Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannot build a floor adjacent to a wall?  (Read 464 times)

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cannot build a floor adjacent to a wall?
« on: November 02, 2013, 04:38:29 pm »

Not sure why this is happening, would love an explanation or work around if possible.  I'm trying to build a floor over my outside area.  There is nothing else on the z-level on which I'm building my floor (except the existing floor at the tops of my walls of course).  I've connected the floor to the walls around my stairway but I cannot build floor next to other walls - it always leaves a 1 square gap and won't build there. Gives no message.

See the image for details, the square with the green X (and those near it) will not take a floor construction.

EDIT - WHOA, when the mosquitoes flew by (light grey square above to the left of the cursor) I was able to build in the space adjacent to them!!!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:40:59 pm by Oddible »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot build a floor adjacent to a wall?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 04:47:48 pm »

You can't designate a construction in an area that cannot be reached. Once a few of the already designated ones are built in a way that would allow your dwarves to reach the area, you will be able to build again.

Constructions will not be built diagonally, it must be built in a cardinal direction (N,E,S,W). This is to prevent accidental cave-ins.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot build a floor adjacent to a wall?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:16:57 pm »

Also, you can't build off of a wall if you don't have stairs leading to the top of it...