Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Escapists ~Kickstarted!~  (Read 5121 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: The Escapists ~Kickstarted!~
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 02:02:54 am »

Looks awesome, probably will get it once it's released.
PTW
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 10:47:07 am »

This is at .75 and is coming along very well. Can't seem to actually break out through the venting system to save my life, unless you're not supposed to be able to yet. Otherwise I'm not sure how to break out.

Very alpha.

So far, it's a "being in prison" game, as it's alpha, I'll forgive this. But more features need to go in. Sooner rather than later. So far all you can really do as far as I'm aware is mess about in the prison where you have access to [no idea how to unlock doors] and follow the schedule. Level up your stuff [get to 70 intelligence the first day and take the license plate job for the most money, hoping there's other jobs late], attempt to break out through the vents as I have no idea how to get past doors.

Thing is, I can't seem to actually.. break out. I take 3 files and put them in the vents for when I eventually make my escape attempt, but whenever I'm through the second vent the patrol guards will notice a hole in the vent. There's no way to cover the vent back up once you're inside, nor is there a way to avoid having people tell the guards about it. So during the escape attempt your vent hole will be found usually no matter what. When you take a key from a guard it's reported within the next hour usually, so that's not an option.

Overall it's neat but very rough. Using items on stuff is weird, sometimes had to select items twice and do it again to activate. Otherwise it looks promising with all the skeletal bits implemented and now it needs the fleshing out. The crafting looks promising. I was able to make a grappling hook, but no idea how or what to use it for. Overall lots of neat little details, like you can take the blanket/pillow off your bed [for some reason.. the blanket can't be tied into a makeshift rope, either]. Pillows are deadly weapons somehow.

Day-in-day-out talks at rollcall can get irritating after the tenth time. Guess that's prison.

I really want to kill the warden though.

E: yeah, this is a necro, but I didn't feel like making a new one only to talk about the status of the alpha
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:55:52 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 07:22:00 am »

This is at .75 and is coming along very well. Can't seem to actually break out through the venting system to save my life, unless you're not supposed to be able to yet. Otherwise I'm not sure how to break out.

Very alpha.

So far, it's a "being in prison" game, as it's alpha, I'll forgive this. But more features need to go in. Sooner rather than later. So far all you can really do as far as I'm aware is mess about in the prison where you have access to [no idea how to unlock doors] and follow the schedule. Level up your stuff [get to 70 intelligence the first day and take the license plate job for the most money, hoping there's other jobs late], attempt to break out through the vents as I have no idea how to get past doors.

Thing is, I can't seem to actually.. break out. I take 3 files and put them in the vents for when I eventually make my escape attempt, but whenever I'm through the second vent the patrol guards will notice a hole in the vent. There's no way to cover the vent back up once you're inside, nor is there a way to avoid having people tell the guards about it. So during the escape attempt your vent hole will be found usually no matter what. When you take a key from a guard it's reported within the next hour usually, so that's not an option.

Overall it's neat but very rough. Using items on stuff is weird, sometimes had to select items twice and do it again to activate. Otherwise it looks promising with all the skeletal bits implemented and now it needs the fleshing out. The crafting looks promising. I was able to make a grappling hook, but no idea how or what to use it for. Overall lots of neat little details, like you can take the blanket/pillow off your bed [for some reason.. the blanket can't be tied into a makeshift rope, either]. Pillows are deadly weapons somehow.

Day-in-day-out talks at rollcall can get irritating after the tenth time. Guess that's prison.

I really want to kill the warden though.

E: yeah, this is a necro, but I didn't feel like making a new one only to talk about the status of the alpha

You can make a fake vent hole cover, you need crafting recipes to do things. And you can cover the bars of your room with bed sheets.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 11:11:57 am »

You can craft a fake vent cover using two lots of paper mache.

Make two lots of paper mache by mixing a toilet roll and some super glue twice, then combine the two lots of paper mache to make a vent cover. When you've taken the vent cover off in your cell (or wherever), stick the fake cover over and the guards won't spot it. It does have a use limit, so be careful or just make another to carry with you in case it breaks!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 01:44:31 pm »

You can dig out of prison too.
I managed it anyway.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 03:37:01 pm »

How? Some ways of doing things are so unintuitive so I'm not surprised that I wasn't doing it right when I tried.

I can't find putty for the life of me, though, which is needed to copy keys. And I assume escape in a variety of ways.

Wearing a guard suit adds to heat even at night after lockdown when noone should think anything of it. That's a bit odd to me, I can understand maybe heat increasing when a guard is near you and you're disguised, but not magically increasing your heat just for wearing the costume out of sight of anyone.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:41:17 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 04:00:01 pm »

Putty is toothpaste and talcum powder.

Digging out is done by digging down then digging a tunnel out. It's that easy.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 07:05:26 pm »

With what? A spoon...?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 02:03:41 am »

With what? A spoon...?

You couldn't do it with one spoon. You'd need a huge supply of them if you were going to use spoons, and some forks for chipping at rocks in the way too.

But it's much more sensible to use trowels and makeshift shovels for digging.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 03:27:55 pm »

Bringing this back to life because I wnat to talk about it.  I decided to give it a try, I like it a lot even though it can be kind of slow on occasion.  I'm going for the so classic it's cliche move.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's a few annoying things.  Your stats decay so fast it feels like you have to constantly work to keep them up, and there's a couple buggy quests.  Sometimes they give you a distraction mission for midday shakedown but there isn't one, I'm wondering if that's not a bug from a higher security prison.  I've only tried lowsec so far.
Shoes...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 03:33:21 pm »

...with a spoon? You'd be better off smuggling materials for a shovel. Even the basic shovel will get you a lot more digging done than a spoon.
I agree on the stat decay though. It gets tiring, to say the least.

And if we're talking about favourite escapes, mine was by assembling a collection of all the keys and pretty much just walking out at night and digging a tiny distance under the wall. Good times.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 03:45:46 pm »

Yeah, and I couldn't figure out how to move hte desk once I was underground so it didn't really work.  I'll have to find a different way to cover the hole if I'm doing it right out of my cell.
Shoes...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 03:48:26 pm »

Yeah, and I couldn't figure out how to move hte desk once I was underground so it didn't really work.  I'll have to find a different way to cover the hole if I'm doing it right out of my cell.
What about covering the bars of your cell at night. Guards won't ever actually enter the room, and they'll only take the curtains down if they dislike you.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2014, 04:18:00 pm »

It never occurred to me that I could do that.

That's the biggest problem I have right now, there's so much stuff you could do and there aren't many ways to figure out how to actually do it.
Shoes...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2014, 04:24:56 pm »

It never occurred to me that I could do that.

That's the biggest problem I have right now, there's so much stuff you could do and there aren't many ways to figure out how to actually do it.
Ahh the beauty of having fuck-all documentation.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 [2] 3