Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22

Author Topic: River of Death: Game Thread.  (Read 25761 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: River of Death: Game Thread.
« Reply #270 on: November 12, 2013, 06:46:44 pm »

Bethany shakes her head and laughs lightly. "I was asking about Eli's intended search for a clean water source, not your magic. I do appreciate the offer though. You said you can only make a limited supply, and I suspect my horse would drink most or all of it if I let her. The gods and ancestors will protect an anointed paladin such as myself from illness, so I myself do not fear drinking from the river if I have to, therefore it is only fair that I let everybody else drink the clean water before I do."

The young noblewoman offers the northerner a soft smile. "Once we split off from the other group, and there are fewer of us for you to keep quenched, I'm sure I'll get to drink your water and that it will be quite refreshing."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 12, 2013, 06:56:08 pm »

Eli smiles at the Paladins request. And the almost sisterly way they were becoming close. He thought the two were going to be very good friends.

He spoke to them both, then Ashii, then Bethany by herself.

"All my years of experience, I've seen a good horse can always tell you if it's safe to drink or not-and they're not too bad at finding water sources on their own...and she's right about that, Ashii. Her horse could easily drink six to eight gallons a day, all you could make and then some.

If you want to come hunting with me, my lady, you'll probably have to slip into something more comfortable-er, armor that is. Not sure if we'll spot any game, we might end up scavenging spiders and snails-Steffans favorite foods-but, it's best to be prepared if we've to do a bit of a sneak, or need to run something down. I've not noticed a ranged implement on you-do you need to borrow one? That's only if you want to come with me, of course. To hunt, I mean."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 12, 2013, 07:15:27 pm »

The noblewoman offers a businesslike nod. "I keep a chain shirt for such occasions where maneuverability is more important than protection, but I warn you that I move with the grace and silence of a rather angry toddler. It will take me but a few minutes to change."

Bethany sighs, embarrassed by her lack of preparedness when ranged weapons are brought up. "I should buy one when we get back to town, shouldn't I? I was taught the basics of both the bow and crossbow during my training, but it has been several years such I have touched either. I was trained to cover for archers and mages, and always kind of assumed that in a fight somebody else would cover the ranged combat for me."

Plodding back to the boat Bethany fishes out her chain armor, and begins removing her banded mail. The clothes under her armor are drenched with sweat, but the paladin has no intention to change out of those until she is done for the day.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 12, 2013, 09:30:57 pm »

Bethany shakes her head and laughs lightly. "The gods and ancestors will protect an anointed paladin such as myself from illness, so I myself do not fear drinking from the river if I have to, therefore it is only fair that I let everybody else drink the clean water before I do."
Vray approaches Bethany, coughing to grab her attention.
"I heard you say that you will be fine with drinking the river water, because you are protected from disease. Does that protection extend to parasites?"
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 12, 2013, 11:26:09 pm »

Morazin sits in the crook of the tree, amused. "Been a while since I've been the company of fun travelers, too long indeed. My teacher used to go on forever about the different wayfarers he would travel with on a whim. But then again, he was always very fun loving, even for a copper dragon."
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 13, 2013, 01:18:34 am »

The paladin approaches the cleric. "I will help you set up your tent. I'd rather not share a tent with a man for fear of scandal, but would you be so kind as to let me change in there to protect my modesty?"

"Of course you may use my tent to change. I am an honest man, so I shall stand guard for you while you change."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 13, 2013, 01:55:38 am »

Bethany shakes her head and laughs lightly. "The gods and ancestors will protect an anointed paladin such as myself from illness, so I myself do not fear drinking from the river if I have to, therefore it is only fair that I let everybody else drink the clean water before I do."
Vray approaches Bethany, coughing to grab her attention.
"I heard you say that you will be fine with drinking the river water, because you are protected from disease. Does that protection extend to parasites?"

Bethany pauses in consideration. She wasn't exactly sure what a parasite was, having heard of such things only in passing among other horror stories from the jungle. The paladin had just been assuming that it was like any other sickness, but Vray's words were enough to fill her with doubt. "I hope so. Let us pray we find clean water so we don't have to find out."

The paladin approaches the cleric. "I will help you set up your tent. I'd rather not share a tent with a man for fear of scandal, but would you be so kind as to let me change in there to protect my modesty?"

"Of course you may use my tent to change. I am an honest man, so I shall stand guard for you while you change."

Bethany gets her banded mail off and begins putting on the lighter armor, leaving her clothing underneath untouched. "Thank you for the offer. I will take you up on that when I return. No point getting into clean clothes just to go out and get them messed up right away."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 13, 2013, 03:18:50 am »

Eli nods at Bethany's choice of armor.

He takes his sling and a blue cloth bag filled with metal shot from his belt and hands it to her, if she will take them.

"Here-you can use this until you find something better. The range and damage are poor in comparison to a bow, but it allows you to put your full heft behind an attack. A bit of an pain to reload in battle, but you'll get the hang of it with practice. Ammo's also free if you can bend down and pick up a rock, so don't worry about practice shots.

It's quite easy to learn how to use anyway-and a lot more dangerous than you'd suspect at first glance."

Eli suspects Bethany probably was never formally trained, but nearly every child has had something to toss rocks at since the beginning of time. Skill with the sling comes naturally. He just hopes she'll take good care of his weapon!

((Eli has given his sling and a bag of 60 bullets to Bethany. It dose 1d4+STR bludgeon damage, range increment 50, Crit x2. Takes a move action to reload, so you can only fire once a turn usually.))

Eli peered into the forest once more, turning to Bethany.

"Ah, I'm ready to go when you are, My Lady."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 13, 2013, 11:23:56 am »

(Armor has been changed, and sling has been equipped on my sheet)

Bethany takes the sling and ammo, inspecting them with a poorly concealed grin. "I haven't used anything like this since I was a child... but the bullets look heavy duty enough to do real damage with. It should suffice if we have to shoot something."

The noblewoman straps on her backpack, and grabs her sword, leaving her heavy banded armor and lance behind at the camp. She then walks to Eli's side and follows his gaze out into the jungle. "I have torches should it get dark, and a few healing potions in my pack. Pull one out for me if I get badly hurt. The gods and ancestors have endowed me with the power to heal, so we are covered if I suffer only minor injuries or if anything happens to you. We should make haste and get as much searching in as we can before night falls."

Aid Eli in his hunt for a water source, and perhaps some game.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 13, 2013, 02:18:29 pm »

Eli's moves on, Bethany behind-his own tread seems to glide over the forest floor-skillfully brushing over leaf litter, stray twigs and scree. He moves with hardly a sound, nor crushes a single plant or flower.

"Indeed. I suppose you'll want some basic training anyway...

The first thing you can do is watch my feet. Watch how I move, and why...see how I avoid the soft ground? Only once you've tracked someone or something will you understand, but every print is another stone in a road leading to you-for we are leaving that trail wherever we go. Imagine a foe is always capable pursuing us along this trail, as is almost always the case. You wouldn't build a road straight into your home from an enemy. Concentrate on minimizing your trail-leaving behind nothing but wind and memory. In time, I'll even teach you tricks to hide your scent. Not that I disapprove of yours personally."
He says, with a smile.

Eli comes to a thorny bush-that seems near impassable, except for hacking it or stepping around. Instead, he simply lifts one specific branch-allowing Bethany and then himself to pass. A tight fit, but, one that doesn't disturb the land at all, nor incur the wrath of pricks.

"See? You don't hack and stomp through the brush...just move patiently, and with purpose. The wilds will show you the way through, if you respect them. And if you can find this path, you leave no trail, you make no sound-if you make no sound, you can be invisible...there is a time for battle, of course-the unavoidable killing blow. But, I have always believed slaying in one stroke spares your prey further shock and pain-and you further danger. And the only to do that is either with overwhelming power-of which your own is never assured against all foes-or great cunning. Of which is hardly less assured, but it is much easier to be cunning than strong-and neither of them denies the capability of the other, of course..." Eli says as they move along. Compared to how he speaks in a social setting-awkwardly-here, in his own element, he is amazingly calm, speaking in tones of great respect-it would almost be a religious reverence in his voice, if Eli did in fact follow any sort of deity.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 13, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »

The first thing you can do is watch my feet. Watch how I move, and why...see how I avoid the soft ground? Only once you've tracked someone or something will you understand, but every print is another stone in a road leading to you-for we are leaving that trail wherever we go. Imagine a foe is always capable pursuing us along this trail, as is almost always the case. You wouldn't build a road straight into your home from an enemy. Concentrate on minimizing your trail-leaving behind nothing but wind and memory. In time, I'll even teach you tricks to hide your scent. Not that I disapprove of yours personally."[/color][/glow] He says, with a smile.

Bethany does her best to emulate the ranger, but although grace and finesse are not lost to her entirely, it is clear that her body, be it by birth or through intentional training, was sculpted for power and endurance above all else. With each poorly laid or needlessly heavy step the Paladin admonishes herself under her breath in profanity laced Sylvian. She was far removed from her element, but unwilling to accept that as an excuse for any sort of under performance.

Eli comes to a thorny bush-that seems near impassable, except for hacking it or stepping around. Instead, he simply lifts one specific branch-allowing Bethany and then himself to pass. A tight fit, but, one that doesn't disturb the land at all, nor incur the wrath of pricks.

"See? You don't hack and stomp through the brush...just move patiently, and with purpose. The wilds will show you the way through, if you respect them. And if you can find this path, you leave no trail, you make no sound-if you make no sound, you can be invisible...there is a time for battle, of course-the unavoidable killing blow. But, I have always believed slaying in one stroke spares your prey further shock and pain-and you further danger. And the only to do that is either with overwhelming power-of which your own is never assured against all foes-or great cunning. Of which is hardly less assured, but it is much easier to be cunning than strong-and neither of them denies the capability of the other, of course..." Eli says as they move along. Compared to how he speaks in a social setting-awkwardly-here, in his own element, he is amazingly calm, speaking in tones of great respect-it would almost be a religious reverence in his voice, if Eli did in fact follow any sort of deity.

Spotting a series of small yet sturdy looking rocks that she could step between without having to risk disturbing the soil and incurring her own wrath, Bethany allows herself to participate in the discussion as it grows more philosophical. "It is clear we were trained to hunt different prey Eli. I suspect you know best when it comes to animals, and will defer to you, but I've been trained to work in a fashion nearly opposite to your own. I aim to make my presence felt among my foes, to make them afraid or at least nervous even when I am not right before your eyes. I have heard a cornered and frightened animal becomes more dangerous, but a cornered and frightened being usually just starts making mistakes. When the time comes to cross swords with evil, I seek to make them suffer for their sins rather than allow them a quick death, in fact I prefer to take them alive. A living criminal may be able to find redemption someday, or at the very least snitch on his friends and be executed publicly to show the common folk exactly what the wages of sin are."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 13, 2013, 04:03:32 pm »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 13, 2013, 08:47:08 pm »

Question: Are Bethany and Eli exploring now (starting at dusk) or in the morning?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2013, 02:50:16 am »

Question: Are Bethany and Eli exploring now (starting at dusk) or in the morning?

((morning would be better.))

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 14, 2013, 03:06:13 am »

((morning would be better.))

In that case Bethany drags a canoe ashore and overturns it, spreading her bedroll underneath, to protect herself from the elements. She takes the last watch of the night so as not to have to change into and out of her armor multiple times.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22