Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven swimming class  (Read 2004 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Dwarven swimming class
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:56:14 am »

While building a water pumping plant, I accidentally washed a bunch of babies into the carven lake, they seem to be doing remarkably well at not drowning... Are they going to be legendary swimmers when they turn into children and find their way out? assuming they don't starve before then...

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven swimming class
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 12:31:04 pm »

They should. I've been flooding my danger rooms regurally to make sure that my soldiers don't drown by dodging into rivers... They were legendary after few 2-3 weeks long sessions. However, they were moving around in the water because it had a current and they were dodging wooden spears. I dunno, but just sitting in the water like your kids do now could train them slower.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:59:36 pm »

I have done extensive testing and movement is not linked to training speed in water in fortress mode.

I trained my dwarfs by having them driven deep into a river by a minecart track (19 tiles is the furthest from shore which they will still path back to). When they are 1 tile away from shore they trigger a pressure plate which activates power and returns the minecart to the start position for someone else to ride in.

In theory you can deactivate pull/push vehicle when a dwarf is sufficiently trained... however they seem to ignore that labour at the moment and push anyway

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 04:33:21 pm »

It takes about six months of pump operating (the easiest skill to train constantly) before an adult becomes Legendary. Since babies don't eat or drink without their parents and don't sleep, I'd roughly guess that it'll take five months before a baby goes from no skill to Legendary Swimmer, by which time it will be long dead of dehydration.

I wonder if it'd be possible to semi-automate the process by taking advantage of the way that mothers drop their children to ride a minecart? Let the minecart go, flood the drop area while preventing access, and either drain it manually to restore access or put the drain on a timer.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 06:16:43 pm »

At this point, I'm hoping the path I'm building out into the lake works to get the babies back, otherwise it won't matter how good they are at swimming, they'll die of starvation or thirst...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 07:26:55 pm »

I'm not sure if a path will work.

You might be better off using a cavein to stop any more water from getting in, and then using another cavein to drop the water through the bottom of the cavern. You can dump it straight into the magma sea or a convenient magma pipe if you alter the init file to stop caveins from doing the announce-pause-recentre routine, though your FPS will take a hit while the last bits of water drain out.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 11:07:06 pm »

I'm not sure if a path will work.

You might be better off using a cavein to stop any more water from getting in, and then using another cavein to drop the water through the bottom of the cavern. You can dump it straight into the magma sea or a convenient magma pipe if you alter the init file to stop caveins from doing the announce-pause-recentre routine, though your FPS will take a hit while the last bits of water drain out.

I take it you've never heard the expression "Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater"

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 02:45:07 am »

They should. I've been flooding my danger rooms regurally to make sure that my soldiers don't drown by dodging into rivers... They were legendary after few 2-3 weeks long sessions. However, they were moving around in the water because it had a current and they were dodging wooden spears. I dunno, but just sitting in the water like your kids do now could train them slower.

Helluva training session

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 02:07:15 pm »

I take it you've never heard the expression "Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater"
You can put a grate in somewhere between the cavein tile and the drain.