Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37

Author Topic: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.  (Read 48745 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.
« Reply #345 on: April 02, 2014, 03:21:36 pm »

Fire... shit.  The fire in his dream... was this all what was going to happen next?  He should probably call for help, at least.

Call 911 to report the fire, then go outside to see if there's anyone who needs help.

Brian was torn between staying inside and hiding or getting help, but he couldn't just leave his neighbors to burn- plus, if it came to his own house...

((Don't you love it when the logical IC action is the totally wrong one from OOC knowledge?))
You pull your cellphone from your pocket and dial 911 without even looking away from the window. You attempt to select Fire and Rescue but it does nothing but play a rather harsh chime at you and then say all operators are busy. Huh...bad sign. You stuff your phone back into your pocket and then run outside, still in bare feet, and into the middle of the road in front of the burning home. There's no one else around, it's quite early in the morning after all, distressing glowing red sky not withstanding. No screams for help from inside the home, no one that needs rescuing...the only thing you can think to do is try to warn other people in the neighboring houses...that would be a thing. As you stand there, contemplating what to do, you notice that there are other pillars of smoke rising to the sky beyond the burning house in front of you. You spin around. Plumes of black are rising from all, some far away, but others quite close. The entire subdivision and the suburbs around it have broken out in scattered fires.

"That's not good..."

Agreed... that fire truck looks beat to hell. No way a sane man drove that. Think whatever this is claimed them next?

Thomas glanced back at the entrance.

Cause if it has, then I think that's a pair of firemen breaking in and smashing skulls. In which case, we need to run. Now. And hope they can't catch us wearing all their fire gear.

"I have no idea who they are or what is happening, and boy do I ever not give a damn. On a scale of one to ten: fuck it let's blow this joint."

Peek outside the door till I can see the firemen. Wait until the nearest one is inside a room, then go out and quietly try to reach the stairs. If spotted, make a run for it. If way blocked, machete time. See if I can reach my car.

You very quietly unlock the door  and ease it open until there's a big enough gap for you to get your head through and peek out. The second level walkway looks clear for the moment, though a room several doors down is spewing black smoke out through a smashed in door. You glace around one more time, grip your machete nice and tight, and then ease your way out onto the walkway, half crouched with the machete held out in front of you like a shield. You crouch walk your way toward the stairs and make it all the way to the upstairs landing before something lumbers out of the burning room on the second floor. It's a fireman in full fire gear complete with heavy, flame retardant suit, gas mask like facemask and oxygen tank and helmet. He stands maybe six and a  half feet tall, with broad shoulders and a heavy, deliberate gait, as though he's wearing leaden boots. In one hand he holds a fireman's ax, the blood on it's blade boiling and black from the heat. In his other hand he holds a drip torch, which is leaving a steady trail of burning liquid behind him. He's just sort of staring off into the middle distance, out over the second floor railing, at down town area in the distance. He doesn't seem to have noticed you.

(( Thanks, cause I think pretty much everything going through my head was 'I can't really make an action until I know where our room is in the motel' ))

Yeah, let's go.

Find something blunt and heavy, make a run for it behind Rico

As Rico peeks outside, you rummage through the room, looking for the heaviest thing you can find to make into an improvised club. You open all the drawers and find nothing more useful then a bible and a takeout menu. The bathroom doesn't have shit beyond the shower curtain rod thats bolted to the damn walls, and, while the idea of killing people with a crt television is pretty cool, it seems unwieldy.  The best you can find is a metal desk lamp with a nice thick base. You remove the lampshade lightbulb and wrap the cord around the thinnest part near one end to use as a grip. You give it a few test swings before sneaking out with Rico. You get just as far as he does and see what he sees as well. Looks like that lamp might come in handy.

Ah, fuck me.

Peer through the little eyehole on the door to make sure no gribblies are outside. Go around and check up on the people in the apartments next to mine, see if they're hurt or anything.

...Gribblies?

You walk out of your apartment and look around. The hall is empty and everything is quiet. There's no signs of anything amiss. Do you want to literally go around, knocking on people's doors in the early moring and seeing if they're ok? Because thats fine, I'm just asking to clarify.

Samuel puts the gun back, he doesn't even know why he picked it up. Reflex, must be.

Then he goes online, looking for any other news beyond the televised (and presumably looping) message of the declaration of martial law.

There's something wrong with the internet once you finally log on. The png file for the google logo is broken and the search and get lucky buttons have distorted, unreadable text on them. You search for recent news and brings up nothing but a list of equally garbled and unintelligible links scattered haphazardly along the page. The preview image links at the top look strange too.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 02, 2014, 04:55:16 pm »

((Once the internet is broken, you know you want the world to end already.))

We are already on the landing, right? So next to the stairs leading down?

If so, check if way down is clear (I'm not sure if the fireman is blocking our way). If yes, try to sneak down the stairs and get to my car. If spotted, run for it.

If the fireman is blocking the way forward, then climb over the railing and drop down to ground floor if it's only like two meters or so. If the drop seems too big to safely drop down, use machete to strike the fireman, try to slash at the driptorch or slit the blade between his 'armor'.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:27:31 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 03, 2014, 11:01:45 pm »

((Yep, blow it all up, it's over, GG.))

Well... can't leave them unwarned.

Start banging on doors of homes in immediate danger.  Keep an eye back on own place; retreat if any sort of threat comes to it.

((PW:  Was "fire on the second day" part of the original plan or did you accel it a bit like you were considering?  Or is that SPOILERS CANNOT SAY?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 03, 2014, 11:27:55 pm »

((Sorry for late reply, sick as a shit right now.))

Yes. I reckon the situation warrants it. Use calming authority voice to calm down people if belligerent, just assure them that since the situation outside looks fucked, I wanted to check up.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 04, 2014, 04:05:24 am »

(( I would bet this is what he planned on XD ))

(( Also, RC, if this is how your character wakes up every morning, I think I need to get away from you. And your character may need to rethink his life. Just saying :P ))

Follow Rico, same basic plan as him.

If way clear (or becomes clear), sprint to car.

If way not clear because of fire from the torch, get onto the stairs and head down a bit, then try to quietly climb over the railing and drop to the ground.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 04, 2014, 04:14:01 am »

((As I type this, some guy strolls next to my room carrying a big torch-like tool to burn away unwanted plant life. And of course my window was open, so now I get to enjoy the subtle musk of burning weeds for the rest of the day. Sets the mood nicely I'd say.))

(( Also, RC, if this is how your character wakes up every morning, I think I need to get away from you. And your character may need to rethink his life. Just saying :P ))
((He used to get by with a pot of coffee, but after a while that just doesn't do it anymore to really get that blood pumping, y'know?))
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:22:42 am by Radio Controlled »

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 04, 2014, 06:04:29 am »

((As I type this, some guy strolls next to my room carrying a big torch-like tool to burn away unwanted plant life. And of course my window was open, so now I get to enjoy the subtle musk of burning weeds for the rest of the day. Sets the mood nicely I'd say.))
(( The end is clearly upon us. We are all doomed XD ))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #352 on: April 08, 2014, 10:52:29 pm »

PYROOOOOO

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 09, 2014, 06:04:28 pm »

That can't possibly be good.

Samuel closes it out, and pulls out his phone, attempting to call the man he'd met in the hospital. Never did get his name.

(I am so sorry, Kri - this might make your cell ring and alert the guy you're sneaking around. If PW decides that the grid is still somewhat up, beyond police 911 calls. But hey - Sam doesn't know you're... indisposed.)
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 09, 2014, 07:34:20 pm »

(( Yeah, no problems if it does, we all know how this game works. And let's be honest, that sort of thing happening is part of what makes this !!fun!!

You're an hour out from me, so I have an hour to get to safety. And that's assuming the network is working, as you said))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 12, 2014, 04:50:51 am »

Hey guys, think I should buy a bumpersticker for Rico's car?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #356 on: April 13, 2014, 01:32:28 pm »

We are already on the landing, right? So next to the stairs leading down?

If so, check if way down is clear (I'm not sure if the fireman is blocking our way). If yes, try to sneak down the stairs and get to my car. If spotted, run for it.

If the fireman is blocking the way forward, then climb over the railing and drop down to ground floor if it's only like two meters or so. If the drop seems too big to safely drop down, use machete to strike the fireman, try to slash at the driptorch or slit the blade between his 'armor'.

(( I would bet this is what he planned on XD ))

Follow Rico, same basic plan as him.

If way clear (or becomes clear), sprint to car.

If way not clear because of fire from the torch, get onto the stairs and head down a bit, then try to quietly climb over the railing and drop to the ground.

Rico gets about two steps down the stairs when Thomas' cell phone starts ringing. He fumbles to get it from his pocket and turn it off, but the the Fireman's head as already whipped around. Dull eyes stare through the plastic lenses of the respirator and the ax clangs against the metal railing of the walkway has his arm goes limp, then suddenly rigid. The fireman charges forward, the ax grinding along the railing and throwing sparks as he does.

((Yep, blow it all up, it's over, GG.))

Well... can't leave them unwarned.

Start banging on doors of homes in immediate danger.  Keep an eye back on own place; retreat if any sort of threat comes to it.

((PW:  Was "fire on the second day" part of the original plan or did you accel it a bit like you were considering?  Or is that SPOILERS CANNOT SAY?))

You run to the house thats directly to the right of the burning one and start banging on the door. You pound your fists against the door and ring the door bell like crazy. No response. You move on to the next one. This one takes a good 30 seconds, but someone does eventually come. You say very little to the groggy, confused looking man, save to point him toward the burning house and move on to the next one. You continue this same pattern around the cul-de-sac, and manage to alert a fair number of people. They all wander out into the street in slippers or bare feet and stand in front of the burning house, just sort of staring. Some hold cellphones to their ear but don't ever say anything. Slowly, the fire spreads to the two connected houses and the mob becomes panicked. It's clear that no one is coming to help them. A few try to douse the flames using garden hoses, others sprint back to their homes and begin pulling things out and throwing them on the lawn. Some just take their families and sit on the curb, cellphone still to their ear. The fire continues to spread.

((Sorry for late reply, sick as a shit right now.))

Yes. I reckon the situation warrants it. Use calming authority voice to calm down people if belligerent, just assure them that since the situation outside looks fucked, I wanted to check up.

You simply go down the hall, banging on doors until someone answers and then informing them that, in your own words, "The situation outside is fucked" and that you wanted to make sure they're ok. Some answer, some don't. Some rooms seem empty, and a few people seem to already be more then aware of whats happening and refuse to open the door or do anything more then shout at you to go away and that they're armed. You reach the end of the hall and are about to move on to the next when you stop.

You smell smoke.

That can't possibly be good.

Samuel closes it out, and pulls out his phone, attempting to call the man he'd met in the hospital. Never did get his name.

(I am so sorry, Kri - this might make your cell ring and alert the guy you're sneaking around. If PW decides that the grid is still somewhat up, beyond police 911 calls. But hey - Sam doesn't know you're... indisposed.)
The phone rings twice and then there's the distinct sound of it being opened, a screeching metal noise and then it being slammed shut again, ending the call.

Um...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 13, 2014, 03:02:18 pm »

((Gee, thanks pyro  :P ))

Start running down those stairs, try to get to the car.

"Run for it! If one of us gets to our car we can run over that sucker.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 13, 2014, 09:30:51 pm »

(( Apparently, Pyro's clock is on DST for some reason. OH WELL! :P ))

BloodyphonewhyareyounotoffFUCK

RUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuun

Down the stairs and away from the building ASAP. Aim to get to my car.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 13, 2014, 09:52:56 pm »

Fuck!

Brian isn't a firefighter, and there's no time to go hop on Google to figure out what to do here.  Where are the fire trucks?  Why'd the fire start anyway?

Didn't fires spread through sparks?

Get a hose and start hosing down the roof of own house.  Get everything possible soaking wet.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37