Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35

Author Topic: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]  (Read 39059 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2013, 10:31:58 am »

- if you delete an egg move, you can't re-learn it in the following rounds, same for level up moves. Unless of course, they are also TMs.
- This is gen6, so TMs are of course multi-use. You may learn and unlearn TM-moves as many times as you like.
Fun fact: The Move Relearner now lets you relearn Egg moves in Gen6, as long as your Pokemon knew them at one point.  And breeders thus rejoiced.  Just an observation. ^_^

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2013, 10:32:42 am »

Whoa, I didn't know that. That's pretty neat.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2013, 10:37:06 am »

on request, the list of favourites already called:

Gastrodon
Gardevoir
Charizard
Volcarona
Camerupt
Togekiss
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2013, 11:11:24 am »

Only just now I noticed that not even custom matches or hackmons allow the use of evolved pokemon BEFORE their actual evolution level. This means that we will have to wait until round 3 to evolve most of our starters. Oh well...

That only means igglibuff will evolve this round, and that hardly creates any unfair advantage, so no problem
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:14:15 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2013, 11:18:22 am »

Woohoo!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2013, 11:36:35 am »

"Okay Sammy, remember what I thought you about throwing rocks at people. Now, it's time to go shopping. Maybe some new clothes will help you look less...booger-like."

After a long time of testing various outfits, Goomy is now sporting a kick-ass Assault-vest.

"Good, makes you look all dangerous, our rivals will probably hide in fear. But you know what the outfit needs Goomy?"

"Goo?"

"No, thanks to you, the outfit has more than enough goo on it. It needs some fur! Nothing sais "pimp* as much as a combat vest with fur-linings."

Goomy was not entirely sure about that, but went along anyway. Of course, poke-fur trade in this region was banned, but Akroma knew just the place....

"Ahh...so that's the place where Team Adamantine breeds various pokemons for their fur, perfect! Excuse me, Mr. Grunt can yo-"

"Shit! It's a 10 year old with a pokemon! It's just like the prophecies told us! ALARM EVERYONE! WE MUST DO BATTLE AGAINS THIS KID WITH OUR UNDERLEVELED DARK AND POISON POKEMONS!"

Several easy battles later, Goomy stood antenea-deep in corpses. Akroma now did not only helped herself to some nice, soft fur (once the blood is washed out), but also a free eevee.

"There you go little fellow. Would be a waste to just let you starve in one of the cages", she said, while leaving all the other eevees with unfitting IVs, Natures and abilities behind. "Instead, I'll raise you into a combat eevee! Now, hold still while I cut off your ears and tail. Those would just make it too easy for the enemy to grab onto you..."

"God damnit Evelyn, can't you just, like JUMP to avoid the earthquakes? You know, *adapt* to your environment and all? You better become strong and evolve into a fighting type, or you're soooo back to the fur farm."

--------------------------------------------

Akroma gains 1 point, Culise 2 points

Akroma gains 1 point, Bluerobin 2 points
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:02:49 pm by Akroma »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2013, 11:48:28 am »

"Alrighty. Puff, we had a rough first round, but that was to be expected. Let's go have some fun. What do you want to do today?"

"Igg puff puff, iggly?"

"You want to go... spelunking? Ok, let's go get us some gear and head out."

And so they went and explored caves for a day. Igglybuff was quite pleased with it all and evolved! On the way out, though --

"Watch out Puff! A gligar!"

*insert Jigglypuff song and pokeball capture sounds here*

"Whew, good work! We have a new companion for you!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2013, 11:49:04 am »

The boy wanders through the wilderness for a time, searching for Pokemon, which seem to be remarkably rare. He manages to fight a few, but sadly he can't catch any. He returns to base, carrying Cobalt's Pokeball, an empty one, and an interesting nut and a shiny rock.

"This sucks. I didn't get any Pokemon at all. Even the slimeball guy got an Eevee."
He tosses the seed at the rock.
"Seed!"
"Yes, I know you are...Wait, did you just talk?"
"Fer!"
"Awesome!"
And so his team doubled in size.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2013, 11:55:12 am »

"Whew, that Eevee really packed a punch, didn't she?"

"Jiggly jig..."

"Sorry Puff, I really thought paralyzing them would be more helpful. I'm sure you'll do great next time!"

Spoiler: Nope. (click to show/hide)

Culise: 2, Bluerobin: 1

The RNG apparently likes Scyther more than Jigglypuff. :P Also, I like how so far three of my top 5 picks for second pokemon have been chosen by other people. Looks like I at least kind of know what I'm doing?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:58:07 am by Bluerobin »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2013, 12:01:45 pm »

With umbrella in hand and a change of clothes to deal with the random showers Yu Shi kept summoning for fun, Shui Li set off on her journey.  Though the travel was occasionally difficult, the two kept on moving forward through all obstacles, including... 

"My, my, what have we here?"  The Scyther looked up from the thick grass, its left claw plainly broken, but without even a hint of hesitation, it raced in at Yu Shi, slashing wildly with its one good blade. 

"Tch, not good.  It's liable to hurt itself at this rate.  Yu Shi, let's cool its head a little."  Her Poliwag looked up at her and began to dance again, pouring water flowing down on top of the Scyther.  Following up, Shui lobbed the Pokeball at the attacker, which wriggled once before sealing with a chime.  Moving across to look in the thicket, she saw human footprints along with the remains of a shattered nest.  Most of the eggs had been broken in what must have been some fierce fighting, but there were still hollows in the ground that showed that some eggs were simply missing.  "This...it must have been those poachers the officer warned us about.  The Scyther must have been injured trying to protect its nest."  Yu Shi jumped up onto her shoulder.  "Come on, we'd best be off to find a Pokemon Center.  I suspect Iron-Crutch Li here is going to need some healing."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2013, 12:24:05 pm »

The boy found his first opponent: The one who he defeated last time.
"You! Ready for a rematch?"
"Better believe it, worm-boy."
"You sound very confident for a loser."
"Says the boy who beat one person last round?"
"Shut up!"

The battle started.
"Go, Nutty!"
"Sam, beat him up! No, Evelyn! You'll do better!"
"Yeah, right. Leech Seed! Feel the seediness!"
"Lyn, Wish!"
"Gyro Ball Gyro Ball Gyro Ball!"
"Go, Sam! Use Dragon Breath!"
"Thunder Wave! Also, stop trying to copy my dragons! It doesn't work!"
The blob of a dragon faints.
"Evelyn, go! Stupid useless Eevee..."
"Gyroball! Cobalt, finish her off!"
"Lyn! Frustration!"
"...Nutty, finish her off!"
Evelyn, frustrated, impales herself on Nutty's barbs, leading to her bleeding until she faints.
"Good job, Nutty!"
"...Well, that's the downside of a two-Mon team. Either you can counter something or you can't."
"Counter this!" Showing the level of maturity 10-year-olds are known for, he sticks his tongue out at his opponent.

Spoiler: Transcript (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2013, 01:03:29 pm »

Also, I like how so far three of my top 5 picks for second pokemon have been chosen by other people. Looks like I at least kind of know what I'm doing?

yeah, looks like round 5 has a very competitive line-up. A bit of a shame, after the first choices seemed like decent RP-picks for your favourites. I guess points being handed out is a good motivation to some. With Ferroseed I can see GWG gaining some ground after the slow start (of course Litwick will have a word in there). Meanwhile I decided to pick Eevee, trading immediate power against the ability to have a wider selection next round...but like this, I'll have to try rather hard in the next rounds to make up for the lack of points I'll make this round...I have my doubts eevee will be able to stand up against whatever Kansa puts alongside Litwick, so my already just medium-points will further drift away from the lead.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2013, 02:16:47 pm »

I'm not sure I will do as well this round as I did last round.

2 points to Akroma, 1 point to me

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2013, 02:34:06 pm »

updated scoreboard:

please doublecheck if I put in everything correctly.

also note, in the rounds 3+, there will only be points for every 2 killed pokemon, else a lategame sweep would easily decide the tournament, while erlier rounds will be almost meaningless
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:15:25 pm by Akroma »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2013, 02:53:27 pm »

"Oh boy, here comes the trainer with the Litwick. You go out first Puff, remember you have that berry in case you need it!"

"Puff jig!"

Bluerobin 2, Kansa 0
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:58:48 pm by Bluerobin »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35