Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: River of Death: Game Thread.  (Read 25764 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River of Death: Game Thread.
« Reply #285 on: November 14, 2013, 03:08:53 am »

Tents are set up and camping ensues. Those who are injured have their injuries tended to by Rohan: Everyone who sleeps a full 8 hours heals for 6hp.

Ashii creates copious amounts of water, producing six gallons of liquid. Either exceedingly polite for adventurers, or too thirsty to be crass, nobody cracks the obvious joke. Meanwhile, Steffan tries his hand at fishing (1d20+1=14). The fish in this section of the river are small and colourless things, hardly more than a morsel. Line discarded as useless, Steffan uses his net to collect a pan full before the creatures swim away. Sadly, Eli identifies them as frog spawn rather than proper fish.

Rohan invites Alanorwan to share his tent, but something seems to get lost in translation. She laughs and informs him that while she is very flattered, she doesn't know him nearly as well as that.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 14, 2013, 07:05:16 am »

Ashii headed a small distance away from the others and prayed to restore her spells, (see char sheet for new spell arrangement) before returning to her bedroll.

For her, technically sleep was unnecessary. She could, if she wanted or needed, resist sleep indefinitely from her elven blood. Despite that, she could sleep when she wanted, and did so at most opportunities. She could only be seen now in her dreams, fragments of memories like a broken mirror.

---

Tonight she dreamed of an injured stranger crashing through the pine branches. Her breathe rasped harshly in her throat, and the arrows sticking from the shoulder and ribs dripped crimson on to the snow. She fell onto her knees, about to collapse, and Ashii was there to catch her, and the magic glowed as it healed her wounds. A pair of arrow heads forced themselves out into the snow in a surge of red, splattering the white ground.
She looked directly into Ashii's eyes and smiled...

---

When she rose it was just before dawn. A creature trilled in the gloom. Ashii walked to the edge of the camp and stared out across the river. The brown water sloshed in the darkness. Lost in thought, she watched the River of Death flow.

((Chance for RP go!))
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 14, 2013, 07:56:14 am »

Eli dreamed as well, but his were far more pleasant. He dreamed of clean rivers and clear skies-nicely tilled land...the smell of fresh bread cooking on a hearth. He knew this was home. And his wife...she was waiting for him...and singing. She was singing, so beautifully. He put away his tools (he sensed he was a farmer in some fashion) and walked toward his home, happy-for once...happy. There were other voices. Little children...and, maybe his friends?

He was sure he heard Steffan faintly, who was speaking in a language he couldn't understand about an impossible city-an amazing place where magic and technology somehow existed in tandem-it was all quite complicated. People rode inside of (or on top of!) metal monsters with glaring white eyes and horrible silver teeth-and used weapons shaped like the snouts of dragons to belch flame at their enemies. A future to come, maybe? It was truly madness!

....yet, he didn't care about all that...he just wanted to see who was singing. But, when he opened the door to see her...he fell back into the waking world, instead of her arms. It was quite a shock.

And he sighed then, letting the comfort and contentment of the dream splinter into fragments, then chips, then shards-then nothing but half a memory, to be reconstructed some way the next time he dreamed.

The ranger yawned from his position in the tree-it had been a quiet night, all told, and they had all rested and eaten well on last nights catch. But he sensed it would only become more difficult from here on out. Soon the group would split...and whatever safety numbers afforded to them would be gone. He would have to be more vigilant. He had spent a good portion of the night watching for danger instead of resting-for he had enough endurance himself to go without sleep longer than most his comrades.

He spied movement on the edge of  the Camp, and watched as Ashii-Karn rose and watched the river in silence. He mulled whether to interrupt her or not-then decided to just go for it. She probably knew he was here anyway.

Eli came to a soft landing beside the Druid, careful not to startle her-he could sometimes surprise people.

"....Good morning, Ashii-Karn. I trust you slept well?" He asks.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 14, 2013, 09:51:21 am »

She looked up and went back to watching the river. The first beams of dawn were peeking over the horizon, though the thick canopy prevented them reachign the ground. The ranger - Eli - dropped from his tree, politely bidding her good morning.
"Better than most my kind can, at least. Many half-elves cannot sleep at all. And you, Eli?" One hand brushed her pointed ears, then scratched at the scar across her nose with the familiarity of an old, repeated movement.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 14, 2013, 05:25:27 pm »

"More or less. I won't truly rest until our group is in relative safety, but Rangers know tricks to stave off exhaustion." He says, taking his turn looking to the river.

Then he looks at her.

"I dreamed of the smell of freshly baked bread. Isn't that odd? I've never been one to enjoy such things-trail foods been fine enough for me. I can't really cook anyhow. Steffan will tell you! I can make food edible, but it doesn't taste as good as it should. Says I should add more sugar and oil. Pah!" Eli says, with a barking laugh.

Eli is actually in a good mood at the moment-having lived through another night, he's momentarily letting down his guard-if only for a moment. Much like his ritual with his weapons, it's the only time he allows himself to relax.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 14, 2013, 05:36:05 pm »

She smiled. "I do not believe we will ever find true safety in this place, Eli."

She looked back at him.
"I do not know that smell. I have never eaten bread until a month ago or so - when I'd traveled out of the icelands. It has a strange texture and taste. My people and I survived off meat and fish, both raw and cooked."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 14, 2013, 05:54:24 pm »

"It's hard for me to explain something that seems so natural to me...bread is common in warmer lands. It tastes like home, and I never even had one...do you have such tastes like that in your land? Such Familiar comforts?" Eli says back.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 14, 2013, 06:08:46 pm »

"No, not really. Most people lived on the coast and hunted. Few plants grow in the icelands that man can eat. Only the moose and the deer find growths to their taste anything but rarely. Some of the villagers traded with the soft-landers, leather and whalebone for other goods like steel. Maybe they traded for food, too. But I never had anything like that.

I lived in the forests, at my sacred circle, but I would not call it home. Certainly not anymore.
" A shadow passed over her face, but dawn's rays illuminated her, preventing her mood from dropping. She looked up into the lightening sky.
She whispered something in Druidic, then looked at her companion. She translated.

"So hails the dawn." With a single smooth motion, she pulled her handbell out and rang it a single time. The clear note chimed in the air, strong and vibrant. Quickly she slid it back to whence it came, the bronze flashing once in the light.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 14, 2013, 06:19:15 pm »

"So hails the dawn." Eli repeats solemnly.

"...and if you ever feel about telling me about your home that was, Ashii-Kan, I promise to listen.." He says, treading carefully.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 14, 2013, 06:53:30 pm »

"I can tell you about the land, ranger," she laughed, and it was brittle and sharp as a shard of glass "... but if you wish to talk about why I left, ask directly. I was never one for twisting words."

She shot Eli a look. "You seem a decent man, so I will tell this. I left such beauty behind because to stay was to face what I did. That's all.

She returned to staring out over the river.

"The land itself... it was harsh, no doubt. As I said, little grew but the pine forests, living despite the snow and ice - thriving where other plants cannot. And where forests are, there is life. Order out of chaos... the snow-deer ate the pine, the wolves ate the deer, the men slew the wolves and ate the deer. It was balanced. If there was too many deer, the wolves glutted until there were few. Too many wolves, and the men hunted them so they would not starve in their villages. Little changed, not even the stars, eternal above us. I continued a tradition that has always been done: the Circle Of Pine's guardians. I was fostered on to the druids there when my parents did not keep me, preferring to live a life of wandering. Must not have been in the blood; I was raised by the Druids there and taught in their ways. We keep the circle, hailed the dawn, and healed those sick and injured that came to us. And so I lived my first 17 years. And then..."
She trailed off.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 15, 2013, 03:10:55 am »

"Then tell me what happened. My words only twist when I feel they will hurt someone if spoken without care." He says simply.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2013, 08:53:57 am »

She stared ahead rigidly.
"I met her. She staggered into the circle, an arrow in her shoulder, and arrow in her rib. I healed her wounds to the best I oculd, but the magic didn't take well. I nursed her back to health. We talked when she was strong enough. She became a friend. More. She had a wanderer's heart: she never stayed for more than a month before she left again. But she always returned eventually. "
A hand brushed the scar across her nose.
"She was a great warrior, as savage and deadly in combat as she was full of laughter out of it. Her two sides... fearsome warrior. Laughing lover. The barbarian tribes must have feared her. They kept away while she was near, never came close. She taught me to fight, as opposed to just heal. That's how I got this scar. I didn't dodge fast enough." More memories, so bitter-sweet and sharp they cut her throat and she almost sobbed.
"And so it continued. I was happy. Content. But nothing lasts forever, life or love or Gods." She realised tears were trickling down her cheeks. Her broken pride flared and she looked the opposite way from Eli, and weak attempt to hide any tears. "She gave me a bell, that I could chime it with her voice when I hailed the dawn. This went on for six years, and I was happy."

Her voice was almost broken. "I.. then I... I'm sorry." Her voice dropped to a whisper. "I cannot bear to say."

She stared woodenly away from Eli, the trees of the jungle blurred by tears. She made no move to wipe them from her cheeks, as if the gesture would acknowledge their existence.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 15, 2013, 11:16:23 pm »

Several hours after sunrise, Bethany is armored up and ready to depart. "Temple squad, this is where we part ways. Good luck to you all."

The paladin leads her freshly fed and watered horse back onto the raft, and gets ready to join the others in the canoes.

Continue in pursuit of the missing adventure party!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 15, 2013, 11:55:10 pm »

"Indeed. It's time to move on." Rohan agreed, quietly glad to be away from that Riverlord harlot. "I wish you all the best of luck. May Annam bless you and give you strength enough to withstand your trials."

Onwards with Bethany and the rest of the party!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 16, 2013, 02:35:01 am »

Eli suddenly found himself in a spot. He didn't know what to do...but, he was sure she wanted to tell him this-perhaps needed to.

Though he was suddenly nervous, he thought to say something.

"You don't have to say anything. Just let it out. If you need to be alone now, just say so. But even if we have known each other only for so short a time, I would try to comfort you. Your tears are no source of shame to me, Ashii-Karn. They tell me you have much to grieve for, since you have so much to live for-a life with someone who made yours better. And even when we lose someone, they live on-their spirits follow our footsteps, sometimes, helping us...love and happiness do not fade with death. Nature is as cycle, is it not? The river flows into the sea, then the sea rises into rain...the rain falls on the mountains and turns to snow, and then the snow melts and floats down into the river. Nothing is truly lost."

---

Eli finds a comfy spot on the canoe, still sipping warm coffee from breakfast.

"Surely, we would all go mad without Steffan's coffee making skills." he comments.

It actually is quite good.

Action: Onwards with they!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22