Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: River of Death: Game Thread.  (Read 25760 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: River of Death: Game Thread.
« Reply #300 on: November 16, 2013, 06:55:05 am »

"Proper coffee properly made is one of the many blessings," remarks Steffan. "And it would be wrong to withhold such a blessing from anyone. Except perhaps a tiny vicious gibbon," he adds, memories of yesterday still fresh.

What he does next might surprise some who have so far only seen his light-hearted side, or his impractical monkey-drawing side, or his tadpole soup-suggesting side, but is not so surprising to someone who has connected the monkey-drawing to his love of science, of ascribing order, or to, indeed, his reason for being here. Apart from the fame and the stories, of course.

"No more bloody monkey caricatures today, eh?"

Find a small rock that can be tied to the end of my rope. As we go, make soundings of the river to see how deep it is. Record this! Note any depths next to possible landmarks, bends in the river, that kind of thing.

Also - to the other end of the rope, attach a stick, and then knot the rope at 1foot intervals. Every time we stop, let out the rope into the current, count 20 seconds, and take a rough reading of the speed of the current. Note this, in reference to any possible landmarks such as bends also.

Stupid of me to have forgotten an accurate means of telling the time, but seconds at least can be counted by the use of the well known mariners' song Up The Swarthy Eejit, whose verses are exactly 20 seconds long when sung at the right (and obvious) speed.

Try to estimate the distance travelled (I think I alluded to this in RP thread on the first day)

Set off in the boat! No more sketching the hostile wildlife: instead take the above notes, estimates of the width of the river, that kind of thing. Time to be serious!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 17, 2013, 09:59:24 pm »

Ashii sat in the boat, lost in dark thoughts. One finger slowly stroked the scar across her nose. The jungle went past unnoticed.

Boat down the river.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 17, 2013, 10:47:50 pm »

"So... Priestess, is there any way we can help speed this water pouring along?" Holdron asks after he has re-donned his armor and warmed up for the day.

Check with the priestess and see how Holdron can help. Otherwise stand guard as neccesary
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 18, 2013, 07:10:07 pm »

Ashura woke up early that morning, grateful to find out she had not been stabbed while she slept. She spent most of the morning preparing for the trials ahead and made sure she had a bolt in her crossbow.

Load crossbow and stand guard in case any enemies show themselves
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 19, 2013, 07:36:49 pm »

Canoe 1:
Bethany: Seek the Lost Expedition!
Rohan: Follow Bethany.
Eli: Awkwardly avoid looking at Ashii.
Ashii: Awkwardly avoid looking at Eli.

Canoe 2: Orgarr: Rowing furiously to catch up.

Steffan's Raft:
Steffan: River soundings. River speed. River width.
Horse
Two-Dog
Amber

After a late breakfast of leftover bird and assorted fruits, a small company of five hardy souls split off from the main party in hopes of finding the lost expedition. Steffan navigates his raft up river, trailing languidly along the water as the pilot measures the span and flow of the river. Meanwhile, the canoe bearing Bethany, Rohan, Eli and Ashii darts too and fro from shore to shore as Eli stops to periodically examine odds and ends of potential trail-sign along the river.

As Eli examines each area for additional clues, Steffan makes his observations about the river, noting with keen interest how the water seems to be growing deeper and swifter as they row upriver. A glance to the sky confirms his suspicions; the sky grows dark in the distance with the faint flash of distant lightning dimly visible amid the clouds. A storm is sure to pass this way tonight. This discovery is only overshadowed by Rohan's keen spotting of a shape in the mud along the southern shore. Once closer, Eli identifies it as a series of halfling footprints, clearly distinguished by the small size and clear indentation of a halfling promise ring on the fourth toe of the left foot.

Temple Squad:
Holdron: Attempt to help with the ritual.
Alanorwan: Priestly duties.
Ashura: Stand guard.
Vray:  Faff about.
Morazin:  Faff about.
Kalnaf:  Faff about.
Maru:  Faff about.

Alanorwan explains that anyone wishing to assist with the ritual ought to bathe themselves in the river before midnight in order to be properly anointed by the River Lord's blessing. With a glance at Holdron, she also mentions that participants should avoid drinking anything but fresh water during the three days of the blessing.

By dusk, the ritual site is fully prepared, with circles drawn in the sand and urns and vases scattered all about, filled with blessed water.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:18:01 pm by Grek »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 20, 2013, 05:39:06 am »

Eli's senses took in the scene.

Halflings are very difficult to track, if they want to be. They can step lightly enough not to break the surface of a snowbank. Eli's first thought was that it was a females foot-sort of the dainty, delicate look of it. This one apparently wasn't hiding her steps, maybe unafraid or unconcerned of pursuers. A smooth gait, an awkward pause. Whoever it was was perhaps not used to boating, unsure of their footing. Not surprising, few Halflings learn to swim very well. They were at ease, here anyway. Then they moved inland. He recognized the ring, if not the meaning. It usually meant a bond of some sort, he thought. He could almost make out a scuff nearby. Maybe someone was standing close to her.

He turns to the party, curiosity and impatience in his voice.

"I suppose we can guess this Melody's tread. I remember Bethany mentioning she was traveling with her husband, and I think only female Halflings married or engaged wear rings on their toes. Steffan could tell you why and more, but I only know that they sometimes do. Cultures not my strong point, however.

If we're all agreed, we should follow this trail right away. That storm is going to wash away any easy trace of them."

Action: If we're all agreed, it's time to track

((I think Steffan needs to do a lore check on halfling toe rings and if the placement is important))
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:48:17 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 20, 2013, 08:23:07 am »

Steffan knew Eli’s tracking pose, and hesitated to move very far from the river so as not to ruin any trail – but when he mentioned there was the trace of a Halfling toe ring: well!

”You think it could be worn on the wrong toe or something? Like a sign? As far as I know, Halfling toe rings…”

Rack brain (and Bardic Knowledge) for any lore about Halfling toe rings! And their placement!

”Either way, we need to get going, no? There isn’t going to be much of a trail once those clouds have their way… How far do you reckon you can get us through this putrid undergrowth, Eli? We got time to hide the boat, or shall we just tie it as best we can and hope the rain and probable floods don’t take ‘em away?”

Get kit together, either drag boat and raft inland a dozen metres or secure to the biggest nearby tree with rope according to Eli’s suggestion, get porters (weren’t there two? Not just Two-Dog? Who is Two-Dog?) with their cages for samples, and follow Eli’s lead. If ever Eli signals that something might be up ahead, then perform Mimicking Song for as long as I can to give the party +2 to Move Silently. Imitate parrots!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 20, 2013, 08:59:42 am »

Steffan knew Eli’s tracking pose, and hesitated to move very far from the river so as not to ruin any trail – but when he mentioned there was the trace of a Halfling toe ring: well!

”You think it could be worn on the wrong toe or something? Like a sign? As far as I know, Halfling toe rings…”

”Either way, we need to get going, no? There isn’t going to be much of a trail once those clouds have their way… How far do you reckon you can get us through this putrid undergrowth, Eli? We got time to hide the boat, or shall we just tie it as best we can and hope the rain and probable floods don’t take ‘em away?”

Get kit together, either drag boat and raft inland a dozen metres or secure to the biggest nearby tree with rope according to Eli’s suggestion, get porters (weren’t there two? Not just Two-Dog? Who is Two-Dog?) with their cages for samples, and follow Eli’s lead. If ever Eli signals that something might be up ahead, then perform Mimicking Song for as long as I can to give the party +2 to Move Silently. Imitate parrots!

"It'd help to know if this was a male or female wearing this toe-ring. I only suspect it's a woman due to the uh...daintiness of the step. I've no better word. Women step softer than men, usually. Don't look at me like that.

And we'd better move the wagons up to dry land, cover them up as best we can. I suspect we'll either find the end of the trail or I'll lose it sometime around nightfall-and if we nothing and no trace by the following day, our luck has maybe run out. Theirs too.

I'm willing to keep going as long as I can make out prints, personally.

Who knows where the trail leads, though?"
Eli asks.

Steffan might recall the last time Eli said these exact words, it ended up with the pair being trapped in a cave, being readied for a rotisserie grill by a Gourmand three-headed Red Dragon. The friends only escaped because the heads began fighting with each other after Steffan succinctly told them there was only two people to eat and three mouths to fill, and how delicious he was, and how he preferred to be eaten by only the strongest head.

It was quite a clever strategy.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:02:01 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 20, 2013, 11:02:09 am »

”Well, that’s what we here for I guess, so let’s see how far we can get before the trail gets swept away. Still, as much as we want to move fast, we need to keep our ears and eyes open in case they didn’t just get lost, but something worse…”

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 20, 2013, 11:19:38 am »

"I suppose we can guess this Melody's tread. I remember Bethany mentioning she was traveling with her husband, and I think only female Halflings married or engaged wear rings on their toes. Steffan could tell you why and more, but I only know that they sometimes do. Cultures not my strong point, however.

If we're all agreed, we should follow this trail right away. That storm is going to wash away any easy trace of them."

Bethany looks at the print on the ground. She could not have spotted it on her own in this environment, but she had has doubt what it is when Eli points it out. "Thats a Halfling alright. Melody and her husband are gnomes Eli, but two halflings as well as an elf were also part of their party. I'm with Eli, we should follow, But we should secure the canoes before we start heading inland."

She then starts unloading her horse from the raft. "We best bring Amber along. Even if she would slow us down I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving her here. If we find somebody hurt or dead the horse can carry them back."

Follow Eli on horseback, lance at the ready.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 20, 2013, 02:44:51 pm »

Holdron seemed a bit annoyed by this turn of events "I'm afraid not lass. Is there something else I can do to help? Anything to lift or the such?"
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 20, 2013, 11:22:23 pm »

Rohan nodded at the others. "Sound plans from all of you. I agree that time is of the essence, so while we drag and secure the boats, Eli should start tracking? We must hurry, as lives are on the line!"

Help secure the boats then follow the others. Keep a close eye on the surroundings as we travel incase of ambush.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 30, 2013, 11:02:08 pm »

Steffan: While securing the boat by the side of the river, you muse about halfings getting engaged and orcs with funny names. Please see the latest Lore Post. You know everything there due to bardic knowledge.

Eli: You lead the expedition onward through the jungle. The tracks as easily followed and soon you come across the remains of what appears to be a village. The rounded straw huts are now covered in wet ashes and the smell of smoke fills the air. Although the fires have gone out, they couldn't have been set more than three days ago.

Bethany & Rohan: Following carefully after the ranger, Rohan spots a grisly sight in one of the ruined houses: a dead body. Though the body is badly charred, the face remains intact. The two of you share a look, realizing at once what has happened. On the corpse are tell-tale signs, a certain tightening of the lips here, a ghastly bruising under the skin and the formation of unnatural bumps under the scalp. All of it points to a single conclusion: Ghoul Fever. It's not clear whether this body will rise up from the dead - if it died of fire, it should remain relatively safe, but if the burns came after death, it may yet transform. In either case, it would be unwise for anyone without Bethany's immunity to sickness to approach too closely.

Holdron: On further reflection, the priestess agrees that she could use some help with moving the larger vessels of holy water around, particularly the larger two that need carried up the two shorelines. If you are willing to do the heavy lifting, she could show you where they need to go.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 01, 2013, 12:05:56 am »

Bethany taps Rohan on the shoulder. "Go get the others. Tell them not to get too close... I'm going to give the stiff a closer look."

Bethany examines the corpse, searching it for belongings and trying to identify it by race. If possible, she attempts a heal check to gain more insight into the circumstances of its death. She keeps her sword handy, just in case.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 01, 2013, 12:24:41 am »

Eli nods, moving to patrol the village while others look for clues.

Eli keeps an eye out for trouble while everyone searches and investigates-take a look around the perimeter and try to find out what happened here.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22