Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Warlock: Master of the Arcane: Suggestion Game (Half-Elf, Half-Dragon!)  (Read 11860 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Warlock: Master of the Arcane: Suggestion Game (Half-Elf, Half-Dragon!)
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2013, 06:45:49 pm »

Capture the goblin city! Force the ruffians to produce tribute for the glorious, uh, elven empire. (Totally not ruled by Dragons, we swear)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2013, 12:12:34 am »

Archers: Explore unexplored west edge, heading north to goblin city.
Spears: Very quick excursion east. Not too far to come back west by the time the second archers finishes training.
Queue up a settlers after our archers.
Ignore the wild goblins for now.

Some related questions, I've gotten to ~105 turns, got a city on the far side of a portal (trying to hunt down the elementals within, but they are still more than a match for my armies, not to mention the dragons), and have been trading away mana to get gold from the other mages, as a 120 gpt income isn't enough to support the effort.
How do I improve my economy? I've been building tax buildings and banks left and right, capturing gold mines and silver, and trying not to build buildings that need gold maintenance; my food-to-gold conversion was giving me around 60 gpt, but is only round 30 now. Would Great Granaries be better than Mints, then?
And, I've gone with werewolves and shamans right now, but would trolls be better, or the upgraded elven archers are an option for me right now, or skeleton snipers? But a tech swap would probably cost more....

On a silly note, I've got a flying, invisible cutthroat with 7 movement scouting out to find targets in the other world. I've found 3 gold dragons from her explorations. And she hasn't been attacked once.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2013, 08:06:26 am »

Specialize your cities.  Have a 'gold city' that has nothing but gold buildings, gold multipliers and maybe one type of key unit.  Best place for these is near gold or gem mines.  Make mana farms that are all of the mana buildings you can build; they will also supply your mage type units.  Do the same for food.  Set these up on the terrain that provides the appropriate bonus, where possible.  Try to build towards "task groups" of 3 or so super units.  You only need one of each type of 'research' unless it is a necessary part of the tech-tree for multiple cities; replace redundant buildings with more production.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2013, 09:16:05 pm »

Specialize your cities.  Have a 'gold city' that has nothing but gold buildings, gold multipliers and maybe one type of key unit.
Yeah, doing that.
  Best place for these is near gold or gem mines.
Figured that out, but is silver not worth it? 
Make mana farms that are all of the mana buildings you can build; they will also supply your mage type units.  Do the same for food.  Set these up on the terrain that provides the appropriate bonus, where possible.
I usually have an overabundance of mana, but have figured out the food and terrain things. Also, have the spell to turn land into the food bonus. :)
Try to build towards "task groups" of 3 or so super units.
That makes sense. A bit difficult at this stage, but makes sense.
You only need one of each type of 'research' unless it is a necessary part of the tech-tree for multiple cities; replace redundant buildings with more production.
Redundant buildings, such as if I have two smithies, right? If I destroy a building, do I get to build a new one right away? Awesome.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2013, 10:30:06 pm »

Silver is worth it, but the unit-buffs you can purchase with silver mines are often fantastic, so you may want to go for their other functions.  Human cities can get 'silver weapons' which can increase damage by something like 40%, and some of the others are really good.  And IIRC they are multiplicitive, which is why superunits can get so good.  Silver and pumpkins are two of the best things for this (pumpkings pump resistances and grant regeneration, which is invaluable).  By contrast, the gem jewelry buff is expensive and not as useful early game (although it can be useful for your tanks later on). 

I mispoke RE: production.  You don't get to build a new one right away; you just clear up space for a new one, which can be important.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2013, 11:03:56 pm »

I very rarely have resource shortages, because of my play style, where I have very small amounts of units that I pimp the tar out of.
I usually take the starting perks that give extra experience gains and unit power.
Then I always go for equipment bonuses and try to level up my units as fast as possible, while keeping them alive as long as possible, then upgrading them to higher tiers when I unlock them.
Then research a ton of enchantments.

I generally consider a unit expendable until it hits level 4, then I spend a boatload of money and mana on decking them out with every equipment upgrade and enchantment I've got, which usually doubles to triples their attack power and sends their resistances through the roof.

Sorry for not updating, I haven't felt like booting up the game lately.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2013, 11:52:42 pm »

I have very small amounts of units that I pimp the tar out of

Well that is the proper way to play. Yet it gives me the strong impression the game wasn't balanced well.

It is always good to hold out money for the hero units... the right hero can win fights on its own (and every single unit in the game that I can see... can be a hero unit... even some of the other world unique units)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2013, 12:28:04 am »

Pssh, we don't want to hear about the right way to play. We want to hear about the way that results in the most violence, murder, and non-draconic bloodshed!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2013, 07:16:41 pm »

Pssh, we don't want to hear about the right way to play. We want to hear about the way that results in the most violence, murder, and non-draconic bloodshed!

Single all powerful units over waves upon waves. (It is why Goblins stink! Other than their stink of course)

Though you will want one of every race, since each race as unique upgrades.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2013, 07:52:11 pm »

Single all powerful units over waves upon waves. (It is why Goblins stink! Other than their stink of course)
Though you will want one of every race, since each race as unique upgrades.
Mutha'Frellin' Taishar Firsts with Gobbo regeneration! Then got the first aid level up perk once the hit level 5! Not even a greater elemental could touch that hammer time.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]