Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37

Author Topic: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.  (Read 48846 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational then reality.
« Reply #240 on: January 09, 2014, 09:49:03 am »

Try to think if there is something like a parking that is open at night. Idea is to rest in my car till tomorrow. Be sure not to park in a bad neighborhood or somewhere where I'm likely to get carjacked. Check if I have service for my simple cellphone. If i don't have one yet, buy a cheap one and put 25 dollars worth of time on it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 09, 2014, 02:20:33 pm »

Well, miss, would [old partner's name], [old supervisor] or [police chief] be in?

Ask.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:08:01 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #242 on: January 10, 2014, 01:02:25 pm »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 10, 2014, 01:08:39 pm »

Fwip.
In other news, working all the time over the weekend suck.
s.
Sig! Onol

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #244 on: January 10, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »

Ah, my apologies. I was in a bit of a rush, you know?

Put in my last residence. Consult the address on my driver's license if I can't remember it.

All goes well / if they refuse to give me moneys, head over to a Best-buy type store and find a laptop with cellular access, or find a cellular access card. Inquire about the price of an appropriate cellular plan and financing for the laptop.

The man takes your form back and disappears for several minutes. When he returns he's sporting a very angry look.

"We've just called the residence you claim as your own and it turns out the people who live there have no idea who you are. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave before I call the police." He says, in a very official and grumpy fashion

You nod your head slowly before promptly sprinting for the door and running back to your van. You climb inside and drive a few blocks before feeling safe enough to sigh. You don't want to be arrested. Not now. Being trapped in a prison sell when the world ends? Probably not a good place.

You drive a few more blocks until you come across a "Circuit shack" with it's characteristic fake wood exterior and oldtimey slanted roof.

You head inside and search around a bit. The cheapest laptops are netbooks for about 200 bucks and you can get an external, plug in device that lets you connect to a 3g provider for 70 bucks, plus a one year subscription of 55 bucks.

Try to think if there is something like a parking that is open at night. Idea is to rest in my car till tomorrow. Be sure not to park in a bad neighborhood or somewhere where I'm likely to get carjacked. Check if I have service for my simple cellphone. If i don't have one yet, buy a cheap one and put 25 dollars worth of time on it.
Well, we'll say you got a cellphone in your previous shopping, to save time. And yes, it has service. For now.

As per places to sleep, the thing you can think of that might work out well is one of those pay parking garage structures.The ones where you pay like 5 dollars to park. They have gates and lights and probably security guards as well. You're not technically sure if you're allowed to sleep in them...but worst comes to worst and some Rent-a-cop find you napping in your car, then he'll just ask you to leave. It seems like it would be worth a shot, at least.

Well, miss, would [old partner's name], [old supervisor] or [police chief] be in?

Ask.

"Your partner is out, along with most of the officers, but the chief is still in. He's working on a press release or a briefing for the mayor or something similar. You can go talk to him if you want, I'll unlock the door."

She presses a button under the desktop and a door off to the right opens with a metallic "PING" noise as an electrically controlled locking pin slides out of place.

"Be careful though. Everyone is walking on eggshells around here; what with the press and the public demanding answers we don't have."

(You used about an hour Kri.)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 11, 2014, 01:16:55 pm »

Go to pay parking garage, pay for 1 night. Ask around if there's a motel or something around here.

Try to call that guy from the moneyplace.

(Gonna wait a turn untill PW confirms I can call you.)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2014, 03:04:20 pm »

Thank you, ma'am. This shouldn't take very long either way.

Head into the chief's office.
Sig! Onol

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2014, 03:19:27 pm »

KRI!

In particular because if you want to talk to Radio your times have to line up and you're about 2 hours behind him.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 13, 2014, 04:17:37 pm »

KRI!

In particular because if you want to talk to Radio your times have to line up and you're about 2 hours behind him.

(( Yeah, getting to it. I'll have a post up after class (in a few hours) ))

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 13, 2014, 08:00:25 pm »

(( heh, I just noticed that it was 'circuit shack' well, that answers my questions :P ))

Make sure the netbook in question has an Ethernet port, find the cheapest one that has an ethernet port if it doesn't.
Ask about extra batteries (up to 3) or hand charging devices, then find some 'generic connectors' (short USB cables, monitor cable, etc.) for each port the poor netbook has.
Find a long (50') ethernet cable, a wire stripper/cutter/crimper, and a pile of terminals (extra ethernet terminals, serial port terminals, some other randomly selected ones)

(( Essentially, everything I need to make new and varied cables. Reduce that however you like :P ))

Get final total on the pile of wires. If <500$, pay for it and head to the library to start charging the batteries.

While, waiting, more internets! Continue pinging local social media and news for more information on today's events while doing other things.
Other things: search for a mechanic that does day-of modifications to vehicles, especially things like securing doors and windows.
Search for a hotel with parking and free wireless in the area.
Download a telnet program, and a program that will let me to use the ethernet or usb port with different formatting

(( That should kill a few hours. Or dice. XD ))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #250 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:48 pm »

Go to pay parking garage, pay for 1 night. Ask around if there's a motel or something around here.

Try to call that guy from the moneyplace.

(Gonna wait a turn untill PW confirms I can call you.)
You drive around the business district for a little while until you find a parking structure that doesn't look too seedy. You fork over a few bucks and park your car before talking to the attendant and asking about a motel.

"There's a motel 9 about 2 miles down." the man in the booth says with a shrug. "'bout all I know of."

You thank him and walk back to your car before digging the card the strange man gave you out of your pocket. You're rather reluctant to call him, seeing as he is, as far as you can tell, just a crazed hobo with business cards. Then again, you're a recently released mental patient with a trunk full of survival gear and illegally gained money...

You dial the number scribbled onto the back of the card and let it ring.

Thank you, ma'am. This shouldn't take very long either way.

Head into the chief's office.
You head through the door and down the familiar, fake oak paneled hallways. The chief's office has one of those distinctive "Detective doors" the kind with the wavy, warped glass and his name etched into it. The kind that they always show the shadow of some dame crossing in the beginning of Noir movies. They always did make fun of  him for that.

Inside, the chief, a balding, heavy set man in his 50's with prematurely graying hair, a heavy mustache and jowls, is hunched over his desk, hen pecking away at the keyboard of a computer that looks to be about 15 years out of date.  He's grumbling audibly to himself about everything from the press to the computer to the lack of relish on his hotdog this afternoon.

He doesn't seem to have noticed that you walked in.

(( heh, I just noticed that it was 'circuit shack' well, that answers my questions :P ))

Make sure the netbook in question has an Ethernet port, find the cheapest one that has an ethernet port if it doesn't.
Ask about extra batteries (up to 3) or hand charging devices, then find some 'generic connectors' (short USB cables, monitor cable, etc.) for each port the poor netbook has.
Find a long (50') ethernet cable, a wire stripper/cutter/crimper, and a pile of terminals (extra ethernet terminals, serial port terminals, some other randomly selected ones)

(( Essentially, everything I need to make new and varied cables. Reduce that however you like :P ))

Get final total on the pile of wires. If <500$, pay for it and head to the library to start charging the batteries.

While, waiting, more internets! Continue pinging local social media and news for more information on today's events while doing other things.
Other things: search for a mechanic that does day-of modifications to vehicles, especially things like securing doors and windows.
Search for a hotel with parking and free wireless in the area.
Download a telnet program, and a program that will let me to use the ethernet or usb port with different formatting

(( That should kill a few hours. Or dice. XD ))

You buy your long list of electronic crap for 400 bucks and then head off to the library.  You plug the batteries in to charge them one at a time, though it's gonna take a while to get them all up to full. As it charges, you scan through the internet, looking for anything new or interesting about the events going on. Beyond the fact that the hospitals have all been closed down, there's really nothing new here. Disappointing.

One of the batteries is done charging and you're switching it out when your phone rings.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2014, 09:04:34 am »

((Gonna wait to talk till Kri picks up his phone. If he wants to, of course.))

Make sure the car is locked and the stuff in it is reasonably secured. Then go to the motel, book for 1 night. Get a cheap room.

((I'm guessing this game will pick up the pace once the limbs start flying...

Until then though, let's enjoy the peace.))

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2014, 06:21:25 am »

(( Oh yeah, I'm sure we'll pick up the pace significantly after a day or two :P ))

Hmm. Must be one of the dreamers. No idea who else would be calling... I wonder which one.

Thomas lets it ring for a bit and then picks it up.

Good evening. How's your day been? Not too much insanity, I hope?

Continue charging batteries and such while talking.

Double check that there is no activity on the local medical forums.
Check official channels (policy, fire, govt) to see if there is any request (discrete or otherwise) for functioning medical professionals to aid them or the hospitals

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 18, 2014, 07:04:39 am »

"Don't you smartass me. I have no idea why I'm even calling you, but if you had anything to tell me in that moneyplace before, now's the time. You have 1 minute. Shoot."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 18, 2014, 08:37:01 am »

((Every time I see this on the thread lists I see "May be more rational then reality" I take it as the character May from ER :P
Just thought I'd share that.))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37