Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of my proposed mechanic (see OP)?

Sounds awesome, go do
Needs more explanation before I can say much
Right idea, I'd tweak it though (and I'll either post or PM you to tell you how)
I'm ambivalent
I think that would be detrimental to the game

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Roll to Knighthood - Wait list forming  (Read 12486 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Knighthood - Wait list forming
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2013, 09:53:35 pm »

"trust me, the only reason for this is for help of getting food, do not try to stress the work however, i can understand your concern, tell me if you need anything else as so far you are the most valuable asset here."
with that done, if no more things are to be done, go help in the construction of the palissade, i must not make myself to be any better than anyone else.
go do what my knight said.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:10:35 am by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2013, 10:11:26 pm »

I noticed the poll and checked the mechanic.

Biggest thing is letting anyone change to anything regardless of what they were doing. There needs to be some sort of connection. In the example given, maybe the Arthurian knight could change archtypes, and only one or both of Arthurian knights or knights who committed notable deeds of monster-slaying would also be allowed to change.
If you are interested in a mechanic for growth and change, consider mechanics for what happens when a squire becomes a knight.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2013, 10:23:11 pm »

"No bandits, eh? I see."

Lionel leaves Bian to whatever he was doing and seeks out his squire. "'Hoy, Matis! When you went looking for bowyers earlier, I believe you said that you had found them, but they were busy working on the clear-cutting? There are more than enough hands at work there now, so I think a redistribution of labor is required."

Have Matis point out which of the workers are the bowyers. Pull them aside and tell them I am in need of their services. Order half a dozen bows and as many dozen arrows, to be completed in a timely fashion. They'll report to Matis if there are any problems.
Determine what weapons besides my iron sword are in the hamlet.
(The two miners'll have picks, the hunter has whatever, the farmers pitchforks, miscellaneous axes/hatchets... I'm not expecting a crate of halberds or something.)

((Isn't Bian the one who originally told Matis about the bandits in the first place?))

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2013, 10:23:45 pm »

I noticed the poll and checked the mechanic.

Biggest thing is letting anyone change to anything regardless of what they were doing. There needs to be some sort of connection. In the example given, maybe the Arthurian knight could change archtypes, and only one or both of Arthurian knights or knights who committed notable deeds of monster-slaying would also be allowed to change.
If you are interested in a mechanic for growth and change, consider mechanics for what happens when a squire becomes a knight.
Only reason I was gonna let everyone change is because I was looking for a way to deal with the following example:
Two people, waitlist A and waitlist B are on the waitlist. Waitlist A enters on turn 43 as a Mostly Good Class. Player Awesomeness kills the evil very bad no good demon of death which kills, and unlocks Class of Killing Tough Baddies, on turn 44. Waitlist B enters as that on turn 45, because Player Awesomeness dies of neurosyphilis. Waitlist A cries himself to sleep at knight (teeheehee) because he came in one turn too early.
As for squires becoming knights, I have thoughts worked out for that, but they're gonna have to earn their keep as squires for now.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »

Oh, that was supposed to apply to waitlisters, not in-play knights?

That makes more sense.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2013, 10:31:23 pm »

Oh, that was supposed to apply to waitlisters, not in-play knights?

That makes more sense.
Yeah, I was more thinking for recently joined people. I'll clarify that.

EDIT: OP fixed to reflect this
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 10:33:32 pm by Samarkand »
My Area

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2013, 01:13:12 am »

((Isn't Bian the one who originally told Matis about the bandits in the first place?))
Oh umm, just remembered, as well as that, he was supposed to be well known within the community, so should I tell you IC or can we assume that info came with me telling you originally?
Alan help.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2013, 04:51:12 am »

Angelica stuck around the alchemist's hut a little bit, helping a bit and asking about all the herbs and concoctions. Soon, though, she glanced back at Sir Mordred. She finished up what she was helping with and went to him.

"So, um, what should we do next, s-sir?"
Without a beat, Mordred said "We lay a trap for the beast."

Go see the hunters
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2013, 05:33:25 am »

Oh umm, just remembered, as well as that, he was supposed to be well known within the community, so should I tell you IC or can we assume that info came with me telling you originally?

((Well. Good thing I decided not to stick him in a stockade right away, which I honestly considered since he's, you know, lied to me. Either through you or to my face. Let's assume I'm aware of his status already.))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2013, 05:50:10 am »

((Well. Good thing I decided not to stick him in a stockade right away, which I honestly considered since he's, you know, lied to me. Either through you or to my face. Let's assume I'm aware of his status already.))
((Honestly, you did get a three, so the GM could have retroactively made it so he was threatened by the bandits or something, so far, I can't tell what kind of roll effects this has, not the exaggerated ones like in roll to fail but not the realistic, dangrous bad rolls as well like in einstienin roulette, hmmm...))
Alan help.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2013, 08:41:14 am »

((Since this is an issue of clarity on my part, I'll say that Bian is not the one who mentioned the bandits, and only the first piece of information Execute recieved was related to him.))

((Honestly, you did get a three, so the GM could have retroactively made it so he was threatened by the bandits or something, so far, I can't tell what kind of roll effects this has, not the exaggerated ones like in roll to fail but not the realistic, dangrous bad rolls as well like in einstienin roulette, hmmm...))
((I'll also clarify this, since it's a question of rolling procedure. Some rolls have hidden values, but it is known what they are effecting. This roll I chose to give the value, but to not give it's effect. I will tell you, however, that nothing was determined about Bian's character line retroactively and also that 3 tends to mean, for me, that you caught a glimpse of success but couldn't quite get there.))
My Area

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2013, 08:47:26 am »

Angelica stuck around the alchemist's hut a little bit, helping a bit and asking about all the herbs and concoctions. Soon, though, she glanced back at Sir Mordred. She finished up what she was helping with and went to him.

"So, um, what should we do next, s-sir?"
Without a beat, Mordred said "We lay a trap for the beast."

Go see the hunters
"Um, okay."
Follow.
Sig

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2013, 08:12:55 pm »

((Since this is an issue of clarity on my part, I'll say that Bian is not the one who mentioned the bandits, and only the first piece of information Execute recieved was related to him.))
Oh, yes, uhh, I do have another piece of info relating to the path, so ill tell you next turn, is that ok?
Speaking of:
the story so far...:

For Lionel Duncan, he was standing from his house, carved into a mountain, looking over at the lush forest that held the many homes of his loyal subjects, the main two problems in his eyes were the stock of food, and finding a mountain path to get to the more well developed areas of the kingdom and trade with them, for the path they had already taken was inhospitable and far too dangrous for common passing.

Lionel's squire, sir matis, spoke up first, telling him of the false knowledge that the food stocks would last a long time, asking the knight of the course of action with that in mind, the young squires knight responded by asking of the squire if said food stocks would last long enough to grow food crops and the like, as well as asking him to find out if there were any people with axes, seeds or livestock.

As matis silently tried to recall the information he had been able to glean, he pointed out that if the food did run out, the hunter had said he would be unable to keep the hamlet full just on his own efforts and the squire suggested he would look for the axes and suchlike while his knight went to ask the hunter if this was true.

His knight agreed to do so, and asked of the squire if he would be able to find any bows or bowyers as well.
As the knight left the company of his squire he went to some of the peasants and told them to construct a palisade but disorder developed even after he left, when he went to the hunter to ask of him if what he said was true, the hunter replied in the positive, confirming how hard he had to work just to get half the food the place needed, and told the knight that the food supllies, contrary to what was told, were enough for a small time, but were still not enough for a long period,

As we go to the squire, he went and found some people who belived a palisade was to be constructed from their own homes, luckily, matis was able to explain the situation and set everything back on order quite soon.

The knight was slightly annoyed by this revelation about the food stocks and quietly grumbled to himself while seeking out a butcher to help the skinning of the animals the hunter caught as well as implementing a rationing system that while it certainly made everyone work faster, made matis unable to find any farmers or bowyers, he soon found a cook who, which mild disagreement set of to help the hunter in the skinning and cooking of the animals.

The squire, unfortunately had trouble finding any farmers or bowyers because as before mentioned, they were already helping on the construction of the palisade.

After this, the squire suddenly recalled that someone had said that the path would have been infested with bandits and rushed to his knight to tell him of this news.

The knight responded by saying that a group of scouts should be assembled to figure out if this was true, and wanted to avoid sending any warriors, if there were any, as well as trying to continue to organise the clear cutting effort.

While matis couldn't find any warriors, and the knight could only find one person for the scouting group, he successfully put ne person in charge of the palisade construction and kept any problems from arising.

With constant setbacks for the squire, he set off to see if the hunter could bind any domesticatable, animals, not only for food, in both hunting and meat, but also moral as pets, when he asked the hunter, even though he was met with apprehension, he was told of a very large lynx, and told him he would try to scout out its territory.

Meanwhile, the knight was asking the man of his name to which he replied, bian and told him that there certainly weren't any bandits and told him that he would go up and back and show him that there would be no bandit camp.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:58:14 pm by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
Alan help.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2013, 05:45:45 pm »

((I just pmed xantalos and errol. Sorry I've been neglecting my duties. Also, execute that story is fantastic. After this semester is over I might try writing up stories from each perspective. If I have inordinate amounts of time.))
My Area

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2013, 05:46:18 pm »

Ah, good! Are there any caves nearby, good sir, or any unusually thick forests?

Ask about surrounding area with an eye out for features that the werewolf could use.
Also ask him who he thinks is the wolf.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8