove of firewood. It's rumoured to have certain qualities, but all firewood trees die when the winter comes.

The trade goes excellent.

Year 3, Oedogi Camp

Nomads are a strange breed. If they are kept separate for most of the time and only coming together for a meeting, then things would usually fare well. But if they are brought together for most of them time, their differences will spring up and it will be a brewing pot for troubles.

At Oedogi Camp, in additional to the seasonal grand Tuat(*1) and the people who takes care of the area, a few elaborate Tuats have sprung up, each with totems or signs of an animal or bird. The Oedogis call it the Circle of elders, as the tribes has agreed that somehow the various tribe leaders should come close to discuss the matters of the land and herd. The meetings are usually held in rotation between each hut, and it is the job of the host to decide the agenda, to signify that each tribe is equal to each other.

Recently, the Oedogis subjugated a tribe of Khimidogis, and the Oedogi prejudice/bigotry is so strong that they don't even try to understand the language, or know the name of the tribe, and insist that they should be known as the "Khimidogi" which is Lizard's Men. Usually meetings are held with only the assigned leaders present, in addition to a scribe nominated by the host and occasionally his house-servants, all Oedogis of course.

The trouble comes when it is Fox Tribe's turn to hold the meeting. This time, however, their nominated scribe is clearly a Khimidogi: he is much taller, his muscle composition is so different, and he wears the traditional Khimidogi garbs. The other leaders are outraged, and demanded the scribe replaced, or there should be no meeting today. However, the Khimidogi writes and speaks good Oedogi, and while it makes hime perfectly capable of taking up the job, the other Oedogi tribes are even more outraged by this act of travesty, as this means that he could sooner or later be mistaken as an Oedogi, and as a result their bloodline would be diluted by those of lizards.

With the insistence of the other tribes, fox, like their totem, backed down and replaced the scribe. However, for the next meeting, the fox send out a message, that the meeting would be held instead at the ground which the grand tuat is usually risen up, and tell them to bring a warrior or two to the meeting. They found out that the Fox tribe had arranged a Khimidogi, riding on a horse appropriate for his size, and while wearing Khimidogi garbs adjusted for riding, he is seen wearing a sling and the Oedogi blade. The other tribes, are furious of this, as the blade signified adulthood of any Oedogi, and that means he is pretending to be one.

The warriors of the other tribes challenged him to battle, partly for Oedogi esteem, and partly at the encouragement of everyone else. The first one rode head on, but at a distance of ten paces he was struck off the horse a stone from the sling. He was only unconscious for a brief moment, but his honor is shattered. The others cried foul, and told the Khimidogi not to use slings, and surprisingly he obliged. The second challenger rode head on with his sword drawn (on the business end), only to find the Khimidogi's arm much stronger than his, and knocked his sword off.

With this, the other tribes found the strongest Oedogi in town, and they fought. It was said that their fight lasted for a few days, and while its certainly an exaggeration, the particular Khimidogi proved as capable as an Oedogi, both on saddle and on foot.

His feat is known all over Oedogi: the tradition of Mounted Khimidogis, who are good both at range and in melee, is born.

Mine the Slingers for innovation points. Study weaponry, organization, language, and try to squeeze some tech from it.

Combine Slingers + Mounted Troops + Cavalry Doctrine to create Mounted Slingers/Archers depending on GM's wishes; do not build yet

With the increased acceptance (while not complete) of Khimidogis among the Oedogis, military exchange is increased, and the tribes agreed make the institution of the Grand Tuat perennial, which will also work somehow similar to a barracks, but still doubles as a cultural institution at appropriate times of the year.

Build Grand Tuat, which is somehow a Barracks

2 Light Cavalry continue to scout and scour the land; with standing military training and organization the job should be done much easier. Concentrate on the edge of the Oedogi Plains, particularly along mountains and Forests.

Transform the Slinger to the new kind of unit, if possible and within costs.

(*1) Oedogi language for Tepee

A basic understanding of ranged weaponry is gathered from the slingers, but no more, and no less.

The Grand Tuat has become a more important event.

The storms and gales of fall make exploration difficult. The Oedogi do believe they've spotted another tribe, though these have better defenses.

((Sorry for low quality. Ran out of time))
[/quote]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 05:01:31 am by 10ebbor10 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2013, 10:22:00 pm »

With the failure to get any useful information about the prize and rumors about new, powerful ships under construction reached the ears of Whala it was understood that war will be long and it will be bloody and planning for it started to come to life, best minds of the nation started to improve training of sailors destined to win the war, not only they trained to survive in harshest conditions, to board, to fight until death, to raid land cities and to hunt wild whales (it was decided to bring wild whales down to free food resources for domesticated ones) but they learned rituals to get power from death, be it a hunted whale, enemy sailor or a fallen comrade.
Wearing bone amulets, using skull helnmets and weapons from a sharpened bones and dressed in black clothes made from the skin of the darkest whales, they are destined to bring fear in hearts of enemies

Try do develop a new innovation: Sailors of death: Travel by sea+Aggressive doctrine+Division of labor+Necromancy

In the same time, construction of a grand cemetery started, one centralized place to bury all whala and skulls of the most notable whales

Build a grand cemetery: Popless project to get anything of - bonus to necromancy rolls\innovation points\mana source

Using the experience in taming whales, Whala tried to tame the Wywern, tame, and train as a war machine. It's ability to swim would be tested, too
All mana not spent on the above projects goes to the taming of the Wywern. Also, spend up to 2 units of food for feeding it, if needed

With the weather worsening it was decided that Piracy is unadvicable, instead both of sea raiders started to hunt wild whales, bringing youngsters to tame and killing adults for war resources... Yet that was made in friendly waters to conserve resources, don't risk ships and be ready for sneak attacks... Cogs stayed in the port without further repairs as leaders decided what to do with them
Sea raiders to Hunt for whales in friendly waters, try to not spend much mana as it is needed for the wywern\cemetery

Same can't be said about adventurous group of spearmen followed  went south, to the lands of Oedogi. Actually, with winter approaching, those arctic people went to milder climate...
Rumors about valorous tribes  reached even The Northern Whala lands. They desired fortune, loot and military knowledge. They had what to share, and they had what to learn. They offered a practical knowledge about warriors that have no other profession but war and aggression that needed in offensive warfare, they learned about slings and techniques of breeding ideal horses

Send one unit of spearmen to Oedogi to serve as a mercenary unit* for 1\3 of the loot from any battle they participate in(if rejected: go home. If attacked fight to the death :)
Additionally: Tech trade offer to Oedogi:
Aggressive doctrine and Division of Labour for Ranged Doctrine and Breeding (division of labor and breeding is the first priority trade, doctrines are secondary)
Use 2 unit of food, to ensure that Spearmen don't starve during their trip

Finally, try to reach an agreement of mutual friendship and non-aggression

*That means unit will be under Evilcherry's control as long as I don't recall it or he sends it back

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 03:14:55 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5