Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: River of Death: Game Thread.  (Read 25819 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: River of Death: Game Thread.
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2013, 12:59:34 am »

((Don't let them know you understand them. We'll play it close to our chests for now.))

Rohan smiles and gives a slight bow to the priests.

"You flatter me with your offer, but I'm afraid he's just not my type. And I understand you not needing a temple building as of yet, for we ourselves provide the real temple in our hearts and minds.

So, I was wondering if there are other requests that might be taken on for you outside the settlement? Since we are heading out, I figure that if we can provide extra services for you for more pay while we are travelling, then we would be quite happy to oblige."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2013, 01:35:40 am »

"Four thousand? Gosh. How long would it take to finish such a boat, master shipwright? And how much would you sell a raft for? If we took two rafts, would you accept them back in trade?"

Examine the unbuilt boat - how big is it likely to be when finished? Can the rafts fit a horse onboard? Will he go any lower than 4000? Any services in kind?

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2013, 01:50:59 am »

Kalnaf finishes off his meal at the Inn before heading out to the temple.  Not too sure about those other adventurers yet, but it'd be good to know that giant.  Seems to be kind.  Wonder if they plan to leave today?  Will have to return for my pack.  Pausing just outside the door, he changed his mind.  Need to get good cloak.  Annoying to move in, but it will be safer.  He headed in search of a tailor or general store where he could purchase a reliable small-sized cloak, intending to follow Urgarr afterwards.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2013, 02:18:02 am »

Docks Party:
The kneelboat is mostly a skeleton at this point, but will certainly be at least 20 feet across and 70 long once completed. The shipwright says that it will take around six weeks complete, but that he can get it done in an afternoon if you can provide the magic to expedite the process. When asked about the price, he rolls his eyes and explains that it would normally cost even more, and that he is only able to offer it so cheaply because the group commissioning it made a down payment for a thousand before "getting eaten by an owlbear, or whatever it is you explorer types do".

Rafts cost 100 gold each and can fit up to three horses at a time, so long as there is only a single pilot and the horses are docile enough not to cause trouble.

((If you want, you can make a Sense Motive or Appraise check to determine if these are actually fair prices.))

Kalnaf: You arrive at the Importer's Warehouse down at the docks and are quickly directed to the Gnome-Sized-Clothing shelf. There's a small selection of cloaks, but they're all either flamboyantly coloured or, in one case, black with a silver badger-shaped clasp. The clerk seems to see no problem with trying to sell gnomish-made cloaks to a kobold.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:21:19 am by Grek »

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2013, 02:26:20 am »

Inquire on the prices of cloaks, and determine if there's any that is either entirely blue shades or blue with very dark shades.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2013, 02:28:18 am »

Try a sense motive check if there's no potential negative consequences.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2013, 02:34:54 am »

Kalnaf:
There is a sky blue cloak with dark blue trim available for three silvers. Most of the cloaks are in that range.

Steffan:
You believe that the shipwright is earnest and honest about his prices and that there certainly must be a good reason for why the ship costs so much.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2013, 02:52:33 am »

Kalnaf purchases the sky blue cloak.  Not first choice, but it will have to do.  Will need to drop it to hide.  He quickly dons it and heads off to find the temple grounds.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2013, 02:53:30 am »

"I dunno Steffan. Usually a solid ship is worth the cost-and out here, I'd expect we'd get fleeced at least a bit..."[."
Eli didn't know much about money, however. If Steffan hadn't been managing the rangers finances, he would surely have gone broke many years ago.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:19:28 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2013, 03:04:08 am »

"Well, I don't know that we have 4000 gold to spare right away - but a raft for luggage would be useful, or two if you pair want to bring your horses? Otherwise I say we take the small boats from the inn, and get something more fitting when we return."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2013, 03:18:56 am »

"I'd want to get the lay of the land before I take Longstrider into the wilds. In case, not everyone in our group has a mount yet. She'll be staying behind this time.

But, I agree-let's buy a small one, and if we live, we'll see what happens."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2013, 03:31:42 am »

Steffan is so engrossed with the art of not spending several more times money that he has on a boat that he almost forgets one of the reasons he's here - song and lore. They might only be hobgoblins, but they might well also be foreign hobgoblins. Once he's arranged for a raft to be available tomorrow morning, he heads towards the ships, inconspicuously casting a small spell to let him listen in purposefully whilst admiring the craft.

"Come, Eli - I'm going to have a look over the larger ships. I'm sure I recognise that melody from somewhere. It would be interesting to know if they sing of something other than grog, loot and women... You can join me, or you might want to accompany Bethany back to the inn to make sure the Lady arrives safely. I'm not sure if you're offering your services as a guide starting today or tomorrow..."

Steffan didn't doubt that the paladin could take care of herself as far as the inn...

Buy one raft with my money and acquire sufficient boats from inn. Use Comprehend Languages to comprehend their song - note down the translation in my book. Back at the inn, eat heartily, drink to moderation, and get ready in the morning before the sun is up.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:42:07 am by lawastooshort »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2013, 07:50:33 am »

Morazin nods eagerly. "Good, good, that is more than acceptable! And as my friend here said, we'd be happy to perform any other tasks you might need, for a fee of course. I'm always happy to help out the priesthood!"

Wait for them to name any other tasks that need doing, then head out to the red-light district and party up before we leave in the morning. He will also try to include Rohan, Orgarr, and Very, if they wish to come that is.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:04:17 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2013, 11:08:02 am »

"I assure you that I only need a guide for the wilderness. A town is well within my abilities as an explorer. I would like to see if my Horse will behave on a raft though before we leave, so I will fetch it now and see what happens when I get on. I will return briefly."

Beth wanders off and returns minutes later with a cream-colored stallion speckled with brown marks on its chest and head. It looks to be of high breeding, likely from some nobleman's private herd. It is a bit skinny for a horse, but seems to have otherwise weathered the voyage across the sea well enough. "Alright Archon old friend, lets see if you can can handle the raft..."

As Bethany tries to lead her horse onto the floating platform she turns to the others. "I think after this I would like to visit that guild gnome again. He seems grateful enough for the help. I could talk him into keeping an eye out for deals on boats in our absence; something better could dock here while we are on the river. He could also line up more work for us for when and if we return here."

Things Bethany will do before the morning:
-See if her horse can behave itself on the raft
-Set up horse in the stables if it isn't cooperative with the raft
-Put her armor back on to appear professional
-Visit the Gnome Guild-master. Ask if he would be so kind as to keep an eye on the docks while they are gone, and to tell anybody selling a boat for 4k or less that the group is in the market for one. Imply that if all goes well the group will likely be willing to do more work for the guild if he can find something in the meantime.

Edit: Bethany also uses her super-paladin Detect Evil powers to see if the hobgoblins are as nasty as she has heard hobgoblins could be.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:11:01 am by Weirdsound »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2013, 01:45:00 pm »

Eli watches Bethany go perhaps a bit too long for casual interest.

"...ah, yes? The ships. Yes, I'm sure she can take care of herself.

Let's see to those ships."
He says, straightening his belt nervously.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22