Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35

Author Topic: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]  (Read 39047 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]
« Reply #270 on: November 27, 2013, 03:18:05 pm »

It's Gastrodon taking a 4x effective hit by a physical grass type attack.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 27, 2013, 03:24:20 pm »

Vineraped. Not tentacles. Tentacles are poison type, which Gastrodon resists. Obviously.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 27, 2013, 09:02:32 pm »

I'll be hanging out on Showdown for the next 3 hours or so, although I think I only need to fight Rolepgeek for round 4.

Edit: Also, I was describing my Togekiss battles to my boyfriend and I realized that Togekiss has ended up burned in so many of the battles so far that in my head she's turned in to a flaming blur divebombing the enemy every round, taking time off periodically to roost and make mean plots. He responded that she probably has this huge grin on her face the whole time. "Diiieee nowww!!! :D"

Edit2: Any hope of getting an updated chart? I know it's work for you, but I'm curious and it helps me keep track of the tourney.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:45:15 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 27, 2013, 10:57:20 pm »

The strange boy was travelling along merrily, kicking at rocks and having the Deceiver of All imitate the cool things he saw, while the Lord floated his Guardian next to them. He was taking a look behind a ridgeline of rocks by the road, when he saw it.
Camerupt. A black and yellow Camerupt, clearly a kindred spirit to him. His coat was like a brilliant tuxedo, his face, like an emblem of the future to come. They would be the greatest duo in all the world. So the boy ran over to Camerupt, and climbed on it's back. The Camerupt took little notice.
"I think I'll call you...Mr. Rupt."

Spoiler: Stealth Rocks FTW (click to show/hide)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 28, 2013, 05:52:47 am »

on request, here is the updated scoreboard:

Now that the team core is set, Akroma is doing pretty good. The only problem is that her team struggles against fairies and specialy defensive mons - as demonstrated by Gardevoir and Togekiss. It remains to be seen is Camerupt will turn out to be a problem. Expect to see a counter to fairies next turn. All that remains is the battle against Rolepgeek, for a possible top-score of 40...but who knows how that will work out.

Culise, with the exception of the battles against Akroma, is on a winning streak. Already is he/she(?) on the top of the board, and even has the potential to gain another 10 points. All teams except for Akromas have been doing consistently badly against Culise, and that only because counters for Scizor were being picked as soon as it turned up - maybe the time is right that you start packing some serious counters, my efort alone can not keep Culise's score down. Also, wouldn't if just feel fabulous to finaly score some serious points off Culise:P?

GreatWyrmGold I am afraid will have some serious winning to do to catch up. While he potentialy could gain another 13 points and at least make it to 30, chances are low. He has been improving, however. He might not win, but in the last rounds, he may yet suprise any of the players racing for the first place by denying them points where they needed them most - certainly, he will tip the scales, depending on what pokemons he chooses in the last rounds - all he has to do is pick hard counters against a certain team, and can easily deny that player victory.

Kansa remains hard to judge. Now that his pokemon are fully evolved, his strength is now what it used to be - as demonstrated against Akroma, yet seems inconsistent - as demonstrated against Culise. He still has 4 battles to go, for potentialy 18 points - which would put him among the top contenders - but will he make it?

Rolepgeek has given us a performance just shy of Culise, and has the potential to gain another 20 points, for an amazing score of 46 - vs Culises possible 48. Without a doubt, it's these two players that any of us will have to defeat if one has hopes to get into the top3 or better. Idealy, one would pick counters to both, but what can deal both with rain and Alakazam?

Bluerobin has been the big suprise this tournament. Having a fairly slow start, nobody expected her to become a serious contender, yet her performance has begun to drasticaly improve. Where will she end up? Does the winning streak end here, for a decent middle score - but not top3? Or will her next choice catapult her to the top?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 05:57:35 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 28, 2013, 10:13:41 am »

Hmm, only 6 battles to go this round, 4 of them vs rolepgeek (so the delay is to be expected) and 2 that are Kansa vs GWG in round 3 and 4. I believe moving to round 5 will be okay, unless anybody objects?

Your pokemon are on lvl 80 now. You may add 2 more items to your inventory (except for mega stones).

Your newcomer this team is a (non-uber) legendary. A short list, but a list full of excellent choices. With only Rolepgeek using stealthrocks (and from what I have seen, rock attacks being somewhat rare in general in this tournament), even the lower tier ones like arctos and moltres, usualy held back mostly by rock attacks being everywhere, have a chance to shine. There are really no wrong choices here, pretty much all of them will be great at whatever job you chose them for - the question is, what do you hope to accomplish?

I'll wait in arts and crafts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 28, 2013, 10:38:26 am »

Fun fact about the Kansa battle: He tried to challenge me to them yesterday, but by the time I noticed, he was offline.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 28, 2013, 10:55:25 am »

Two things: First, here's a list of the legendary pokemon we have access to:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second, it's Thanksgiving weekend in the US right now, so I doubt everyone will be around. I'll be on Showdown though!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 28, 2013, 10:57:03 am »

Damn thanksgiving! Can't they be thankful for pokemon?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 28, 2013, 11:15:37 am »

Round 5 vs Akroma:

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 28, 2013, 11:24:24 am »

nah, while the RNG was massively in your favour, what really won the battle was fireblast on Togekiss. Otherwise Jirachi would have been an absolutely excellent counter that could have switched in at any time without a worry in the world. That, and Gastrodon being shut down by Trick, else I could have nout-stalled out heal-bells.

but yes, hustle hitting all the time, while Jirachi didn't even manage to get paralysis or flinch off, curses on you. Being beaten by the RNG is frustrating.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:26:05 am by Akroma »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 28, 2013, 11:25:21 am »

Shhhhhhh don't give away all my secrets!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 28, 2013, 11:26:38 am »

It's visible to all in the transcript anway :P

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 28, 2013, 11:37:45 am »

Fun fact about the Kansa battle: He tried to challenge me to them yesterday, but by the time I noticed, he was offline.
If you're online you might want to check back at least every half hour. We're typically on for at least two hours at a time.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 28, 2013, 12:58:26 pm »

Yes, please, use Articuno and Moltres. Please do. :D

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'll try to be on in time, but no promises.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35